Speculation: The first in a Fleury of posts about how the Pens aren't in a Murray to move a goalie

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This post is ALL ABOUT THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS GOALTENDER SITUATION VIS-A-VIS MARC-ANDRE FLEURY AND MATT MURRAY.

If this does NOT INTEREST YOU, then don't read it.

Conversely, LET THE DRAFT THREAD AND THE FREE AGENCY THREAD BE ABOUT DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Because I don't want dead cap space for 4 years when we could have already moved Fleury and signed or traded for a decent back up

Won't be a concern unless Murray leads the Pens to the cup this coming year.

Otherwise, they can just trade Murray.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Trading a goalie and getting a cheap backup was the only thing JR had to do. If he did that and nothing else the offseason would be perfectly fine. He failed.

It's not Benning level yet, but that's the territory we're approaching here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think JR made a mistake. Maybe we end up moving Fleury but I suspect the return will be worse and drama could ensue on the team in the mean time.

Crosby is like Fleurys best friend. I know Sid wants to win more than anyone, but does anyone really believe him and other leaders won't be pushing for Fleury behind the scenes, at least a little?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
First and foremost my biggest concern is the effect the split has in the locker room. We will worry about the expansion draft when we get there. Hopefully there is no animosity between the two goalies.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Trading a goalie and getting a cheap backup was the only thing JR had to do. If he did that and nothing else the offseason would be perfectly fine. He failed.

It's not Benning level yet, but that's the territory we're approaching here.

seriously, keep kunitz, trade bennett, whatever, this is the only thing he needed to do and i would be fine with it

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
What other goalies (good ones) are going to be exposed? If Pouliot does well it could change things a little. Do we go the 8 skater route and expose a good forward? Do we leave Poo exposed (Peter Griffin laugh :laugh:) ? If we still want to keep Murray the price to Vegas won't be as much (or at all) if Pouliot does well.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Does everybody really believe that MAF will be unmovable before the expansion draft? So you not think if worst came to worst, we couldn't even send him off for a 7th rounder?

Like Walter Sobchak said in The Big Lebowski- "Relax, nothing is ****ed here, Dude!"

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Also our only hope for the rest of the summer is if Fleury actually asks for a trade. Even though i dont know if Dallas would want him. Or if he would go there considering a start split would also happen there.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
It amazes me that Tampa and St Louis aren't scared to move on from their #1 goalies. But here we are too scared too let go of flopping Fleury and let Murray take the reigns. So much for thinking this organization turned a corner.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think JR made a mistake. Maybe we end up moving Fleury but I suspect the return will be worse and drama could ensue on the team in the mean time.

JR has made his bed. At this point we get Murray and 4 years of cap penalties or Fleury. No one will do us the favor of taking Fleury without sending a salary cap boat anchor back to us.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The MYTH that the Pens can trade Fleury in 12 months . . .

There are 29 options.

Following teams won't/can't trade for Fleury: LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Nashville, Chicago, Florida, Tampa, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Washington, Rangers, Devils.

That's 14 teams. Meaning, there are 15 CONCEIVABLE partners for Fleury.

You gonna trade him to Philly?

Columbus can't trade for him until they get out of Bob. Same for Colorado with Varlamov. Dallas with it's goalies.

What about Minny's commitment to Dubnyk or Edmonton with Talbot?

Counting on Allen to fail in STL.

Will Carolina deal with JR?

We gonna trade him to the Isles?

Here's what I'd anticipate his 12 team list being if he listens to Allen Walsh:

Edmonton, Vancouver, Phoenix, Dallas, St Louis, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Carolina.

AND, that assumes Dallas doesn't get Bishop, in which case Columbus gets added.

NOW, give me your hypothetical Fleury trade after July 1, the one where you can get around him forcing you to buy him out, which is what happens if he listens to Walsh.

EDIT: **** me, IC said it's 12 teams can accept. This is easy: Washington, NY Rangers, Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Montreal, Boston, Tampa, New Jersey, Nashville, Toronto, Florida.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What other goalies (good ones) are going to be exposed? If Pouliot does well it could change things a little. Do we go the 8 skater route and expose a good forward? Do we leave Poo exposed (Peter Griffin laugh :laugh:) ? If we still want to keep Murray the price to Vegas won't be as much (or at all) if Pouliot does well.

Without knowing other goalie moves, it's between Bishop and Murray and an expansion team could take both. Say Bishop is their guy they take Murray and flip him for major assets.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Does everybody really believe that MAF will be unmovable before the expansion draft? So you not think if worst came to worst, we couldn't even send him off for a 7th rounder?

Like Walter Sobchak said in The Big Lebowski- "Relax, nothing is ****ed here, Dude!"

Why take a 7th in a year when we could have had 2 2nds today?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
I like to have a strong goalie tandem. If, sorry, when Murray will get injured (he is a Penguin, remember?) I don't want a Zatkoff, I want a Fleury to rely on.
Then the expansion draft will be taken care next year, because there will be always be a market for a top-10 goalie like Fleury. Or Murray will suck, and we keep MAF.

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
Rabble!

I just wish I knew the exact mindset. Was it we weren't truly offered enough for their liking? Were they never going to trade him for Murray security? Do they not want to upset either MAF or others in the locker room?

From the sounds of it JR doesn't sound too worried about cap space for whatever reason.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This all seems like a pretty decent way to potentially ostracize the goaltender who just put in a huge performance to bring the Cup back to Pittsburgh. But I'm sure he'll be a good soldier and quietly back up Fleury all season after dominating at every level and being counted among the top three reasons (in my estimation) for winning the biggest prize in the sport.

But I'm a moron who evidently has reading comprehension problems. So what do I know. At least Fleury will have that big ol' toothy smile all year, again. What a guy!

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

There are 29 options.

Following teams won't/can't trade for Fleury: LA, Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary, Nashville, Chicago, Florida, Tampa, Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Washington, Rangers, Devils.

Columbus can't trade for him until they get out of Bob. Same for Colorado with Varlamov. Dallas with it's goalies.

Edmonton, Vancouver, Phoenix, Dallas, St Louis, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Colorado, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Carolina.

NOW, give me your hypothetical Fleury trade after July 1, the one where you can get around him forcing you to buy him out, which is what happens if he listens to Walsh.

Please just sticky this post. When someone says everything is fine we need to be patient, show them this post.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub

There are 29 options.

:handclap:

Murray is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad