The Fire John Hynes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
0-3-2 may not be a huge hole for a good team to climb out of but the Devils aren’t a good team, at least not yet. I think their issues are mostly coaching based but it would be asking a lot for this group to start setting the world on fire even if a change is made. I’m in the camp that they absolutely cannot afford to fall any further behind. This next week is critical. Personally, they miss the playoffs so much now that I’m pretty numb to it. It’s whatever. I’d just like to see the team play some competent hockey so that the games can be enjoyed again, win or lose. That alone has me wanting a new coaching staff. Watching them at this point is literally a complete waste of 2 1/2 hours. The product is beyond awful.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I can’t shake the nagging feeling that this season is more about getting Hall extended than actually making the playoffs. I realize it may be that if the team doesn’t turn it around that Hall leaves but if Hall really likes Hynes then Shero just might believe a turnaround has to happen under Hynes. If Hall wasn’t a big Hynes supporter does anyone see Hynes getting extended last season? Somehow they seem linked to me.

Except that playoffs are precisely what Hall wants. That's yet another reason Hynes needs to be canned before he completely wrecks our chances.

Reactions: Khione

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
LOL...-14 goal differential and we haven't cracked double digits in goals scored

Blew a 4 goal lead in the very first game. Already gave up a 7 spot. No powerplay goals through 5 games along with a 50 % penalty kill. But no worries, they just need to “gel”. Hynes & co. should have been shot into the sun just before the announcement of the 3 stars against the Jets.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
I was largely neutral on Hynes and this staff but my stance has changed. Losing is one thing but losing like THIS is another...so many highly disturbing items:

- 50% PK rate. Not only is that unacceptable but it’s downright embarrassing.

- 0 for the season on the PP with all this talent now on the roster. A laughable two minute 5 on 3 of ineptitude in Philly. Does this team even practice PP zone entries?! They look completely disoriented and clueless out there. Once again, not scoring is one thing...looking like THIS is another entirely.

- The number of high danger and quality scoring chances we surrender versus what we generate. We are consistently hemmed in our own zone.

- Puck possession. Where is it?! All the talent in the world means very little without carrying the play.

- In-game coaching adjustments are putrid.

- System? What is it? I seriously ask that question. I’d like to know. Fast, attacking, supportive is a mantra...not a system. Yes, they’re fast...attacking? Supportive? Laughable.

As previously mentioned, there is a 6 day gap in between games after the Vancouver contest next Sunday. I want this coaching staff canned regardless but if we haven’t beaten Florida, the Rangers or Vancouver, how in the world can Shero afford to keep these clowns employed?!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If the moves Shero made were about extending Hall, rather than trying to build a winner, than he needs to be fired as well.

while I would agree, I think his offseason moves were no brainer easy and you make them regardless of whether Hall extends. This was basically Shero’s short term improvement plan. All the players acquired should be moveable if necessary when their term is up if that team isn’t better. Gusev Subban and Simmonds are all short term commitments without much if anything in the way of trade protection.

if Hall gets moved they can also move Vats Simmonds and maybe even Greene to recoup draft picks. Maybe they want to extend Vats but I would have thought that would have happened by now if it was something both sides agreed upon.

Reactions: nugg

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I can’t shake the nagging feeling that this season is more about getting Hall extended than actually making the playoffs. I realize it may be that if the team doesn’t turn it around that Hall leaves but if Hall really likes Hynes then Shero just might believe a turnaround has to happen under Hynes. If Hall wasn’t a big Hynes supporter does anyone see Hynes getting extended last season? Somehow they seem linked to me.

If Hall loves Hynes that much then they can both leave.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I was largely neutral on Hynes and this staff but my stance has changed. Losing is one thing but losing like THIS is another...so many highly disturbing items:

- 50% PK rate. Not only is that unacceptable but it’s downright embarrassing.

- 0 for the season on the PP with all this talent now on the roster. A laughable two minute 5 on 3 of ineptitude in Philly. Does this team even practice PP zone entries?! They look completely disoriented and clueless out there. Once again, not scoring is one thing...looking like THIS is another entirely.

- The number of high danger and quality scoring chances we surrender versus what we generate. We are consistently hemmed in our own zone.

- Puck possession. Where is it?! All the talent in the world means very little without carrying the play.

- In-game coaching adjustments are putrid.

- System? What is it? I seriously ask that question. I’d like to know. Fast, attacking, supportive is a mantra...not a system. Yes, they’re fast...attacking? Supportive? Laughable.

As previously mentioned, there is a 6 day gap in between games after the Vancouver contest next Sunday. I want this coaching staff canned regardless but if we haven’t beaten Florida, the Rangers or Vancouver, how in the world can Shero afford to keep these clowns employed?!
I agree with most of your points. The question about the system, especially.

I raised similar questions regarding *what* is this team's identity?

The speed is mostly underutilized, we're soft on possession, our D is porous and struggles to protect the slot... Goaltending has ranged from pedestrian to slightly above average, but you feel like it's more likely to get worse than better given the chances we give up.

If this team loses tomorrow and the much vaunted first meeting between Jack and Kakko meeting at the Rock comes under these circumstances, hooboy.

Reactions: longislanddevil

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Here's a quick shot of the NJD faithful each game of this season.

yWtyJj.gif

Reactions: longislanddevil

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Hall loves Hynes that much then they can both leave.

If Hall wants Panarin money I’m neutral on the decision to sign him. Hall needs to play at a top level to be worth signing. I think he rebounds this season but by the time Nico and Hughes are ready to compete at their peak In two or three years Hall is likely starting on the down slide with a boat anchor contract with a NMC.

If Hall extends then he decouples from Hynes but it’s not Shero’s style to make emotional decisions or even fast decisions.

Camille the Eel

I don’t know how you find a full staff of unemployed coaches and assistants right now to hire, and expect it to be useful. It’s a knee jerk move and may not make anything better.

I do think the assistants have been a knock on Hynes. Special teams and defense are our weaknesses. Why did Ward leave before last season I wonder?

if Hynes goes it will almost certainly be people within the organization who move up as caretakers. And the assistants or most of them will stay. Could even be someone from Bing. Brylin?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
As each day passes I blame Ray more and more. How do you not foresee possibly failure with this coaching staff and make the necessary contingency plans?

And I don’t like how this team is built either.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
If Hall wants Panarin money I’m neutral on the decision to sign him. Hall needs to play at a top level to be worth signing. I think he rebounds this season but by the time Nico and Hughes are ready to compete at their peak In two or three years Hall is likely starting on the down slide with a boat anchor contract with a NMC.

If Hall extends then he decouples from Hynes but it’s not Shero’s style to make emotional decisions or even fast decisions.

i don't want to extend hall..i may be in the minority but I think using up 10/11 million on him is unwise. I think we should move on from hall and bring in players that will better round out this team. I think we should get a #1 pick and a top young defenseman and a forward for Hall and just pull trigger

Reactions: MichaelJ

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Hynes is still the coach? Damn, makes my decision as to whether or not I watch the next game very easy.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Except that playoffs are precisely what Hall wants. That's yet another reason Hynes needs to be canned before he completely wrecks our chances.

If the playoffs is precisely what Hall wants, he needs to play like he really wants it. If he wants to make the playoffs and be a passenger on a stacked team, then he and his new contract can gtfo and do that shit elsewhere.

You wanna be paid like "the man", well you better earn each penny.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
As each day passes I blame Ray more and more. How do you not foresee possibly failure with this coaching staff and make the necessary contingency plans?

And I don’t like how this team is built either.

You want the GM to have a contingency plan for firing the coaching staff 5 games into the season?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
You want the GM to have a contingency plan for firing the coaching staff 5 games into the season?

Normally I'd agree with that, but I've been saying Hynes is horrible for forever, so I'm not shocked by this start. And if I'm not shocked, Shero shouldn't be shocked.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If the playoffs is precisely what Hall wants, he needs to play like he really wants it. If he wants to make the playoffs and be a passenger on a stacked team, then he and his new contract can gtfo and do that **** elsewhere.

No one is playing well under Hynes' "system", and losing Hall for nothing because of failure to fire a floundering coach would be massive failure in asset management.

Reactions: MichaelJ

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
If the playoffs is precisely what Hall wants, he needs to play like he really wants it. If he wants to make the playoffs and be a passenger on a stacked team, then he and his new contract can gtfo and do that **** elsewhere.

Totally agree .
He has been garbage so far this year. If he is really honestly that hungry for the playoffs , then play like it. Only way he deserves Panarin money is if he can consistently play the way he did when he was league MVP or even close to that level of play

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Has there been any recent comments from Shero, at all? Has he publically spoken about the start in any capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad