Post-Game Talk: The Finnish Sieve lets in four god awful goals

Oct 15, 2017
How many times in his tenure and Oilers tender have we said "He really stole that one..."

I think honestly maybe twice and i can't even remember specifics.

He make sa save or 2 completely diff game.

Markstrom kept flames in that game after 1st.

We are in prime MCD it's time to start spending for legit pieces not reclamation project's.

My targets are Gibson, Korporsalo, or Kuemper. Do not settle on this position, look at Vancouver for that lesson.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
In some ways I have to hand it to Singh and Cassie.

I was overly excited to watch the game last night. Too much, and the loss got me so mad I had trouble falling asleep.

Typically after watching a game where our Goaltender lets in 3 very questionable goals, it takes me at least 2 extra hours to hit the hay.

Cassies voice pitch and constantly talking about the shot clock after the first period (“Since the start of the second period, the Flames have DOMINATED the shots for”) never mind it was almost even in the third and apparently the first period didn’t count

Time Violation: Extra hour to sleep so annoyed me

Then Singh, who is supposed to be a neutral broadcaster, does some f&@king crow bird trill gargle on Johnny Hockey’s goal is the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed on national TV.

Time Violation: Extra hour to go to sleep plus more pissed at the call than the game this morning.

Grrr......slept in way too long this AM. Hoping prepping food for Super Bowl calms me down.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Koskinen can't stop a beachball. Tippett has even less confidence in his backup so he can't change him out even though it was obvious from the first shot that Koskinen was fighting it in this one. I would have pulled him after the 2nd goal, in a tie game. Latest after the third goal against. No chance I'm leaving him in for 6 muffins. Disgusting. This is why it's important to have that third goalie. At least putting Grosenick in (if he hadn't been put on waivers) would have given us a chance. As a player, I'd be super pissed. Holland owes the team an apology for this goalie debacle and costing the team 2 valuable points.

That commentating tandem. No. Never again. Ever. Ever ever EVER!!!! I've never watched a game on mute before but forced to with this one.

Reactions: TB12 and 29292929

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Team is wildly inconsistent. From high to low in a snap. Unreal
Yes, there are just so many pieces that are in the wrong place on this squad. Koskinen, Turris, Kassian, Khaira , and there are others. They come together, they can beat an average/below average team but when they are shit, it’s not pleasant at all. Lack of consistency suggests they have the ability to play up to a different standard. To my definition, the majority of your play, game to game,and quality dictates your standard and those listed are low standard players in my eyes. This will be a frustrating season for Oilers fans, again. There is just so much that needs fixing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Other than maybe better rebound control on one goal i dont think goaltending sucked. Koskinen played well enough to keep us in the game.

Our defense is still the weakest link on the teateam and IMO Barrie was the worst last night.
Glad to see Bouchard with another poised outing and kudos to Tippett for putting him out as the extra man at the end.

I can only imagine this board if that Bouch bomb went in the net.

One kudos doesnt make Tipp's line combos excusable. He has managed to neutralize Drai, Yama and Nuge very nicely at ES.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Other than maybe better rebound control on one goal i dont think goaltending sucked. Koskinen played well enough to keep us in the game.

Our defense is still the weakest link on the teateam and IMO Barrie was the worst last night.
Glad to see Bouchard with another poised outing and kudos to Tippett for putting him out as the extra man at the end.

One kudos doesnt make Tipp's line combos excusable. He has managed to neutralize Drai, Yama and Nuge very nicely at ES.
:huh::laugh:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
How many times in his tenure and Oilers tender have we said "He really stole that one..."

I think honestly maybe twice and i can't even remember specifics.

He make sa save or 2 completely diff game.

Markstrom kept flames in that game after 1st.

We are in prime MCD it's time to start spending for legit pieces not reclamation project's.

My targets are Gibson, Korporsalo, or Kuemper. Do not settle on this position, look at Vancouver for that lesson.
I would kill for an elite goalie. It’s not the end all be all, but it sure helps in winning games. Like I said in a previous post, if we had even average goaltending last night we get at least a point out of that. I hope Smith isn’t too rusty and plays decent for us the rest of the way. High offensive teams can win games, but you see a lot of times a team go On a run in the playoffs because of spectacular goaltending. I can’t remember the last time we have had that in a goalie

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Done, I let them have it. Others should as well - those two are just embarrasing.
I too have registered my displeasure.
upload_2021-2-7_10-55-1.png

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

He had 3 pucks literally go right through him and the glove and position was faulty on another.

He should have had 4 of them.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I’m still absolutely disgusted . What a pathetic display by Koskinen.

Yeah I was talking to the wife about it this morning. I thought I might think different about it after a sleep, but nope, still one of the top-30 or so worst goaltending performances I've ever seen at the NHL level. You could have put probably 75% of the goalies from the AHL in net, and we likely win that game. That is how bad he was. No joke, I'm sure there are a few people on this board who would have saved 2 of the goals. Just pathetically bad, I almost don't have words for how bad he was.

Reactions: TB12

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Just sad that they pissed away such a winnable game... and it, once again, the other team won using the standard playbook for success against the Oilers:
Step 1: Chip pucks below the Oilers goal line and cycle until the defense loses their man
Step 2: Shoot high glove on the Oilers goaltender when you get a shot​

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I’m not shocked at all with Koskinen’s performance last night. This is a garbage goalie and I’ll put this squarely on Holland for not addressing the goaltending for two years.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Calgary pushed back in the second, and with Koskinen not able to make a save, it breathed life into the Flsmes. If he’s able to make a few stops, it wouldn’t have swung the momentum as much.

Hopefully Smith is ready and able to provide even average tending.

even a .900 save percentage would likely give us another win or two this season.

Did Calgary push back? They scored two goals in 3 shots to start the period.

Just like they scored on their first shot to start the game.

Reactions: TB12

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So how is Lagesson? The dude is already 23 now, so he should break it or make it now.

I think he is fine as a bottom-pairing guy to be honest. I never really notice him one way or the other, which is what you actually want from a bottom-pairing guy who is supposed to have defence as his calling card. I don't know that he is "moving the needle" right now, but he certainly isn't causing many self-inflicted wounds either.

InTheBox

Feb 7, 2021
We are going nowhere with the goaltenders we have. Something has to be done. I doesn't help when our veteran dmen (Russell and Larsson) completely suck now.

On a brighter note, Lags, Bouch, and Jesse are looking like they have a future.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: