Post-Game Talk: The Finnish Sieve lets in four god awful goals

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
My thoughts on the game:

- Kosko needs to make a god damn save every now and then. The difference in this game was Markstrom and Kosko. Both teams got their chances but everything dangerous went in against Kosko whilst Markstrom made some huge saves to keep his team in it.

- Bouchard looks amazing. And already looks like the best D the Oilers have and will have had in the last decade. Quick and accurate shots on net. Great instincts jumping into plays, getting open for one timers. Also, looks much quicker on his skates than advertised.

- Pulju was a BEAST. He was flying out there. He was all over the o-zone, cycling like a freight train jumping in and out of plays. Keep him with McD... something really special can come out this pairing... like league dominating special.

- Barrie continues to look good. Offensively and defensively.

- The Flames are a dirty garbage team. Literally risked and nearly took out McDavids legs twice this game. Zero response from Oilers was a huge negative last night.

- I don’t mind the loss as much as I thought I would cause so many things happened this game that shows huge promise for this club moving forward. We should expect that against a heated rivalry like BoA we will most likely end up close to splitting games with the Flames. But overall the club is good enough to make the playoffs and make some noise on the way there.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
My thoughts on the game:

- Kosko needs to make a god damn save every now and then. The difference in this game was Markstrom and Kosko. Both teams got their chances but everything dangerous went in against Kosko whilst Markstrom made some huge saves to keep his team in it.

- Bouchard looks amazing. And already looks like the best D the Oilers have and will have had in the last decade. Quick and accurate shots on net. Great instincts jumping into plays, getting open for one timers. Also, looks much quicker on his skates than advertised.

- Pulju was a BEAST. He was flying out there. He was all over the o-zone, cycling like a freight train jumping in and out of plays. Keep him with McD... something really special can come out this pairing... like league dominating special.

- Barrie continues to look good. Offensively and defensively.

- The Flames are a dirty garbage team. Literally risked and nearly took out McDavids legs twice this game. Zero response from Oilers was a huge negative last night.

- I don’t mind the loss as much as I thought I would cause so many things happened this game that shows huge promise for this club moving forward. We should expect that against a heated rivalry like BoA we will most likely end up close to splitting games with the Flames. But overall the club is good enough to make the playoffs and make some noise on the way there.
Agree with all except Barrie part.
Barrie is a liability defensively and Bouchard would be an upgrade on PP.
Ideally both Bouchard and Barrie are on the top unit like how we did things with net empty.

Reactions: McClelland

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Ah I didn't know that. That sucks, he looked good during his short time. Hopefully nothing serious, thanks for the update.
Tippett said he’s day to day so I don’t think it’s super serious. Rough start for the guy. Having some bad luck.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
It’s going to take a Mack truck to wake Nuge up. Playing some putrid hockey right now. He actually kind of beat a man along the boards one on one last night and I about fell off my chair. I’m all for demoting him down the lineup. Let the gravy rebound goals go to someone else who isn’t expecting a $7 million deal at the end of the season.
Throw Nuge on the 3rd line next game. It will be like a guy who didn't go to the gym for 5 years and now steps into it. Then throw him back up to the 1st or 2nd line. Remind him what hard work looks like.

Reactions: harpoon

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
So do you sit Bouchard next game?

Assuming Bear is back, it seems like if we're playing 7D, the only one who has a chance to come out on the right side is Bouchard. I'd prefer to give him a chance to find his footing at NHL speed, but I don't see the coach taking him being on the ice for those goals last night lightly.

At this point though if we're scratching him, I want him down in the AHL playing games, not on the taxi squad where his chance of playing is minimal once Bear returns.
Lets scratch the best dman on the team at controlled exits, getting shots through, and passing. I can liv with a mistake here and there. You take one of the shitty garbage vets out for him. Larsson or Russell. I take Russell out. Guy can't do any controlled exits. Guy can't pass for the life of him. Guy might be able to defend in a blue moon. Guy can't create zilch in the o zone. Just dump it in the corners. He provides nothing out thee. He BlOcKs ShotS thouGh!!!

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
How many times in his tenure and Oilers tender have we said "He really stole that one..."

I think honestly maybe twice and i can't even remember specifics.

He make sa save or 2 completely diff game.

Markstrom kept flames in that game after 1st.

We are in prime MCD it's time to start spending for legit pieces not reclamation project's.

My targets are Gibson, Korporsalo, or Kuemper. Do not settle on this position, look at Vancouver for that lesson.

I hope our management thinks this way. 5-6/7 good years coming up and then decline. 6 gone. Go for it NOW

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Holland better be on the phones night and day. 1st on the table plus prospects, etc for a legit goalie. Stop f***** around now. Stop trying to go to the clearance section in the summer. Markstrom is going to make that sh***Y CGY team a threat just because he's reliable.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I would kill for an elite goalie. It’s not the end all be all, but it sure helps in winning games. Like I said in a previous post, if we had even average goaltending last night we get at least a point out of that. I hope Smith isn’t too rusty and plays decent for us the rest of the way. High offensive teams can win games, but you see a lot of times a team go On a run in the playoffs because of spectacular goaltending. I can’t remember the last time we have had that in a goalie
We can get a good goalie if we really really want to. Might even have to overpay. It depends what this organization wants to do in the next 5 years.

Reactions: tardigrade81

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
Lol- no. I didn’t hear and Matt Kassian has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. Let’s say Bouchard doesn’t chase his man around the net- does that mean Russell automatically covers his man? What happened moments before that- was Russell covering the open guy on his side of the ice? Hmmm
I'm not getting back into this again. There's no point. Moving on.

CravenMH

Aug 6, 2020
It's pretty amazing to me that Turris hasn't been sat for a game yet. Haas, who has looked miles and miles better in his 2 GP, gets sat again, but Turris, even though he has been an abomination against all that is holy, gets to keep playing. -10 through 13 GP. Now I'm not one for putting all that much faith in +/-, but all his fancies are just woeful as well.

ES stats (for players with 30 MIN TOI at ES or more on team):
- 41% CF (7th worst n team)
- 42% FF (7th worst on team)
- 20% GF% (3rd worst on team)
- 37.6% xGF (worst on team)
- 36% SCF% (2nd worst on team)
- 33% HDCF% (2nd worst on team)

To say that he has been atrociously bad would be too kind to him. Utterly, almost unbelievable, pathetic play. Just woefully inadequate in every way possible.
Yeah he's been a huge disappointment for sure. Hoping that Khaira finally gets it together and can take a centre spot so they can waive him. Not confident that will happen tho. Khaira's a frustrating player, crazy that there is literally both bottom 6 centre positions up for grabs but he isn't trying to grab them.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
IIRC you're not a fan of putting Turris there instead, which is fair. Who would you replace Nuge with? Ennis?
Wanted to give you a reasonable answer so I decided to sleep on it. Woke up this morning and I still have no idea who I would play with McDavid. It’s a testament to how weak this roster is on the wings. I don’t have much faith in Ennis. Or Nygard. Or Shore. Chiasson and Neal are too slow. Who’s left? Khaira, Russell, Kassian, Archibald ... I mean look at that sad group of wingers. Not a single worthy candidate among them.

Honestly, look at the wings on this club. Outside of Yamamoto who do they have? Neal I like but he’s long in the tooth and kind of slow. Kassian has gone awol again. RNH is a converted center so he doesn’t count. Puljujarvi is showing that he may become a good option for McDavid so good for the kid showing up with his head screwed on right. Beyond that it’s scrub city. Nygard, Shore, Ennis and Khaira are the only left shot wingers left. Rotate them in? I dunno ... maybe they have to leave RNH where he is. Is he really going to fix the third line if they drop him down? He doesn’t have the track record of ever leading a line to success and he’ll probably be pouting about the demotion, so maybe it’s not a realistic idea after all.

Edit - maybe this line set which was posted in the JP thread? Except switch Kahun and RNH.

Neal - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Kahun - Turris - Kassian

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke74

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The first one for sure.
Dube's was the worst without a doubt. Terrible angle. Tons of time to get set. No screen. Shot placement an inch or 2 from Koskinen's chest. He really is terrible at closing up holes between his pads and between his arms and its been that way as long as he's been here. Pucks just seem to leak through him more than any other goalie.

Lucic, Bennett and Backlund goals were also saveable and not exactly difficult saves, but for different reasons (bad lateral push, bad positioning of pads and stick, and bad rebound control) he made them into difficult saves.

Reactions: harpoon

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
I don't recall Markstrom making more big saves than Koskinen this game.

What game were you watching? That game should have been 4-1 in the first, Markstrom kept Calgary in it.

I seriously don't understand what games people watch. I'm normally defending Koskinen because of bad defence, but he was body atrocious this game.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Dube's was the worst without a doubt
You may be right. Made doubly unbearable by Dube’s big jaw caveman celebration. Wtf was that and how do the Flames get the stupidest looking players on their team?

I still think the first goal was bad and set a terrible tone for the night - especially given Markstrom had just made a save on an almost identical chance at the other end.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You may be right. Made doubly unbearable by Dube’s big jaw caveman celebration. Wtf was that and how do the Flames get the stupidest looking players on their team?

I still think the first goal was bad and set a terrible tone for the night - especially given Markstrom had just made a save on an almost identical chance at the other end.
Yeah you can usually tell right away if Koskinen is going to throw up a shitty performance and that goal was a huge alarm going off. If he let in something like Puljujarvi's goal to start the game then fine, thats a very difficult save where Jesse changes the shooting angle, places a perfect shot with a quick release and does it from the middle of the slot. The Lindhold goal was from a much poorer angle, no change in shooting angle, and beyond the circle. That's a grade B scoring chance anyway you look at it.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad