Post-Game Talk: The Finnish Sieve lets in four god awful goals

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He had 3 pucks literally go right through him and the glove and position was faulty on another.

He should have had 4 of them.
And 90% of goals McD, Nuge and Drai have scored were also stoppable. Drai has found and made holes in goalies regularly especially when given a second to place the shots.

Dube slapper from point blank , gaudreau top corner snipe on partial breakaway and Lucic being all alone in front
Vs
Pulju snipe, McD top corner on PP and Nurse being unchecked all alone in front of the net

Sure, Koski could have stopped some of them and should have been pulled after the 4th but its not the only cause of the loss.

Reactions: nabob

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
And 13. I haven't held much hope for Puljujarvi turning the corner the past few years, but the last 2-3 games have been great efforts by him and the goals are starting to come as a result.

And its not easy the be gast enough to play with McDavid, but the fonn has some hands and speed to catch mcDavids passes on the fly - the gane McDavid plays.

I really hope for that!
Ithink a defensive supreme player witha head - McDavid Puljujärvi would be ideal.
I guess trust and comfort is what gives chemistry and anfunctional line.

The defence seems to still be a bit headache

Reactions: RattsSSV

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
And 90% of goals McD, Nuge and Drai have scored were also stoppable. Drai has found and made holes in goalies regularly especially when given a second to place the shots.

Dube slapper from point blank , gaudreau top corner snipe on partial breakaway and Lucic being all alone in front
Vs
Pulju snipe, McD top corner on PP and Nurse being unchecked all alone in front of the net

Sure, Koski could have stopped some of them and should have been pulled after the 4th but its not the only cause of the loss.

Im amazed od the accurecy of NHL players. Most of the goals are really nitpicking spots.

Reactions: nabob

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Nuge has been a complete passenger this year in every way.

The points are there, but there hasn’t been one game where I thought he looked good, he’s just been “okay”, which isn’t good enough when you’re playing with Mcdavid
I don’t know which I’m more scared of next year, another hole on this team or giving him a contract.

Reactions: 3IR

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Can't believe Uncle Bob is still around after signing Costkinen sight unseen basically.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Vs

Koskinen should have had 4 goals, 3 absolutely are undebatable as they went through him, including 1 where he lost the puck. Oiler defence in the 2nd and 3rd was subpar I agree but you employ a starting goalie to make routine saves, not to mention saves at key times.

Koskinen was a huge part of this loss along with poor Oiler team D, but Koskinen wears the goat horns when you score 4 goals and he lets in 6 when 3 went through him and one he should have had but he was out of position and it sails over his frying pan. Bad game by him.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
We are going nowhere with the goaltenders we have. Something has to be done. I doesn't help when our veteran dmen (Russell and Larsson) completely suck now.

On a brighter note, Lags, Bouch, and Jesse are looking like they have a future.

I wrote a long answer and everything got disappered.

But in short; Russel was a NHL regukar with a lit of NHL experience, setting the tone and is a veteran presence who knows what needs to be done. And been here and showing defence here has been very valueable.

Barrie has not been that presence. Yet.

What about KKKK? How has he been?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
And then there are also people like Turris who try to put a hole in goalie's crest.

It's pretty amazing to me that Turris hasn't been sat for a game yet. Haas, who has looked miles and miles better in his 2 GP, gets sat again, but Turris, even though he has been an abomination against all that is holy, gets to keep playing. -10 through 13 GP. Now I'm not one for putting all that much faith in +/-, but all his fancies are just woeful as well.

ES stats (for players with 30 MIN TOI at ES or more on team):
- 41% CF (7th worst n team)
- 42% FF (7th worst on team)
- 20% GF% (3rd worst on team)
- 37.6% xGF (worst on team)
- 36% SCF% (2nd worst on team)
- 33% HDCF% (2nd worst on team)

To say that he has been atrociously bad would be too kind to him. Utterly, almost unbelievable, pathetic play. Just woefully inadequate in every way possible.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Koskinen should have had 4 goals, 3 absolutely are undebatable as they went through him, including 1 where he lost the puck. Oiler defence in the 2nd and 3rd was subpar I agree but you employ a starting goalie to make routine saves, not to mention saves at key times.

Koskinen was a huge part of this loss along with poor Oiler team D, but Koskinen wears the goat horns when you score 4 goals and he lets in 6 when 3 went through him and one he should have had but he was out of position and it sails over his frying pan. Bad game by him.

Yeah I just don't get how people can defend his game last night at all.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's pretty amazing to me that Turris hasn't been sat for a game yet. Haas, who has looked miles and miles better in his 2 GP, gets sat again, but Turris, even though he has been an abomination against all that is holy, gets to keep playing. -10 through 13 GP. Now I'm not one for putting all that much faith in +/-, but all his fancies are just woeful as well.

ES stats (for players with 30 MIN TOI at ES or more on team):
- 41% CF (7th worst n team)
- 42% FF (7th worst on team)
- 20% GF% (3rd worst on team)
- 37.6% xGF (worst on team)
- 36% SCF% (2nd worst on team)
- 33% HDCF% (2nd worst on team)

To say that he has been atrociously bad would be too kind to him. Utterly, almost unbelievable, pathetic play. Just woefully inadequate in every way possible.
Haas has an injury apparently

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

The aftershocks of hiring Chia, the NHL's version of Bernie "bold deal" Madoff will be felt for a decade. It's now 5 years and counting.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Oilers playing a player they went after in the off season.
Then the player he would have replaced completely and utterly shits the bed.

Cmon how’d we not see this coming.

Usually it’s the oilers being bad defensively but tonight we would have had to have been perfect almost. Seemed like Calgary converted 75% of their chances.

Koskinen you suck. Can’t wait to see how they spin the tired excuse..

Reactions: TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As the consensus seems to be, I think the Oil played a pretty good game. Sure they made some miscues, but if you are to be a good team, you have to have a goalie to cover at least some of those up. It seems like every time we make a mistake, it's in the net. The 4-3 PP goal absolutely HAS to be stopped. Puljo just scored a great goal, and that had to be deflating. Credit to the Oilers for coming back to make it 5-4, but just couldn't beat a very good goalie at the top of his game, and damage done.
Most of us said at the time, that Koski's contract was ridiculous, given the 27 games he played, and his inability to show he could handle a number 1 spot. Chia's contracts set us back 2-3 years. We are now in year two of having to bite down hard. Hopefully Smitty can go on one of his famous hot streaks for a while to help us out, but I'm not counting on it.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
If you are talking about the Lucic goal, either you misheard or Matt Kassian is an idiot. It's a nothing play UNTIL Bouchard turns it into one by leaving his position and chasing him out. That's exactly what he wanted Bouchard to do. Sit behind the net until an opportunity presents itself. And that's exactly what happened here.

Lol- no. I didn’t hear and Matt Kassian has forgotten more about hockey than you will ever know. Let’s say Bouchard doesn’t chase his man around the net- does that mean Russell automatically covers his man? What happened moments before that- was Russell covering the open guy on his side of the ice? Hmmm

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

Vs

Yep it is. He let in 4 bad goals. On a night when Markstrom was off- Kosko found a way to be worse. Loss is on him

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
This is a ridiculous opinion not worthy of discussion. That’s like saying Koskinen stood on his head tonight. Same level of absurdity.

No- your defensive analysis of the game is absurd. Everyone who plays with Russell gets caved. Everyone. He is that bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad