GDT: The Final Night - LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
**** you, Rangers. Nash, Staal and Zuccarello? Pretty clear who they'd rather play in the first round.

The replacements will play hard but I don't think the Rangers will shed a tear if Boston misses the playoffs

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
The King can steal a game by himself. And even without Nash, Zucca and Staal, Rangers have enough talent to win this game. And I think they will.

I think it's more the mentality that'll do them in. Knowing they're starting to rest players takes pressure off everyone else to try as hard. Couple that with the President's Trophy presentation pre-game (which never goes well for home teams) and a desperate Sen's team, i think they'll put up a dud.

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
IIRC NHL teams on Game 2 of a back to back (with both games being road games) only win the second game 17% of the time.

My bad.. Didn't thought this must win game was decided by previous meaningless games stats...

Bruins are the better team. Back-to-back or not, they should win.

This is a game 7 for the Bruins. This is a meaningless game for the Panthers. That is why your 17% is irrelevant to this game.

Bruins will win and will clinch if Rangers do too.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I think it's more the mentality that'll do them in. Knowing they're starting to rest players takes pressure off everyone else to try as hard. Couple that with the President's Trophy presentation pre-game (which never goes well for home teams) and a desperate Sen's team, i think they'll put up a dud.

Zucc was out last game too and Nash has been playing hurt for a while now. Makes sens to rest him.

The Rangers' mentality is going to be simple. Play to win.

Whatever happens, good luck making it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The Rangers have earned the right to do this. They got it done, they get to decide who to rest and when, and if it helps maybe get a better first round match-up, more power to them. Complain about our team being in this spot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
So a Boston win even in a shootout and a Ranger win in regulation and the Bruins are in. Correct?

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
The Rangers have earned the right to do this. They got it done, they get to decide who to rest and when, and if it helps maybe get a better first round match-up, more power to them. Complain about our team being in this spot.

Captain Obvious to the rescue.

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
**** you, Rangers. Nash, Staal and Zuccarello? Pretty clear who they'd rather play in the first round.

I very much doubt this has anything to do with who they would like to play. If the Bruins were already in a spot where they couldn't move one way or the other would I want them to rest some key players... For example, Lucic, Seidenberg and Marchand (pretty comparable to those three for the Rangers I guess)? Hell ya.

Fortunately, Tampa might very well do the same vs us (thought their position might not be locked in stone yet by that time, so maybe not) whilst Philadelphia will surely be playing their best in their last game for the season, and on home ice... So it does even out.

Both play a non-playoff but not completely terrible team that should be trying their hardest (Florida/Philly) and a top team that might very well rest some key players (Tampa/Rangers). Both teams' both games are on the road, too. Very comparable schedule.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not only have the Rangers earned the right to do this....in the words of fellow MSG denizen Billy Joel from "The Stranger": You've done it, why can't someone else? You should know by now, you've been there yourself....

We rested Chara and Bergeron after we clinched the trophy last year. It's not a "we want to face OTT and not BOS" thing. It's a "we want a well-rested team" thing.

As far as the 17% win rate in back-to-backs...that can't be right, can it? From a few years back:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44348-Campbell-The-impact-of-backtoback-games.html

So far this season, teams playing the back end of back-to-back games have an overall record of 96-105-28 for a .480 points percentage. That compares to a 618-452-129 mark for teams playing games in non-consecutive nights for a .569 points percentage.

Even counting loser points as complete losses, that's 41%. Now, that includes home-home and home-away/away-home back-to-backs. It's possible that the sample size for away-away is small. It's probably also skewed towards games with an Eastern Conference team against ANA and LAK - and perhaps towards games with a Western Conference team against FLA/TBL.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

This is the exact reason you can't count on other teams to win for you. They have to get it done themselves, which is something they've struggled with this season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
7:00 PM Ottawa at NYR (629 Xfinity MA and NH) (949 RCN MA) (1483 FiOS MA and RI) (1639 COX RI) (708 Time Warner Maine)
7:30 PM Detroit at Montreal (631 Xfinity MA and NH) (951 RCN MA) (1485 FiOS MA and RI) (710 Time Warner Maine)
7:30 PM BRUINS at Florida NESN Plus (CLICK FOR CHANNEL LOCATION)

I added some other area cable companies in the area where you can find the out of town games tonight.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
My bad.. Didn't thought this must win game was decided by previous meaningless games stats...

Bruins are the better team. Back-to-back or not, they should win.

This is a game 7 for the Bruins. This is a meaningless game for the Panthers. That is why your 17% is irrelevant to this game.

Bruins will win and will clinch if Rangers do too.

Hope you're right but I expect the well rested Florida team to come out hard against a tired and jet lagged Bruins team.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I wouldn't want to play Philly the last game of the season in their own building. They're going to play hard til the end for their fans. Tampa will sit Stamkos.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Not only have the Rangers earned the right to do this....in the words of fellow MSG denizen Billy Joel from "The Stranger": You've done it, why can't someone else? You should know by now, you've been there yourself....

We rested Chara and Bergeron after we clinched the trophy last year. It's not a "we want to face OTT and not BOS" thing. It's a "we want a well-rested team" thing.

As far as the 17% win rate in back-to-backs...that can't be right, can it? From a few years back:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/44348-Campbell-The-impact-of-backtoback-games.html

Even counting loser points as complete losses, that's 41%. Now, that includes home-home and home-away/away-home back-to-backs. It's possible that the sample size for away-away is small. It's probably also skewed towards games with an Eastern Conference team against ANA and LAK - and perhaps towards games with a Western Conference team against FLA/TBL.

Back to back with Both games being road games.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I wouldn't want to play Philly the last game of the season in their own building. They're going to play hard til the end for their fans. Tampa will sit Stamkos.

That would be nice.With the exception of the last game the Bruins play well against Tampa but Stamkos always seems to score at least 1 goal if not two.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I work with a Flyers fan and he wants Ottawa to win because it may mean the Pens are out of the playoffs... I wonder if the team feels the same way.

8 Spokes

Feb 7, 2010
Boston, MA
I want the Bruins to clinch the easiest way possible. Therefore I'm rooting for the Rangers tonight because that's what needs to happen.

However

If the Bruins are able to win tonight and on Saturday and the Penguins end up on the outside, I will be as happy as I was when we swept them in '13.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Read a couple of Rangers fans posts who wouldn't mind seeing the Sens win to knock out the Bruins (wonder if Alain Vignault is a registered HF member)

I don't think that is very nice of them

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Bruins would clinch a playoff berth if they defeat the Panthers in any fashion AND the Senators lose in regulation.

The Canadiens would clinch the Atlantic Division title if they defeat the Red Wings in any fashion AND the Lightning lose in any fashion OR if they get one point against the Red Wings AND the Lightning lose in regulation.

The Islanders (idle) would clinch a playoff berth if the Senators or Bruins lose in any fashion.

The Red Wings would clinch a playoff berth if they defeat the Canadiens in any fashion OR if they get one point against the Canadiens AND either the Senators lose in any fashion or the Bruins lose in regulation OR if the Senators lose in regulation.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Leafs recall Colton Orr, I love it. Always been a huge fan of him, and it's the official last hurrah to the NHL enforcer. Hopefully someone gives him a scrap on Saturday night.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
If that Pens/Isles game goes to OT, I'm gonna be so pissed. Nothing has went right since last Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad