GDT: The Final Night - LET'S GO BUFF-A-LO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am going to close down the 2 similar threads nearing the limit and open a new one to cover the next 3 nights.

Tonight we have 3 games that by 10 PM we should have a clear focus on how things can play out. I have added the channel numbers for some cable companies in the area.

7:00 PM Ottawa at NYR (629 Xfinity MA and NH) (949 RCN MA) (1483 FiOS MA and RI) (1639 COX RI)
7:30 PM Detroit at Montreal (631 Xfinity MA and NH) (951 RCN MA) (1485 FiOS MA and RI)
7:30 PM BRUINS at Florida NESN Plus (CLICK FOR CHANNEL LOCATION)

By the start of the third period of our game we should have an idea at the Ottawa/Rangers outcome.

b46b2230-debe-11e4-8647-e5f6a0bf58ee_fsasdadfsafdsfdsa.jpg

Well, the Boston Bruins decided to make an interesting situation even more interesting.

Squandering their game in-hand on the Eastern Conference bubble, the Bruins’ loss to the Washington Capitals on Wednesday night left them with 95 points – the same number as the Ottawa Senators, the ninth-place teams. Boston has the ROW advantage – 37-35 – but their margin for error just decreased dramatically.

If the Ottawa Senators win out – which is still a big “if†considering they have to play the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers – then Boston needs to do the same. At least Pittsburgh, having settled for a charity point against the Sens earlier in the week – can afford to snag three out of four points against the Islanders and Sabres, as even if Ottawa wins out that would mean a tie that the Penguins would break.

But if the Bruins pull three out of four points, and the Sens earn all four? Well, obviously there are a lot scenarios that would earn them a playoff spot depending on what the Red Wings and Penguins do, but hooboy …

The Wings clinch a playoff spot with two points earned or lost by the Senators.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-this-the-end-for-the-la-kings-134945199.html

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
How is the magic number 5?

It is a weird fluke of the tiebreaker. If Boston won their last 2 in a shootout and Ottawa wins their last 2 in regulation or OT we both tie with 99 points and 37 ROW and Ottawa wins the tiebreak on head to head because the first game in Boston between the Sens and Bruins is thrown out. :help: If Boston wins in ROW or Ottawa does to a shootout the MM drops by one.

Pittsburgh is not home free as both Boston and Ottawa can pass them and to make it even more fun, Boston, Ottawa and Pittsburgh can all pass the Islanders.

The Islanders at Pittsburgh game is going to be huge tomorrow night. Most importantly Boston HAS to win tonight.

Pass the popcorn and Captain Morgan people - it is going to be NUTS.

Last edited:

Revisionhky22

Apr 16, 2013
While I'm still optimistic that we will or can make the playoffs it's amazing that such a run by Ottawa 19-3-3 is what it took to possibly displace us. Someone with 97 points is not getting in which is crazy. I looked all the way back through 2002-2003 season and 94 pts was the highest total it took to get in. So if by chance they do miss, I look forward to some changes but I will also know that it took an epic season where 97 pts wasn't enough to knock the Bs out.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Bruins, Ottawa and Detroit all with a pressure game. Both Ott and Bos against a team with nothing to win/lose (NYR and Flo) and Detroit plays a Paciorretti-less Habs team but they have 1st place to secure so they have to play to win.

After tonight, we could be anywhere between clinched for the playoffs to needing a Phily/Carolina win next Saturday for help.

If the Bruins can't beat the Panthers, they will deserve the fate they will get. Take care of buiseness, win and either get in tonight or keep the control for Saturday.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
It is a weird fluke of the tiebreaker. If Boston won their last 2 in a shootout and Ottawa wins their last 2 in regulation or OT we both tie with 99 points and 37 ROW and Ottawa wins the tiebreak on head to head because the first game in Boston between the Sens and Bruins is thrown out. :help: If Boston wins in ROW or Ottawa does to a shootout the MM drops by one.

Pittsburgh is not home free as both Boston and Ottawa can pass them and to make it even more fun, Boston, Ottawa and Pittsburgh can all pass the Islanders.

The Islanders at Pittsburgh game is going to be huge tomorrow night. Most importantly Boston HAS to win tonight.

Pass the popcorn and Captain Morgan people - it is going to be NUTS.

I forgot about the Islanders but they are kind of irrelevant.We HAVE to win both games in order to see them miss.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Bruins, Ottawa and Detroit all with a pressure game. Both Ott and Bos against a team with nothing to win/lose (NYR and Flo) and Detroit plays a Paciorretti-less Habs team but they have 1st place to secure so they have to play to win.

After tonight, we could be anywhere between clinched for the playoffs to needing a Phily/Carolina win next Saturday for help.

If the Bruins can't beat the Panthers, they will deserve the fate they will get. Take care of buiseness, win and either get in tonight or keep the control for Saturday.

If Ottawa also wins how do we keep control ? We likely still have to win on Saturday ??

BruinsFan64

Sep 17, 2009
If Ottawa also wins how do we keep control ? We likely still have to win on Saturday ??

The Bruins still control their own fate as long as they win both games.
At least one has to be in regulation though. The other can be in OT.
It is important we have more regulation wins then Ottawa.

If they win both games in this manner, they then don't have to hope for
someone else to lose in order to get in.

Last edited:

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

Worst case scenario for tonight:

Ott wins
Det wins
Bruins lose

We would need a win against TB and either a loss by Ott against Phily or Pittsburgh losing their last two against NYI and Buf to get in.

Best case scenario:

Bruins win
Ott loss

We are in.

Neutral scenario:

Bruins win+Ottawa win+(Det loss)/Bruins loss+Ottawa loss

We would still be in control for Saturday

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

If we win tonight and Ottawa wins, we either need a win on Saturday or an Ottawa loss in their last game of the season to clinch. (Mind you this is all in regulation).

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
While I'm still optimistic that we will or can make the playoffs it's amazing that such a run by Ottawa 19-3-3 is what it took to possibly displace us. Someone with 97 points is not getting in which is crazy. I looked all the way back through 2002-2003 season and 94 pts was the highest total it took to get in. So if by chance they do miss, I look forward to some changes but I will also know that it took an epic season where 97 pts wasn't enough to knock the Bs out.

This year the numbers are skewed as Buffalo just had an awful season.

2 months ago we all thought the Top 8 in the East was set but then Ottawa started to win and win and win.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
The Bruins still control their own fate as long as they win both games.
At least one has to be in regulation though. The other can be in OT.
It is important we have more regulation wins then Ottawa.

If they win both games in this manner, they then don't have to hope for
someone else to lose in order to get in.

Regulation and OT wins are both fine. It's Shootout wins that don't count for the ROW tiebreaker.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Someone probably mentioned it elsewhere, but Nash, Zuccarello and Staal are all out tonight vs Ottawa (rest). Wouldn't put much hope in the Sens losing tonight.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Someone probably mentioned it elsewhere, but Nash, Zuccarello and Staal are all out tonight vs Ottawa (rest). Wouldn't put much hope in the Sens losing tonight.

The King can steal a game by himself. And even without Nash, Zucca and Staal, Rangers have enough talent to win this game. And I think they will.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Why do so many posters seem to think that tonight's game against Florida should be an easy win? They're rested and waiting well we play our second game in Less than 24 hours, with both games being on the road.

Most teams lose the second game of a back to back.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Why do so many posters seem to think that tonight's game against Florida should be an easy win? They're rested and waiting well we play our second game in Less than 24 hours, with both games being on the road.

Most teams lose the second game of a back to back.

Nobody is saying that it will be an easy win.

Everyone is saying that it's a must win for the Bruins and a meaningless game for the Panthers.

The Bruins are the better team and back-to-back or not, they should win this game.

I would be more surprised if Boston lose this game than if Ottawa lose theirs...

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Nobody is saying that it will be an easy win.

Everyone is saying that it's a must win for the Bruins and a meaningless game for the Panthers.

The Bruins are the better team and back-to-back or not, they should win this game.

I would be more surprised if Boston lose this game than if Ottawa lose theirs...

IIRC NHL teams on Game 2 of a back to back (with both games being road games) only win the second game 17% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad