GDT: The Fault in Our Stars 2 - Live at 8:00PM

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Yeah that looked brutal yesterday.....

Speaking of which....are you guys all Mavs fans here? I don't see too many Dirk-friendly posts on this board. :laugh:

I can't stand basketball... Hockey is my only sport, Stars my only team, so this sucks even more for me the last 6 years.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Honestly this is the reason we lost tonight:

Benn-Eakin-Seguin
Cole-Spezza-Eaves
Roussel-Fiddler-Moen/Sceviour
Moen/Sceviour-Horcoff-Hemsky

I'm pretty sure Moen and Sceviour switched around but they're also both irrelevant so I wasn't paying much attention

Literally why the **** would any coach think that 3 top six players in the top six is better than 4 ? Why the **** would any coach think that Cole is a viable option for a finisher on Spezza's line ? Why hasn't Sceviour been waived so McKenzie can come back up ? Why is Roussel the only good winger on the entire ****ing team not named Jamie Benn ? Why did Cole play more minutes than Hemsky and Spezza ? Why wasn't Moen on the PK when that's supposed to be his main skill ?

Defensively we were just as bad as usual but also not worse than usual so there wasn't an excuse for all the lapses. Jordie was better than before but not good. Klingberg has fallen back to earth and shockingly the team sucks again when he's not playing miles over his head. Goligoski and Daley made their usual mistakes. Overall the defense still sucks.

Lindback was good for a solid stretch of the game but he made up for it after. If he'd played a good game before tonight I would shrug it off but this is 5 losses now and his 4.63 GAA and .861 isn't a coincidence. Almost 5 GAA and he let in 5 tonight ? That's literally just him playing to his average.

MetalGodAOD*

Honestly this is the reason we lost tonight:

Benn-Eakin-Seguin
Cole-Spezza-Eaves
Roussel-Fiddler-Moen/Sceviour
Moen/Sceviour-Horcoff-Hemsky

I'm pretty sure Moen and Sceviour switched around but they're also both irrelevant so I wasn't paying much attention

Literally why the **** would any coach think that 3 top six players in the top six is better than 4 ? Why the **** would any coach think that Cole is a viable option for a finisher on Spezza's line ? Why hasn't Sceviour been waived so McKenzie can come back up ? Why is Roussel the only good winger on the entire ****ing team not named Jamie Benn ? Why did Cole play more minutes than Hemsky and Spezza ? Why wasn't Moen on the PK when that's supposed to be his main skill ?

This team only has 4 top 6 players so that's not really all that surprising. IDK why Hemsky was on the 4th but it certain wasn't why we lost tonight. Two of Cole/Sceviour/Eaves/Roussel are going to get top 6 minutes on this team every night until Ritchie is healthy enough and gets recalled.

Got nothing on the Moen PK question. That's a bit mind-boggling.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Speaking of Ritchie not being healthy, I was checking the stats for the baby Stars and noticed that Stransky has a very weak looking stat line. I was hoping he might have turned a corner in the playoffs last year and potentially have been a guy who could get a look at helping up in Dallas.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Well, the way the Stars are playing right now is

bo3MMhM.gif

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
im a little worried at how crappy Spezza looks when he doesnt have Benn and Segs on his line

Yeah weird how a playmaking center looks crappy playing with third/fourth liners on both wings, yeah Hemsky hasn't been finishing but at least they looked dangerous. Really think its time they put Eakin on that LW with Spezza and Hemsky. If he's the line fixer, why not put him on the line thats actually broke. As far as a that top line RW, screw it time for tryouts until Ritchie is healthy. Everyone gets a week to gel, Eaves, Cole, and Garbutt have had there's, first up Sceviour? Then just work your way through the Righties or RW in Cedar Park, hell who knows maybe someone will surprise us playing with better talent at the NHL level. Literally what could it possible hurt at this point.

Benn Seguin
Eakin Spezza Hemsky
Roussel Fiddler Cole
Moen Horcoff Eaves/Garbutt

The bottom two pairs have a good combo of size and speed, now go hit people and cause turnovers

Daley Klingberg
Oleksiak Demars
Goligoski Jokipakka

Tell Daley calm down concentrate on defense, see if he regains form, this way all your rookies will have a veteran presence with them. And each pair has a good passer as well.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
im a little worried at how crappy Spezza looks when he doesnt have Benn and Segs on his line
Spezza is an amazing playmaker who has spent much of the season passing to players with no hands. He's had a decent amount to time with Hemsky, but until a couple of game ago, all Hemsky did was try to drop pass it back to Spezza.

I'd like to see Benn put on Spezza's wing. Give Spezza someone who can finish.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Yeah weird how a playmaking center looks crappy playing with third/fourth liners on both wings, yeah Hemsky hasn't been finishing but at least they looked dangerous. Really think its time they put Eakin on that LW with Spezza and Hemsky. If he's the line fixer, why not put him on the line thats actually broke. As far as a that top line RW, screw it time for tryouts until Ritchie is healthy. Everyone gets a week to gel, Eaves, Cole, and Garbutt have had there's, first up Sceviour? Then just work your way through the Righties or RW in Cedar Park, hell who knows maybe someone will surprise us playing with better talent at the NHL level. Literally what could it possible hurt at this point.

Benn Seguin
Eakin Spezza Hemsky
Roussel Fiddler Cole
Moen Horcoff Eaves/Garbutt

The bottom two pairs have a good combo of size and speed, now go hit people and cause turnovers

Daley Klingberg
Oleksiak Demars
Goligoski Jokipakka

Tell Daley calm down concentrate on defense, see if he regains form, this way all your rookies will have a veteran presence with them. And each pair has a good passer as well.

I dont think Eakin is a line fixer but I would like ot see him on the LW with Spezza and Hemsky. Either that or Benn there and Eakin on the lw with Seguin and whatever RW we can stick in there. Nukes injury has really left a massive hole in the forward ranks that somehow seems to be hurting even more than it should.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Lindback made some good saves and was under fire alot but when the first goal you give up is that terrible its got to take something out of the team in front of you.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
At the moment, Benn doesn't exactly have the great hands we are used to, either. Hope he gets out of that funk.

Would be an interesting experiment of Eakin-Spezza-Hemsky (or Cole, I guess). Cody can skate with them, dig pucks, etc. Pass and finish both okay. Plus, Eaves has looked good enough with Benn and Seguin.

I think both Hemsky and Spezza are guilty of overpassing right now.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
I dont think Eakin is a line fixer but I would like ot see him on the LW with Spezza and Hemsky. Either that or Benn there and Eakin on the lw with Seguin and whatever RW we can stick in there. Nukes injury has really left a massive hole in the forward ranks that somehow seems to be hurting even more than it should.

I'm just using Ruffs own words, and how odd it is to need to fix your only line thats scoring

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I'd much rather see them split Benn and Seguin.

Benn-Spezza-Sceviour
Eakin-Seguin-Hemsky
Roussel-Fiddler-Garbutt
Cole-Horcoff-Eaves

This is the closest thing to a top 6 you're gonna get with this roster. For whatever reason Ruff thinks this stuff is string theory. Sceviour has solid possession numbers, and I think for all the flak he gets, is still a player that is capable of finishing chances which is something that can't be said for Moen, Eaves, and Cole...who is antimatter in the top 6. In the bottom 6, he's actually ok. Eakin at LW is no sillier than the franchise center at RW. Fiddler has played with Roussel and Garbutt before. Best case scenario: you win some games, gain some confidence, and maybe make the playoffs. Worst case scenario: McDavid.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I get the feeling the Scevior thing is due to slow recovery from the shoulder injury. Sort of like calling Rynnas up, but he was sick. They might give CS a shot, but only when he is 100% to max out his chance of being successful. He might NOT be able to finish well enough in his current state.

As to last night's game, someone posted they had already written it off due to back to back and Lindback playing. Sat down to watch it with that in mind, and wasn't nearly as angry a the loss as usual.

Of course, maybe I have just gotten comfortable with the fact that this team really isn't a step forward from the last five years, even though we had hope it would be.

Brand New Stars

Lindback made some good saves and was under fire alot but when the first goal you give up is that terrible its got to take something out of the team in front of you.

The two goals Colorado gave up were garbage and that didn't stop them from fighting for a win.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Raps are doing good, but you are just in time for DeMar DeRozan's injury!

The Mavs are pretty good if you want to invest in another Dallas team.

Right now I cheer for the Jays/Raps in Basketball and Baseball due to proximity and exposure.

I genuinely have enjoyed following the Jays since coming to Ontario and a little before. That Canadian pride..... But the Raptors have only started gaining popularity so idk. Maybe if they used those retro purple jerseys in each game.

I'd say my top 4 sports teams look like this

Stars / Blue Jays / Cowboys / Mavs/Raps indifferent split

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm just using Ruffs own words, and how odd it is to need to fix your only line thats scoring
The fixing he's trying to do is to add a forward who backchecks hard and plays defense. As fun as Seguin and Benn are to watch with the puck, they aren't the hardest workers when it comes to play in their own end. It's why Ruff tried Eaves for a bit and now is trying Eakin.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
The fixing he's trying to do is to add a forward who backchecks hard and plays defense. As fun as Seguin and Benn are to watch with the puck, they aren't the hardest workers when it comes to play in their own end. It's why Ruff tried Eaves for a bit and now is trying Eakin.

Ok, how does that not apply to the Spezza Hemsky line.. that also isn't scoring on top of defensive issues

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Ok, how does that not apply to the Spezza Hemsky line.. that also isn't scoring on top of defensive issues
It does apply. It's why Ruff has tried different wingers with them or has broken them up. He hasn't kept them together for more than a couple of games at a time, and I think their defensive play is the primary reason. For any concerns about the Seguin-Benn duo, Spezza-Hemsky is ten times worse. That said, I think Ruff is more intent on fixing the top line because they go up against better competition.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
90 C JASON SPEZZA 24 4 15 19 -9 2 1 0 0 50 8.00
83 R ALES HEMSKY 23 1 5 6 -10 4 0 0 0 41 2.40

Among the bottom three players on the Stars in plus minus. Eakin is plus 4.

So, year, the defense addtion of Eakin might be a good thing for them.

BTW, Seguin and Been are both higher than Eakin at the +/- dept., mostly because they are on the ice for so many goals.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Another major factor in the game was all ****ing 7 powerplays we gave the other team

Too many men- no excuse
Cole Interference- no excuse
Demers High Stick - accidental but no excuse
Eakin Boarding- no excuse
Jordie Stick Hold- no excuse
Demers Tripping- lol no
Goligoski Delay of Game- no excuse

Only one of those calls was wrong and that last one led to 45 seconds of 5 on 3 before the Avs scored and were still on the powerplay for another minute. How can the team get any momentum when they're shorthanded for nearly 1/4 of the game ? There were two in the 1st and 3rd and three in the 2nd. The last two goals were on the powerplay. Without those goals it was 3-2 and we might have had a chance to turn it around. Giving up two powerplay goals in the first 4 minutes of the third period for a 3 goal deficit killed any chance we had to get our **** together.

How many delay of games have we had on the PK this year ? It's like 2 or 3. No excuse for something that stupid when you're already down. If they can't clear the puck in a calm and controlled way then there's a major problem. If it's from the PK coach then fire him. If it's from the players then figure out the issue and fix it.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Split up Benn and Seguin, if you're not going to call up guys from the AHL either due to the AHL struggles, one way contracts, or the cap.

Eakin-Seguin-Hemsky
Benn-Spezza-Roussel
Cole-Fiddler-Garbutt
Horcoff-Sceviour-Eaves

See if Sceviour plays better back in the middle. He can Horcoff can switch if necessary. Gives Seguin and Spezza a defensively responsible winger. Marries shooters with passers and puts our 6 best forwards right now in the top six where we need them.

If they don't pull out of the tailspin start selling bottom six wingers and either getting players in return or calling up some guys from Cedar Park. If we're going to struggle I'd rather struggle with guys that are part of the future. That's especially true if we want to see if Glennie has an NHL future, if McKenzie and/or Ritchie is ready for full time NHL duty. If Stransky or Faska is just in a funk and like Klingberg will play better with better players in the NHL.

That eventual lineup is very green and probably won't be that good. Better to get some of the growing pains out of the way and drop all of the dead weight on the bottom of this roster than keep on keeping on expecting magically better results and wondering why that's not happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad