GDT: The Fault in Our Stars 2 - Live at 8:00PM

aloonda*

Split up Benn and Seguin, if you're not going to call up guys from the AHL either due to the AHL struggles, one way contracts, or the cap.

Eakin-Seguin-Hemsky
Benn-Spezza-Roussel
Cole-Fiddler-Garbutt
Horcoff-Sceviour-Eaves

See if Sceviour plays better back in the middle. He can Horcoff can switch if necessary. Gives Seguin and Spezza a defensively responsible winger. Marries shooters with passers and puts our 6 best forwards right now in the top six where we need them.

If they don't pull out of the tailspin start selling bottom six wingers and either getting players in return or calling up some guys from Cedar Park. If we're going to struggle I'd rather struggle with guys that are part of the future. That's especially true if we want to see if Glennie has an NHL future, if McKenzie and/or Ritchie is ready for full time NHL duty. If Stransky or Faska is just in a funk and like Klingberg will play better with better players in the NHL.

That eventual lineup is very green and probably won't be that good. Better to get some of the growing pains out of the way and drop all of the dead weight on the bottom of this roster than keep on keeping on expecting magically better results and wondering why that's not happening.

my thoughts

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
I really want to see Benn-Spezza-Eakin. Seguin can still produce WITHOUT Benn.

Benn has been struggling to score, Spezza needs someone around his calibre to play alongside with him, and Eakin's 2 way play can help the defensive side of the game.

Cole-Spezza-Hemsky isn't going to give secondary scoring:laugh:
Cole has flashes of brilliance but is useless for 90% of the time he's on the ice, while Hemsky is just so disappointing and underwhelming.

MAYBE Seguin-Hemsky could work...but again, I've already seen Benn-Seguin-Hemsky and it was SO BRUTAL.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I really want to see Benn-Spezza-Eakin. Seguin can still produce WITHOUT Benn.

Benn has been struggling to score, Spezza needs someone around his calibre to play alongside with him, and Eakin's 2 way play can help the defensive side of the game.

Cole-Spezza-Hemsky isn't going to give secondary scoring:laugh:
Cole has flashes of brilliance but is useless for 90% of the time he's on the ice, while Hemsky is just so disappointing and underwhelming.

MAYBE Seguin-Hemsky could work...but again, I've already seen Benn-Seguin-Hemsky and it was SO BRUTAL.

Didn't think it was that brutal. Created tons of chances iirc, Hemsky and Benn were just in a funk at that time and not cashing in. I'm pretty sure Hemsky at a hat tricks worth of golden chances in 1 game with them. If they had time to gel as a unit I think it would be better however it leaves Spezza high and dry. Put a good player 2 way scorer with Spezza and Hemsky and you have a good 2nd line. Benn Spezza and Hemsky might be a dynamite line but then Seguin is out cold. Nomatter how you slice it, we need at least one more player to give us the 2 dynamite lines we were hoping to have.
We need another player that can simply put, bury the puck in the back of the net when Spezza or Seguin get them chances! Best case Ritchie can do that, and Nuke wasn't out of place on the top line last year but wasn't much of a finisher yet.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
One Peverley would do...

I was thinking we need a Jere Lehtinen for the Benn Seguin line. Kinda seems that's what he is wanting from Eakin (Ruff considers him a great 2 way player).
I think we need a wicked shot on the Spezza line.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I was thinking we need a Jere Lehtinen for the Benn Seguin line. Kinda seems that's what he is wanting from Eakin (Ruff considers him a great 2 way player).
I think we need a wicked shot on the Spezza line.

Jere had one, but yeah we do need a wicked shot on Spezza's line. We don't have one in our system that's NHL-ready yet. Ritchie has a good shot and may be he closest thing for now. Good shot yes..."wicked"...nah. Who has the best shot of our forward prospects?

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Looking over ice time in the game. The bottom 5 in toi were Moen Sceviour Hemsky Eaves Spezza

Are really paying more than 10 mil for the next few years to watch Spezza and Hemsky get borderline 3rd/4th line minutes?

Moen got 7 minutes of ice time. I strongly believe that we have players easily ready for nhl minutes to improve into possible top 6 players that would be better served on the roster than Moen getting 7 minutes. I like Moen fine but McKenzie is a better player now in my opinion. I have no problem with Eaves minutes as he has been a very good player this season when played in his true role of 3rd 4th line tweener. To me at this point Moen might be the kind of guy best served to be brought in to play more physical teams or to replace an injured/suspended pker (if he ever gets on the pk).

nablock

May 8, 2014
Houston, Texas
Looking over ice time in the game. The bottom 5 in toi were Moen Sceviour Hemsky Eaves Spezza

Are really paying more than 10 mil for the next few years to watch Spezza and Hemsky get borderline 3rd/4th line minutes?

Moen got 7 minutes of ice time. I strongly believe that we have players easily ready for nhl minutes to improve into possible top 6 players that would be better served on the roster than Moen getting 7 minutes. I like Moen fine but McKenzie is a better player now in my opinion. I have no problem with Eaves minutes as he has been a very good player this season when played in his true role of 3rd 4th line tweener. To me at this point Moen might be the kind of guy best served to be brought in to play more physical teams or to replace an injured/suspended pker (if he ever gets on the pk).

7 penalty kills. That's why Spezza and Hemsky didn't get much time. Moen was brought in for the PK, so his lack of ice time last game is pretty disturbing.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Jere had one, but yeah we do need a wicked shot on Spezza's line. We don't have one in our system that's NHL-ready yet. Ritchie has a good shot and may be he closest thing for now. Good shot yes..."wicked"...nah. Who has the best shot of our forward prospects?

Another question is have they even put anybody with a good shot on the Spezza Hemsky line?
Roussel gets good elevation up close and generally is good near the net.
McKenzie seems to be a net front dirty goal kind of player as well.
Cole NO
Eaves don't think so
Eakin hasn't been on it. I think he has a good shot but lacks accuracy.
Roussel and McKenzie didn't look bad but on the 2nd but they aren't the longterm solution.

I'd like to see McKenzie get a shot with Benn and Seguin before Nuke gets back and puts that spot on lockdown.
Nuke might be good with Spezza Hemsky but I question their desire to play defense if put together.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
7 penalty kills. That's why Spezza and Hemsky didn't get much time. Moen was brought in for the PK, so his lack of ice time last game is pretty disturbing.

Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't get the game so was purely going by stats. Shows why that's a dangerous thing to do. Very much agree about Moen. He excels at 1 thing and we aren't letting him do it. Well he also looked like a good fighter so maybe there is 2.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
Purely speculating here, and from the outside Nill and Ruff seem to be fine together.
But does anyone else see a disconnect possibly in visions for the roster between them.

For example Hemsky running down the lineup, while earned at one point, he is playing better and is all we have for top 6 wingers outside of Benn. My opinion is Nill's goal was simply to be great down the midde. Seguin Spezza Eakin Fids. You have 4 good players starting each line. Running Benn Hemsky Roussel and Horcoff and theoretically you have 2/3s of 4 really good lines. Yes after that it's mix and match and some movement is needed due to Nukes injury but still, it's hard to believe Eaves was pictured every playing top 6. Burying Hemskys playmaking ability ever playing with defensive minded guys like Moen and Fids couldn't be in Nill's vision.

I'm not saying Ruff has a ton to work with but it sure seems like he sees something different than Nill's picture at times.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Didn't think it was that brutal. Created tons of chances iirc, Hemsky and Benn were just in a funk at that time and not cashing in. I'm pretty sure Hemsky at a hat tricks worth of golden chances in 1 game with them. If they had time to gel as a unit I think it would be better however it leaves Spezza high and dry. Put a good player 2 way scorer with Spezza and Hemsky and you have a good 2nd line. Benn Spezza and Hemsky might be a dynamite line but then Seguin is out cold. Nomatter how you slice it, we need at least one more player to give us the 2 dynamite lines we were hoping to have.
We need another player that can simply put, bury the puck in the back of the net when Spezza or Seguin get them chances! Best case Ritchie can do that, and Nuke wasn't out of place on the top line last year but wasn't much of a finisher yet.

???-Seguin-Hemsky
Benn-Spezza-Eakin

Makes sense to me...Seguin doesn't really need a "particular" player to play alongside with him. He will still continue to produce at the same rate of he was given the ice time. Hemsky alongside Seguin can really help him get out of the pitfall.

I already said about the 2nd line. Benn needs help, Spezza needs someone around his calibre to play with him, and Eakin's 2 way game can help out the defensive side of that line.

???=Val/Peverley (I still have hope)/top prospect/new top 6 winger

Anybody BUT Cole, bottom 6 calibre players, and AHL level players.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Until we get Nuke healthy and productive NHL play out of Ritchie and Stransky we are going to be thin up front.

One somewhat troubling thing I have noticed is that Spezza seems to be the prototypical "pass first" center who tries to force the play with inferior linemates. He has a great shot so when he has to play with lower level guys or other playmakers like Hemsky he would be a more effective player by taking more shots. It is just way too easy to shut him down right now because his line is predictable unless he's with Benn and Seguin.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
???-Seguin-Hemsky
Benn-Spezza-Eakin

Makes sense to me...Seguin doesn't really need a "particular" player to play alongside with him.

This is hogwash. Seguin saddled with Roussel and Garbutt would not score anywhere close to the rate he does with Benn. Benn is no more helped by Seguin than Seguin is helped by Benn.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
This is hogwash. Seguin saddled with Roussel and Garbutt would not score anywhere close to the rate he does with Benn. Benn is no more helped by Seguin than Seguin is helped by Benn.

He certainly wouldn't score as much but he would still produce at an solid rate because he is an elite scorer. Iirc McKenzie was pretty solid at scoring in the Ahl when surrounded by above elite (Ahl) players. Maybe he could produce enough with Seguin and Hemsky for now to make it worth it when adding the extra help we would get from having another really good line.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
What about a full on shake up like:

Seguin - Spezza - Roussel
Benn - Eakin - Hemsky
Sceviour - Fiddler - Garbutt
Cole - Horcoff - Moen

Flip Seguin and Roussel to their usually sides and idk... I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I guess at this point wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I will say as much as I love Roussel I wouldn't be thrilled seeing him on the 1st line but if Eaves is the alternative then Roussel it is. I'd probably sit Moen for Eaves and put Sceviour on the Cole Horcoff Sceviour 4th line. I remember it looking pretty decent earlier in the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad