Post-Game Talk: The fans always believed we could do it, FLA comes back to beat COL 4-3 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
And if we could work our PP into the top 5-10 in the league from the current middle of the league these OT’s would start getting replaced by wins.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I only watched the first period but wow...the defense was so bad. Avs only had a dozen shots, but most of those were grade A chances, it's ridiculous. I'm glad we got the win, but this team's defense needs some serious improvement. I have no idea what needs to happen, hopefully Q can work on them with it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just the D core that is too stupid to consistently defend properly.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I only watched the first period but wow...the defense was so bad. Avs only had a dozen shots, but most of those were grade A chances, it's ridiculous. I'm glad we got the win, but this team's defense needs some serious improvement. I have no idea what needs to happen, hopefully Q can work on them with it, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just the D core that is too stupid to consistently defend properly.

Well with Matty(who has been surprisingly one of our best D’s so far in the early season) has been out and Stillman has been great in camp but it’s a different beast when it comes to game time. He had a couple giveaways in the first I believe and didn’t see him much after that.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Well with Matty(who has been surprisingly one of our best D’s so far in the early season) has been out and Stillman has been great in camp but it’s a different beast when it comes to game time. He had a couple giveaways in the first I believe and didn’t see him much after that.

That's a fair point, Matheson has been noticeably absent so hopefully he comes back and pushes a few guys down the depth chart. I just see no urgency to defend the front of our net, it drives me crazy.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I guess it turns out that directly issuing a challenge to the manhood of several world-class athletes is probably not the best way to get them to continue phoning in their evening.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hoffman is the worst 5v5 player on the team and it's not even close.

I almost think he hurts our PP at times as well because we're so focused on feeding him for the one-timer. Plus, everyone knows it's coming. If we could trade him for a top 4 D, I would definitely consider it. I just don't think Hoffman is a fit here long-term. If we're in a playoff spot, I would just keep him as an internal rental, though. He may end up walking as a UFA, but if we make the playoffs, who cares.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I almost think he hurts our PP at times as well because we're so focused on feeding him for the one-timer. Plus, everyone knows it's coming. If we could trade him for a top 4 D, I would definitely consider it. I just don't think Hoffman is a fit here long-term. If we're in a playoff spot, I would just keep him as an internal rental, though. He may end up walking as a UFA, but if we make the playoffs, who cares.

I don't mind keeping him and losing him for nothing. But at this point it seems whatever line he's on, dies. He needs to score consistently on the PP so that having him in the lineup is worth it. Maybe getting Tro back will help.

Anyway I don't mind if they move him for help defensively. It's a good situation imo, no need to force a trade.

Reactions: Montsy14

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017

I really like what Hoffman brings to the power play. He's had some great moments in 3vs3, as well. But if we can get a good defenseman for him, I think I have to begrudgingly admit that you pull the trigger on that immediately.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
2 wins and five points from this roadtrip? I'll take it :) Obviously I'd rather they not be down two first but you got to love these comebacks.

6-3-4 (16 points in 13 games, on pace for 101 over the whole season). This was the best October and the best 13 games this team has had since the 1999-2000 season when we stood at essentially the same record as now (same amount of points, a couple ties instead of SOL).
That is... actually pretty depressing? Like, this was a good month but how much do you have to suck long-term when 6-3-4 is your best effort in twenty years?! Only the 1995-96 and 1996-97 Panthers had better start-of-the-year records than this group....

Anyway, good October and really happy we got the win :)

To answer the question about how much you have to suck, the answer is that I think you can make the case that the Panthers have been the worst team in North American pro sports since the turn of the century. I can't really think of any teams that have a worse record of futility in that time except for possibly the Cleveland Browns.

So yeah, you have to be happy with that October. It was significantly better than the norm for us.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I don't mind keeping him and losing him for nothing. But at this point it seems whatever line he's on, dies. He needs to score consistently on the PP so that having him in the lineup is worth it. Maybe getting Tro back will help.

Anyway I don't mind if they move him for help defensively. It's a good situation imo, no need to force a trade.

Tro is on the hotseat for me as well. I haven't seen anything from him this season so far. Our center depth isnt great so he is probably safer but he needs to step way up 5 on 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad