The Expansion Draft. How do you want/see it go for the Flyers

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
After that press conference and the way the team played, the Organization has to fire AV immedicately. He is mentally out of it. The team has quit playing for him. The bigger problem is who do you put in to replace him for rest of season?
upload_2021-4-14_8-54-7.gif

Reactions: Flyer lurker

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Automatically protected:
Farabee
Frost
Tanner

Protected Forwards:
Giroux (NMC)
Voracek
Hayes (NMC)
Konecny
Couts
Laughton
Lindblom

Protected D-men:
Provy
Sanheim
Ghost/Myers (one or the other)

Protected Goalie:
Hart

Exposing JVR after having a good year could really help be a good lure for Seattle. They do need to hit the cap floor and I don't think his contract is THAT unreasonable for his output. A bit overpriced, but reasonable for them. Another part to go to this, how many other high contract players will Seattle take to help hit the floor?
I like NAK, but I do think he's more of a dime a dozen kind of player compared to some of the others being protected.
I want to give Patrick another shot, but... I think there are better players as of right now to hold onto, so he could definitely be seen as a restoration project for Seattle.
While I like what I've seen from Morin, I think him, along with Braun and Hagg are very easy to expose to this draft.

For players coming into their own, young players like Tanner, Frost, Farabee, Zamula, York, Allison, Wisdom, Foerster and a few others can definitely take a run at getting time next year to see what they're made off to. Future is looking good.
I would absolutely expose Voracek. He most likely will not be taken due to cup hit, but he needs a jolt and perhaps a change of scenery.

Reactions: IronMarshal

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I would absolutely expose Voracek. He most likely will not be taken due to cup hit, but he needs a jolt and perhaps a change of scenery.

While his cap hit isn't great, he's still 2nd for points on this team and 2nd for points per game. I think JVR is the easier to guy to expose as he would be higher up there to be taken and relieve the Flyers of their cap hit some.

If the Flyers actually fix their f***ing PP, he'll be doing a lot more, but we know that the PP is still a mess.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
While his cap hit isn't great, he's still 2nd for points on this team and 2nd for points per game. I think JVR is the easier to guy to expose as he would be higher up there to be taken and relieve the Flyers of their cap hit some.

If the Flyers actually fix their f***ing PP, he'll be doing a lot more, but we know that the PP is still a mess.

I hear you and, actually, I do not have problem with his salary. I understand importance of scoring. But the fact is that the Flyers do not outscore the rivals, so more complete game is required from every player. This year, due to playing strong divisional games only, was an indicator of the team's skill, character, and compete level. Im my opinion the team, and mostly, Jake, Hayes, and JVR failed that test. Therefore, I am not opposed to Jake's exposure to Seattle.
Unfortunately, Hayes may not be exposed.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I hear you and, actually, I do not have problem with his salary. I understand importance of scoring. But the fact is that the Flyers do not outscore the rivals, so more complete game is required from every player. This year, due to playing strong divisional games only, was an indicator of the team's skill, character, and compete level. Im my opinion the team, and mostly, Jake, Hayes, and JVR failed that test. Therefore, I am not opposed to Jake's exposure to Seattle.
Unfortunately, Hayes may not be exposed.

He has a NMC. He can't be exposed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Automatically protected:
Farabee
Frost
Tanner

Protected Forwards:
Giroux (NMC)
Voracek
Hayes (NMC)
Konecny
Couts
Laughton
Lindblom

Protected D-men:
Provy
Sanheim
Ghost/Myers (one or the other)

Protected Goalie:
Hart

Exposing JVR after having a good year could really help be a good lure for Seattle. They do need to hit the cap floor and I don't think his contract is THAT unreasonable for his output. A bit overpriced, but reasonable for them. Another part to go to this, how many other high contract players will Seattle take to help hit the floor?
I like NAK, but I do think he's more of a dime a dozen kind of player compared to some of the others being protected.
I want to give Patrick another shot, but... I think there are better players as of right now to hold onto, so he could definitely be seen as a restoration project for Seattle.
While I like what I've seen from Morin, I think him, along with Braun and Hagg are very easy to expose to this draft.

For players coming into their own, young players like Tanner, Frost, Farabee, Zamula, York, Allison, Wisdom, Foerster and a few others can definitely take a run at getting time next year to see what they're made off to. Future is looking good.

If Patrick is exposed it will take Seattle about 1.4 milliseconds to snatch him and it will be an opportunity lost for the Flyers to shed a significant salary.

I think it's more likely we give them a sweetener to protect Patrick / Oskar or there is a trade coming and this is all moot.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'd just like to point out that points are not everything.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I'd just like to point out that points are not everything.

I get that, but I think he has more value on this team going forward than with JVR.

If Patrick is exposed it will take Seattle about 1.4 milliseconds to snatch him and it will be an opportunity lost for the Flyers to shed a significant salary.

I think it's more likely we give them a sweetener to protect Patrick / Oskar or there is a trade coming and this is all moot.

Maybe trade them Oskar so they can take JVR and protect Patrick instead?

It would allow the Flyers to have over 20M in free cap space for next season. Easily enough to spend the money on someone like Hamilton (8M+). And then room to re-sign Patrick, Hart and Sanheim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I get that, but I think he has more value on this team going forward than with JVR.

It would allow the Flyers to have over 20M in free cap space for next season. Easily enough to spend the money on someone like Hamilton (8M+). And then room to re-sign Patrick, Hart and Sanheim.

No. Lindblom is too valuable going forward, don't know what will happen next year, but I'm not giving up on top young talent.

JVR is more likely to be taken by Seattle than Voracek, but I'd expose both of them and protect another young forward.
Flyers broke even on Laughton/Raffl, cleared $3M with Gus. But that will be spent on a backup goalie with Elliott's $1.5M.

If Voracek is as good as some claim, it should be easy to trade him this summer. Ditto with Ghost if he's not claimed by Seattle.
JVR is on a 2 year deal, I don't think he'd be that hard to move.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The Flyers are going to protect Oskar, and they should. I still think last years Oskar will make a return.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Voracek > JVR

You keep Jake if it's a decision between the two.

Absolutely. I would be looking at the trade market for Voracek at the draft. I really think this team needs to have a big jolt. I think Jake would return more than a significant haul. Jake is still a prime player. We have many holes that need to be filled.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Jake would be a good fit for a veteran team that needs scoring, ditto with JVR.
Neither are bad guys, but both are big offensive forwards who play a soft game (though JVR has shown more snarl this year).

G & Couts are another matter, they do everything and are responsible defensively. Those are your only "core" players.

Easy way to value a player - if they were FAs this summer, what kind of offers would they receive on a term that's their remaining contract?
JVR - 2yr/$12M
Voracek - 3yr/$28M

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Voracek > JVR

You keep Jake if it's a decision between the two.

You expose them both. I doubt either gets taken. Jake is a good player and would be a good one for Seattle to add to their team. The term remaining at that price will be the thing that drives them away if anything does.
JVR is cheaper and at a shorter term. He might be good on their PP1 as a net front presence, pigeoning goals.
I think Ghost is who they grab though. Ghost is elite at running a PP, has a reasonable deal, is playing much better, adapting to his loss in speed, and has limited term.
If Patrick is exposed he gets grabbed, no question about it. It is one season too early to give up on him. You can use him as a valued chip in a major trade, but you can't let him go for nothing. If next year is like this year, that is a whole other story.
Protect: Girouix, Hayes (NMC), Coots, TK, Patrick, Lindblom, Provy, Sanheim, and Myers, and of course Hart.

I would also try to move te unprotected guys in deals if possible.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Absolutely. I would be looking at the trade market for Voracek at the draft. I really think this team needs to have a big jolt. I think Jake would return more than a significant haul. Jake is still a prime player. We have many holes that need to be filled.

You’d get something along the lines of a 2nd, a B prospect, a lesser cap dump, maybe salary retained on the Flyers end. Jake is still a fine scorer, but he’s not in his prime. His contract is not easily movable, especially with a flat cap.

The only way the Flyers win that trade is if they just want cap space and are content to rebuild. Nothing of significance will be returned, nothing that moves the needle in the short term, and I can almost guarantee that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I only used him as an example. I'm saying that if there is a contract to shed (one that's easier than others), I'd say JVR is it.

I think most likely scenario if they don't intend to trade Patrick is that they just expose all 3 of JVR, Jake, and Ghost and just let the chips fall where they may.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad