The Expansion Draft. How do you want/see it go for the Flyers

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You’d get something along the lines of a 2nd, a B prospect, a lesser cap dump, maybe salary retained on the Flyers end. Jake is still a fine scorer, but he’s not in his prime. His contract is not easily movable, especially with a flat cap.

The only way the Flyers win that trade is if they just want cap space and are content to rebuild. Nothing of significance will be returned, nothing that moves the needle in the short term, and I can almost guarantee that.

It also opens spots for younger players.

The same reason Voracek and JVR won't return a king's ransom is the reason to trade them, their best years are behind them, so if they're not good enough in the top six to get this team to the playoffs, no big loss. If the team takes a step backward, better shot at landing a top six forward in the draft, if a couple kids step up, then you save a lot of cap room for a contending team.

At this point they're more valuable to a contending team that needs scoring than a very young team that needs leadership.

G - Couts - TK
Laughton - Hayes - Farabee
Lindblom - Frost - Allison/Patrick
??? - Laczynski - NAK
with Foerster, Brink, JOB, & Wisdom (all RH) in the wings, along with Willman and the Cates brothers.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Just read this thread from the pov of a Kraken fan.
Most days I've felt like Ghost was the most likely pick, even when he was scratched because A. I know what he can do, and B. his cap hit is frankly no big deal to a team that is starting at $0. I'd like to see something that benefits both teams and think Ghost is the sweet spot rather than one of the 7M guys.

One thing I wouldn't count on is the "sweetener". Every other fanbase here thinks they'll send their trash to the PNW along with a "sweetener". Who knows, maybe Francis intends to turn the whole roster over in two years anyway, and plans to stock up for the future. But I get a vibe that management wants to show Seattle a good time and that means taking the more exciting player you want rather than a deal for just some guy.

There's some hockey heritage in SEA but for the most part, people new to the sport are going to be filling that building and they are already all pumped up for this; smart ownership/ management will try to cement some fan commitment for the long term.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I don't care how this shakes out, there's no doubt in my mind Fletcher won't be able to make this team a contender, there's nothing in his approach or track record that says he can make a savvy move or even a competent one, I'm starting to believe he was a safe hire not a real "let's win a cup" hire, f*** him, f*** the coaching staff, and f*** the front office for destroying the team that I love, wasting G's career, wasting a decade on a fake-ass rebuild and promising the future will be great, I wish I was a multi, multi millionaire I'd buy the franchise and make MSE the President, Cap the GM, Beefy the coach, and make Deadhead and Striiker the assistant coaches, obviously when Striiker graduates high school, and I kid you not that crew could do a better job than what is going on right now

Deadhead would be dead by strike out i guess in this scenario

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
Just read this thread from the pov of a Kraken fan.
Most days I've felt like Ghost was the most likely pick, even when he was scratched because A. I know what he can do, and B. his cap hit is frankly no big deal to a team that is starting at $0. I'd like to see something that benefits both teams and think Ghost is the sweet spot rather than one of the 7M guys.

One thing I wouldn't count on is the "sweetener". Every other fanbase here thinks they'll send their trash to the PNW along with a "sweetener". Who knows, maybe Francis intends to turn the whole roster over in two years anyway, and plans to stock up for the future. But I get a vibe that management wants to show Seattle a good time and that means taking the more exciting player you want rather than a deal for just some guy.

There's some hockey heritage in SEA but for the most part, people new to the sport are going to be filling that building and they are already all pumped up for this; smart ownership/ management will try to cement some fan commitment for the long term.
like your post. Great Post. Did you have a place on your teams bandwagon besides you? Searching for smart hockey ownership and managment

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I would imagine they protect:
Giroux
Hayes
Couturier
TK
Laughton
Lindblom
Patrick

Provorov
Sanheim
Myers

Hart

Leaving unprotected: Voracek, JVR, Ghost, Braun, Hagg, NAK

I think they'll dare Seattle to take a big contract. I don't think Seattle will bite. They'll end up taking Hagg.

Reactions: phil162888

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think you'll see any trades until after the expansion draft is over.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It also opens spots for younger players.

The same reason Voracek and JVR won't return a king's ransom is the reason to trade them, their best years are behind them, so if they're not good enough in the top six to get this team to the playoffs, no big loss. If the team takes a step backward, better shot at landing a top six forward in the draft, if a couple kids step up, then you save a lot of cap room for a contending team.

At this point they're more valuable to a contending team that needs scoring than a very young team that needs leadership.

G - Couts - TK
Laughton - Hayes - Farabee
Lindblom - Frost - Allison/Patrick
??? - Laczynski - NAK
with Foerster, Brink, JOB, & Wisdom (all RH) in the wings, along with Willman and the Cates brothers.

Well, I'm operating under the realistic assumption that Voracek and JVR don't both go away in the same offseason, along with their $15.25 million in cap space. They're also our 2 leading point getters, pacing for almost 70 each -- without a wildly functional PP. JVR as been an adept play-driver; Voracek, at worst, is a neutral type scorer who can create transition plays.

It's possible one goes, but I don't know how much cap space opens up, or if a roster spot opens up. It's possible they take a salary dump back, eat salary, etc. Expansion depending. And we know damn well that whatever cap space is opened up this offseason will be invested in a mid-tier non-difference maker. Bias for action and all.

Do you know what that lineup looks like? With Giroux and Couturier 1 year away from free agency? Not a playoff team; then a team in a deep rebuild. The Philadelphia Blue Jackets.

I will be flabbergasted if every attempt is not made to field a playoff caliber roster in the short-term. Notice I didn't say, "Contender." Hell, the roster right now is playoff caliber; it's just been wrecked by goaltending and coaching.

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
After that press conference and the way the team played, the Organization has to fire AV immedicately. He is mentally out of it. The team has quit playing for him. The bigger problem is who do you put in to replace him for rest of season?

artworks-000186592548-io077e-t500x500.jpg

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
I would imagine they protect:
Giroux
Hayes
Couturier
TK
Laughton
Lindblom
Patrick

Provorov
Sanheim
Myers

Hart

Leaving unprotected: Voracek, JVR, Ghost, Braun, Hagg, NAK

I think they'll dare Seattle to take a big contract. I don't think Seattle will bite. They'll end up taking Hagg.

Seattle has already invested heavily into their analytics department, and by all accounts Ron Francis is a big believer in them. I see literally no world where they take Hagg.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, I'm operating under the realistic assumption that Voracek and JVR don't both go away in the same offseason, along with their $15.25 million in cap space. They're also our 2 leading point getters, pacing for almost 70 each -- without a wildly functional PP. JVR as been an adept play-driver; Voracek, at worst, is a neutral type scorer who can create transition plays.

It's possible one goes, but I don't know how much cap space opens up, or if a roster spot opens up. It's possible they take a salary dump back, eat salary, etc. Expansion depending. And we know damn well that whatever cap space is opened up this offseason will be invested in a mid-tier non-difference maker. Bias for action and all.

Do you know what that lineup looks like? With Giroux and Couturier 1 year away from free agency? Not a playoff team; then a team in a deep rebuild. The Philadelphia Blue Jackets.

I will be flabbergasted if every attempt is not made to field a playoff caliber roster in the short-term. Notice I didn't say, "Contender." Hell, the roster right now is playoff caliber; it's just been wrecked by goaltending and coaching.

We made the playoffs with one line, two top four defenseman and Elliott/Neuvirth in goal with 98 regular season points.
How much do you think Voracek and JVR will score the next two seasons? I'll bet it's well below this season.
JVR is having his best season since he was 27, doubt it's sustainable. Voracek is well above his career norm of secondary assists.

What's interesting is when you look at xGF/60, Flyers are evenly distributed:
Hayes 2.30
G 2.20
JVR 2.20
Couts 2.19
TK 2.16
Lindblom 2.16
Farabee 2.08
Laughton 2.07
Voracek 2.02
Patrick 1.95
NAK 1.84