The Expansion Draft. How do you want/see it go for the Flyers

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Since the season is cooked we might as well start looking into the off season starting with the ED. How do you think it will go? It seems that the 7-3-1 format for protection makes the most sense. Provorov, Sanheim and Myers being protected. The forwards are open to discussion-Hayes and Giroux because of NMCs, obviously Couturier, Konecny. I'd add JVR, Lindblom and Patrick. This is a pace where Fletcher will really have to show some skill to control the damage to the roster and perhaps take advantage of it by making deals with other clubs. Ideas?

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Couldn't give a shit less. Organization is doomed as it currently stands. We've had several great drafts since we started emphasizing it more back in 2014 and 7 years later we are still yo-yoing in and out of the playoffs and are no threat to win a Cup.

Also, are you talking about the Expansion Draft or the Entry Draft? Those are 2 different things and there is already and Expansion Draft thread somewhere.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
IDEALLY...we trade laughton at the deadline and lose one of jvr, braun, hagg to free up some room. JVR would free up room to go after a piece in FA/trade. Braun and hagg would free up room for another bottom-pairing that is much better via FA/york to come in soon

BigBear

Mar 28, 2021
without a coaching staff complete rinse, nothing will matter..

not even a team of all stars could be good under this "system"..

I completely agree with this assessment. For a team to fall as far and as hard as the players having just a short year falls back on the head coach and his assistants. Their system is flawed. I believe the change my start with the coaching staff. I believe that AV is unable or unwilling to do this. Chuck Fletcher must except responsibility here and get the sign off of Dave Scott to change out all of the assistant coaches as a first step. See through to the end of the season and measure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You protect, G, Hayes, Couts, TK, Lindblom, Patrick, then it gets tricky.
Protect NAK and give Seattle the choice of Ghost, JVR, Voracek (take a contract off our hands) or Braun, Morin, Hagg?

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You protect, G, Hayes, Couts, TK, Lindblom, Patrick, then it gets tricky.
Protect NAK and give Seattle the choice of Ghost, JVR, Voracek (take a contract off our hands) or Braun, Morin, Hagg?
This is what was on my mind. There have to be ways for the Flyers to manipulate things with Seattle so that they would take, say Jake, if the Flyers also would chip in Hagg, NAK or some such player and stay away from others that the Flyers might want to keep without giving up primo draft picks? IMO this draft is extremely significant. Blow it and the system loses opportunities. Play it right and other post draft options will be there for the club.

Reactions: marcsson68

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I guess Morin is not exempt, he played a few games in prior years, so doesn't count as a 1st or 2nd year player. Meyers has played 3 years so he isnt exempt either.

I think these rules and the flat cap are going to hamstring trades before the deadline, unless some team wants to go all in this year.

Zod

Disappointment Train
May 31, 2011
Pay Seattle to aim for JVR or Jake if neither is traded before the deadline. Either would benefit the Kraken and clears the most cap for us.

Reactions: marcsson68

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I guess Morin is not exempt, he played a few games in prior years, so doesn't count as a 1st or 2nd year player. Meyers has played 3 years so he isnt exempt either.

I think these rules and the flat cap are going to hamstring trades before the deadline, unless some team wants to go all in this year.
I have mentioned it a few times, but Morin is actually a Group 6 UFA this summer.

So he could look to move on to another team given he can see all the LHD we have on the roster and with Y&Z coming. Or maybe Fletch has no desire to sign him either. And even if he does, it won't likely be for much and Morin will decide to see what other teams will offer.

I know he has limitations, but I like having a big SOB who will hit PROPERLY, fight, rub guys off the puck, stand up for teammates, etc...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin may wait until after the ED, see who gets taken from the Flyers.
He's not really in competition with the young LHDs, because only Hagg comes close to his skill set.

Reactions: Larry44

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
JVR being claimed would probably be the best outcome, and is fairly likely IMO. Then try to sign Hamilton.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
My dream scenario is they trade JVR/Voracek before the TDL and the other gets selected in the Exp Draft. This way we only have to worry about Hayes albtross contract and G & Cout next contracts. If we still have Hayes, Voracek, and an extended G and Couts, that is going to be some scary sh!t (and not in a good way)

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I just want JVR to be claimed and I'll be thrilled. That's been my personal vision for the team since he was signed (not because he's bad - but because someone has to go and he makes a lot of $ for how much he "takes off" nights).

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just want JVR to be claimed and I'll be thrilled. That's been my personal vision for the team since he was signed (not because he's bad - but because someone has to go and he makes a lot of $ for how much he "takes off" nights).

Interesting that you feel this way about JVR but not Voracek, who also takes nights off, is worse defensively, and has a longer more expensive contract.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Get your minds out of the gutters.

Put the coaches there instead.
you want them exposed while on coaches? Like George Costanza?

R67ab53c93ca130beb04866d0198c3e9b

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->