TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'd really love this show to get picked up for more especially by hbo

Who knows what's going to happen after this season. Alcon has been quiet about what's happening after this season, but has left the door open for more. The cast, Wes for example, has thrown all sorts of hints that [WINK] Anything is possible[/IAMTOTTALLYNOTWINKING]

But whatever it is they have planned, it sounds like they wanna do it on their own terms. Who knows what's actually happening behind the scenes.

Also, if they are going to do the last 3 books, they are going to need HBO levels of money, cause oh boy do things get big.

Reactions: HanSolo

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Who knows what's going to happen after this season. Alcon has been quiet about what's happening after this season, but has left the door open for more. The cast, Wes for example, has thrown all sorts of hints that [WINK] Anything is possible[/IAMTOTTALLYNOTWINKING]

But whatever it is they have planned, it sounds like they wanna do it on their own terms. Who knows what's actually happening behind the scenes.

Also, if they are going to do the last 3 books, they are going to need HBO levels of money, cause oh boy do things get big.

Well, Amazon definitely has HBO levels of money and much more but I don't know if they care about content as much. The show is highly rated but I'm not sure if their viewership is that high. Most people I know have never watched the show.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Well, Amazon definitely has HBO levels of money and much more but I don't know if they care about content as much. The show is highly rated but I'm not sure if their viewership is that high. Most people I know have never watched the show.

Alcon has said ad nauseum that they are running on around the same budget they were when they were with SciFy.

If they were receiving ridiculous amounts of Bezos' money, it would show in the advertising, which is close to nill. We know Alcon wants to do their own thing with the show. What that looks like though is completely unknown. The idea for a trilogy of movies has been thrown around a lot, but I think most of the talk is solely fan speculation.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Alcon has said ad nauseum that they are running on around the same budget they were when they were with SciFy.

If they were receiving ridiculous amounts of Bezos' money, it would show in the advertising, which is close to nill. We know Alcon wants to do their own thing with the show. What that looks like though is completely unknown. The idea for a trilogy of movies has been thrown around a lot, but I think most of the talk is solely fan speculation.

Yeah, I just don't think Amazon cares that much about content or want to invest $$$ in something else. We can look at GOT when that show became so expensive, HBO cut down on episodes and rushed it. This show doesn't require so many sets with much of being done with CGI and inside studio lots.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We can look at GOT when that show became so expensive, HBO cut down on episodes and rushed it. This show doesn't require so many sets with much of being done with CGI and inside studio lots.

My understanding is that the actors also didn't want to keep doing more and more seasons, which put a bit of a deadline on completing it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
My understanding is that the actors also didn't want to keep doing more and more seasons, which put a bit of a deadline on completing it.

That's part of it but the show also became very expensive to produce. For The Expanse, HBO is only interested if it sells subs and I'm not sure if it would. The show is still fairly under the radar. Netflix is also starving for content but I feel anyone taking on this show is going to have the buy the existing content from Amazon as well. I could see the show done for a few years and then someone picks it up for a reboot.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
So these guys

upload_2021-11-24_10-29-51.png

I expected them to be robotic as they are PM technology and not a species. Unless they are not the repair drones, or, they are going with the dogs being an evolved species????

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So these guys

View attachment 483623

I expected them to be robotic as they are PM technology and not a species. Unless they are not the repair drones, or, they are going with the dogs being an evolved species????

I really hope they stay away from goofy space aliens in the final season. The show is already positioned for the typical Sci-Fi good vs. evil final showdown and honestly, that's not what it always was before and the main reason I enjoyed it.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I really hope they stay away from goofy space aliens in the final season. The show is already positioned for the typical Sci-Fi good vs. evil final showdown and honestly, that's not what it always was before and the main reason I enjoyed it.

Have you read the books? It's far from a good vs evil scenario. In-fact, it's nothing like that.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The first episode of Season 6 was released today.

The opening five minutes were a bit confusing. If it hadn't started with a "Previously on" recap, I would've wondered if I was watching the right show.

Overall, it didn't really grab me, but not much tends to happen in the first episode of a season, anyways, and it took most of it for me to remember what happened last season. It always takes a few episodes each season for me to get back into this show, so I'm not worried.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The first episode of Season 6 was released today.

The opening five minutes were a bit confusing. If it hadn't started with a "Previously on" recap, I would've wondered if I was watching the right show.

Overall, it didn't really grab me, but not much tends to happen in the first episode of a season, anyways, and it took most of it for me to remember what happened last season. It always takes a few episodes each season for me to get back into this show, so I'm not worried.

That would be half the season, since it's only 6 episodes.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That would be half the season, since it's only 6 episodes.

I forgot about that. OK, now I'm a little worried, especially since GoT's final season was the same length and we know how that went. :laugh:

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I forgot about that. OK, now I'm a little worried, especially since GoT's final season was the same length and we know how that went. :laugh:

Everyone who has watched the whole season say it lands just fine.

Alcon and the production team are going out on their own terms. No one knows exactly why they are stopping here, but it sounds like they want full and complete control over the direction of the show, which means waiting a while until Amazon loses the rights.

None the less, there are 3 more books left to adapt, which are arguably the best in the series (Next to Nemesis games). And a stoppage here isn't problematic in any way. I can't get into it without major major spoilers, but if they stop here, they can literally pick back up at any time with adapting Persepolis Rising and there won't be any issues.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
First episode was fine. But no real ramp up moment. A whole lot of "here's where everyone's not" not a lot of "oh shiiit here's where we're going."

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Those belter assholes can get hit with a couple of body blows anytime now. They're just too smug and annoying after killing Earth.

Earth is quite dead.

Book spoiler
Over 15 billion die from the asteroids and the subsequent effects of the attacks. And Earth is quite broken. Essentially, it's in a death spiral

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad