TV: The Expanse (Season 5)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

SO WHY NOT MAKE A SEASON 7 OF THE EXPANSE?

When The Expanse was renewed, there were contracts signed between Amazon and Syfy for the show’s rights, including the three seasons. From what I’m hearing, Amazon can do a sequel series and movie under the terms of the arrangement rather than re-negotiate with SyFy. Hence why the show is ‘ending’ but will continue.

This makes a ton of sense now.

Reactions: Jussi and Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Even the article has been deleted now. Oh well. The site wasn't familiar and the rumor was suspect, but I thought that I'd post it anyways just in case.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's true about the licensing rights and Amazon eventually continuing the series under another name, maybe sort of like The Orville Season 3.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
PastelFarGourami-size_restricted.gif

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The show has trouble with focus. It's trying to do big and small scale at the same time. On one hand, we've got this plotline about the little girl on Laconia trying to play nice with her little critters, and on the other, oh yeah the EARTH IS DEAD and the entire solar system is at war. And we're not really getting that. There's stuff with Holden and the Roci, but it's one ship in what should be epic action that never happens.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The show has trouble with focus. It's trying to do big and small scale at the same time. On one hand, we've got this plotline about the little girl on Laconia trying to play nice with her little critters, and on the other, oh yeah the EARTH IS DEAD and the entire solar system is at war. And we're not really getting that. There's stuff with Holden and the Roci, but it's one ship in what should be epic action that never happens.

It's the side plots they are choosing to dedicate time to with limited episodes left. It almost feels like filler but how can you have filler with six episodes in the final season and they are halfway done.

I guess there is an additional 25 minutes of footage out there but it's not relevant to the main plot,

PSA: You’ll miss 25 minutes of The Expanse’s final season if you don’t pause it

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally got caught up and imagined that I might be alone in my thoughts, but maybe not.

For whatever reason, I'm having trouble getting into this season. Some of that could be because it feels like an extension of Season 5 rather than a new season. I'm a little tired of Marco and his son and would likely find it more interesting if there were a new villain and new locations. It's also moving rather slowly, especially for being only 6 episodes, as you guys mentioned. Finally, it doesn't feel very epic. Instead of Earth vs the Belt or fleet vs fleet, it feels like just the Rocinante vs Marco's ship. That could still be exciting if it were like Star Trek II's cat and mouse, but this is more like The Last Jedi's space chase. There's no urgency. It feels like the series is still using last season's gas and running out of it. I really hope that it picks up in the final two episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: chicagoskycam

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I finally got caught up and imagined that I might be alone in my thoughts, but maybe not.

For whatever reason, I'm having trouble getting into this season. Some of that could be because it feels like an extension of Season 5 rather than a new season. I'm a little tired of Marco and his son and would likely find it more interesting if there were a new villain and new locations. It's also moving rather slowly, especially for being only 6 episodes, as you guys mentioned. Finally, it doesn't feel very epic. It feels like it's just the Rocinante vs Marco's ship, which could still be exciting if it were like Star Trek II's cat and mouse, but this is more like The Last Jedi's space chase. There's no urgency at all. It feels like the show is running on fumes. I really hope that it picks up in the final two episodes.

Yeah, Marco's speeches and Filip's confused looks - I've been over it for a while. Holden disarming the missile is a bit ridiculous - this guy is a mass murderer but somehow you think in the future you'll be able to get him while saving Filip. Filip turning on Marcos has been telegraphed for a while - just get it over with. Now you have to wrap everything up in two episodes.

These quick moments on the planet have also been annoying. There is just no flow to these episodes.

Reactions: Osprey

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
So the 5th episode is dedicated to Chrissy and Camina teaming up. Amos goes to a brothel (again) and maybe hooked up with Bobby after? A few other scattered moments on the planet. Are you ready for the finale? You would think the Camina/Christen moment would be interesting but it really wasn't. Camina's character after dealing with all this tragedy is not the same, crabby, pissy, and depressed all the time.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was a bit of a snoozer. I checked the time left several times in the second half. It's hard to believe that there's only one episode left to wrap everything up.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So the 5th episode is dedicated to Chrissy and Camina teaming up. Amos goes to a brothel (again) and maybe hooked up with Bobby after? A few other scattered moments on the planet. Are you ready for the finale? You would think the Camina/Christen moment would be interesting but it really wasn't. Camina's character after dealing with all this tragedy is not the same, crabby, pissy, and depressed all the time.

That was the kind of moment you have at the end of the penultimate season or at least halfway in a 10 episode season.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was the kind of moment you have at the end of the penultimate season or at least halfway in a 10 episode season.

I was thinking the same thing. It was a nice moment, and Episode 5 isn't a bad place for it... if the season is 10 episodes. I would've liked to have seen more than just one episode after it of them fighting on the same side and learning to trust each other.

Reactions: Jussi

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, Marco's speeches and Filip's confused looks - I've been over it for a while. Holden disarming the missile is a bit ridiculous - this guy is a mass murderer but somehow you think in the future you'll be able to get him while saving Filip. Filip turning on Marcos has been telegraphed for a while - just get it over with. Now you have to wrap everything up in two episodes.

These quick moments on the planet have also been annoying. There is just no flow to these episodes.

Lol, if the shows done a great job at transferring one character from paper to screen, it's been Holden.

Top to bottom, he's a righteous paladin who believes his responses are just and necessary.

Albeit, his responses involve pushing buttons (litterally, alot) impulsively. Complicating this mess, is the fact that he'll throw his own feelings and well being on the fire to protect Naomi and those he cares about.

Avasaralla and Johnson are the only characters in the series who completely understand the risk/reward of Holdens character.

Edit - quoted wrong person. Was supposed to be for @Osprey

Reactions: Jussi

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol, if the shows done a great job at transferring one character from paper to screen, it's been Holden.

Top to bottom, he's a righteous paladin who believes his responses are just and necessary.

I find him a bit mopey and less optimistic than the book character.

Avasaralla and Johnson are the only characters in the series who completely understand the risk/reward of Holdens character.
Edit - quoted wrong person. Was supposed to be for @Osprey

I really like Avarasala and her characterization. It's definitely on point.

To be honest, the closest character to the books IMO was Alex Kamal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad