The emergence of Jack Roslovic

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
Why do people keep say he will "come back down to earth"?

Roslovic is a former 1st round pick who as been PPG at every level he's played at (Jr/College/AHL), so maybe this is his breakout season and not just a "blip" like some are saying.

Because he's shown next to nothing but being a third line player at the NHL level aside from his time in Columbus. Lots of players look great in the AHL and below. They then come up to the NHL and turn out to be fairly bland or worse.

His skills are ones he's already shown when he was on the Jets so it's not some hidden talent never seen before. From his past with the Jets, and seeing glimpses of being a decent player like he is right now in Columbus, he always ends up letting you down eventually and becoming mediocre.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
He shown brilliance with the puck while in Winnipeg. He will be better CBJ has given he more ice time and looks happier in Columbus
Problem was Jets HC overuse their Vets and don’t trust the younger guys
Rosie been wanting out for a couple of years Chevy tried getting a late first rounder /early 2nd rounder No bites

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Because he's shown next to nothing but being a third line player at the NHL level aside from his time in Columbus. Lots of players look great in the AHL and below. They then come up to the NHL and turn out to be fairly bland or worse.

His skills are ones he's already shown when he was on the Jets so it's not some hidden talent never seen before. From his past with the Jets, and seeing glimpses of being a decent player like he is right now in Columbus, he always ends up letting you down eventually and becoming mediocre.

What do you think his ceiling is then? 3rd liner?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm not saying he's this guy or he's going to have this kind of a career, but John Leclair comes to mind.

Leclair looked like a perfect 3rd liner in Montreal. 19-25-44, could take an occasional spin in the top-6 and did so with Stephan Lebeau hurt most of the '93-94 season, but not a guy you thought would consistently stay there. Gets dealt to Philadelphia, gets put on a line with Lindros, and suddenly turns into a 50-goal scoring monster and puts up a pair of 1st-team All-Star nods and three 2nd-team All-Star selections in 5 years. Why? He put with someone that he found instant chemistry and he didn't have to play behind someone or a couple someones and worry about defense first. He scored points in college, but nothing that screamed
OH MY GOD, HE COULD SCORE 50 SOME YEAR! In the right situation, though, he did it. 3 times.

Again, not saying Roslovic will turn out anything near that, but it could well be that getting out of Winnipeg and getting a chance to play up a line helps him find his game and take it to a level some thought he'd never get to.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There were multiple media reports that Roslovic's agent made it clear he wasn't going to sign a contract with the jets and wanted to be moved.

Seemingly for good reason. I doubt Roslovic will be more than a #2C, but whether it was the the coaching staff, locker room, system, etc. it wasn't working out with the Jets.

Aphid

Oct 19, 2014
What do you think his ceiling is then? 3rd liner?

Solid third line and can fill in on the second line if injuries occur for the short term.

Again, not saying Roslovic will turn out anything near that, but it could well be that getting out of Winnipeg and getting a chance to play up a line helps him find his game and take it to a level some thought he'd never get to.

I actually hope he does turn out great. I like Columbus and they have good fans and deserve a good team in that city.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Was definitely pretty dumb of Chevy to throw him into the trade without Columbus adding a 2nd+okay prospect. Especially since it was Chevy who ended up adding the 3rd round pick to bring PLD to Winnipeg. :(

While I have alot of faith in PLD turning out great for the Jets, this trade is still very likely going to turn out to be a significant overpayment by Chevy.

Happy to see Laine and Roslovic succeeding in Columbus though. Enjoy it Blue Jackets fans. :popcorn:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I never really thought of Roslovic as a throw-in. It was obvious that he did have some value and the Jackets paid him almost $2million, so I think they viewed him as at least a 3rd line option

Jarmo after the trade:

"We view him as a top six center".

And:

"I think Jack Roslovic is going to be a huge part of this whole trade," Kekalainen said. "He's a guy that we wanted to draft, couldn't get it done. Obviously there's other teams that have their turn, too, and we couldn't get to him. Every time we've had any trade talks with Winnipeg, I've asked about Jack Roslovic"

I can't find the report now but I believe it was Friedman that reported that Jarmo said no to just Laine for PLD. He said it would have to be Laine+Roslovic.

Sure, PLD is a big centre, but Laine averages almost as many goals as PLD does points.

Roslovic was basically traded for a 3rd at best.

Laine's value is higher than PLD

Laine is a way bigger name and has a had a better career than PLD so far.
Jets got fleeced only getting a 3rd pick in return. Terrible

This just means that you two had a very mistaken idea of the value of these players.

Chevy said PLD was clearly the best thing they were offered for Laine. Is it your impression that Chevy had better offers and just stupidly turned them down?

Here's 10 NHL execs giving their opinion on the trade.

They either say win-win or they say it favors the Jets, which is the opinion that Lebrun concurs with. These are the people that make the market / set the value for players, so you should already realize that you were just wrong.

FWIW the analytics community has been pretty unanimous in saying that Dubois > Laine.

You can put PLD with pretty much any scrub linemates and rest assured they will outscore the opposition. Laine takes some care to make sure he doesn't get outscored at 5v5. Laine could end up being the better player, who knows, but GMs weren't betting that.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Jarmo after the trade:

"We view him as a top six center".

And:

"I think Jack Roslovic is going to be a huge part of this whole trade," Kekalainen said. "He's a guy that we wanted to draft, couldn't get it done. Obviously there's other teams that have their turn, too, and we couldn't get to him. Every time we've had any trade talks with Winnipeg, I've asked about Jack Roslovic"

I can't find the report now but I believe it was Friedman that reported that Jarmo said no to just Laine for PLD. He said it would have to be Laine+Roslovic.

This just means that you two had a very mistaken idea of the value of these players.

Chevy said PLD was clearly the best thing they were offered for Laine. Is it your impression that Chevy had better offers and just stupidly turned them down?

Here's 10 NHL execs giving their opinion on the trade.

They either say win-win or they say it favors the Jets, which is the opinion that Lebrun concurs with. These are the people that make the market / set the value for players, so you should already realize that you were just wrong.

FWIW the analytics community has been pretty unanimous in saying that Dubois > Laine.

You can put PLD with pretty much any scrub linemates and rest assured they will outscore the opposition. Laine takes some care to make sure he doesn't get outscored at 5v5. Laine could end up being the better player, who knows, but GMs weren't betting that.

I could care less about analytics. It's about profile.
Laine has one if the best shots in the game. PLD doesn't have the best anything in the game. I missed PLD at the all star game for their rookie year

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine has one if the best shots in the game. PLD doesn't have the best anything in the game. I missed PLD at the all star game for their rookie year

Profile? What is that?

Is this something that all these NHL execs that Lebrun quoted are just unaware of, that somehow shows they were all wrong to like the deal for the Jets?

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
For every Roslovic there is Domi.

Can’t get every trade to work out, at least not yet
I was sad (and mad) as hell to lose Domi. I knew he or Danault were on their way out, was just really sad it had to be Domi...

Has he been that awful for you guys? I just find it hard to believe.

Regardless, I’m really happy Roslovic seems to be killing it for you guys!

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Sure, PLD is a big centre, but Laine averages almost as many goals as PLD does points.

Roslovic was basically traded for a 3rd at best.
I understand the point you are trying to make but how does Laine average anywhere close to as many goals as PLD does points? Laine does not have a single 50 goal season let alone average it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was sad (and mad) as hell to lose Domi. I knew he or Danault were on their way out, was just really sad it had to be Domi...

Has he been that awful for you guys? I just find it hard to believe.

Regardless, I’m really happy Roslovic seems to be killing it for you guys!

Exécrable

I would be pleased if we could send him back for Danault, even knowing Danault hasn't been good this year.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Exécrable

I would be pleased if we could send him back for Danault, even knowing Danault hasn't been good this year.
I mean... if you offer our 3rd round pick back too, I might consider it :p

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Reject the data, accept the profile and all star appearance :huh:

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Not saying he won’t keep it up...but I can’t help but think of when Ryan Spooner joined the Rangers.
Not the best comp. Spooner was basically a cap dump from Boston, whereas it’s pretty clear Ros wasn’t a throw in but a player Jarmo sought after.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Was definitely pretty dumb of Chevy to throw him into the trade without Columbus adding a 2nd+okay prospect. Especially since it was Chevy who ended up adding the 3rd round pick to bring PLD to Winnipeg. :(

While I have alot of faith in PLD turning out great for the Jets, this trade is still very likely going to turn out to be a significant overpayment by Chevy.

Happy to see Laine and Roslovic succeeding in Columbus though. Enjoy it Blue Jackets fans. :popcorn:

I'd reckon that Chevy already knew that he'd lose in terms of value but he was willing to do it since the common sentiment is that any contending team needs two tier centers. Thus if there was even more competition for PLD's services he would've been willing to throw in more assets to get the deal done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad