The emergence of Jack Roslovic

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Why? We're just celebrating his good start. No one is saying Roslo is a world beater now.
I agree it’s been a great start but I want to see him continue this before suggesting he could be the best player in the deal or a star player, that’s all.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I agree it’s been a great start but I want to see him continue this before suggesting he could be the best player in the deal or a star player, that’s all.

I would imagine there is a close to 0% chance he's the best player in the deal over the long haul, but it's fun to imagine that scenario.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Also

Laine's value did not match PLDs value
Roslovic wasn't a "throw in" he was essential to CBus to get this trade done. I think they actually had this conversation before the season started but CBus felt that there was more value to get elsewhere and waited.
Laine's value wasn't enough to get PLD

Reactions: majormajor

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
He had 48 points in 65 games as an 19 year old AHL'er and was 1 ppg at 20 in the AHL but he couldn't crack the Jets top 6 and we play an energy/checking 3rd line and the 4th gets 5 minutes a game. Not surprised at all by his output

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Also

Roslovic wasn't a "throw in" he was essential to CBus to get this trade done. I think they actually had this conversation before the season started but CBus felt that there was more value to get elsewhere and waited.

Eh, I don't think PLD should have ever had that type of value.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Jets fan. I'm happy for Roslovic's success and wish him all the best in his career.

But the thing is Roslovic had been given looks on Winnipeg's Top-6 - he never really stood out or stuck, When the Jets were healthy there just wasn't the room for him there. That's just how it goes sometime.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
His breakout was a massive surprise to me. He oozes confidence whenever he has the puck. He has some mistakes but he's a breath of fresh air for our creatively inept team.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I always thought Winnipeg was grooming this guy to be their 2nd line center. I have always been a fan. Just didn't workout for him there I guess.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets fan. I'm happy for Roslovic's success and wish him all the best in his career.

But the thing is Roslovic had been given looks on Winnipeg's Top-6 - he never really stood out or stuck, When the Jets were healthy there just wasn't the room for him there. That's just how it goes sometime.
I thought he stood out with Laine and Little, but it just happened when Laine went on the worst scoring drought of his career. Roslo set him up with a lot of grade A opportunities but nothing was going.

Apart from that he never got a chance at center.

Reactions: hn777

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Not that surprised really. Always seemed like he could be a breakout candidate with some more opportunity. A player I wanted the Flames to acquire for a couple years now, him and Armia both. That the Jets can afford to lose these players as throw-ins and still be a dangerous offensive team is a testament to the kind of forward depth Chevy has built there.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Also

Sure, PLD is a big centre, but Laine averages almost as many goals as PLD does points.

Roslovic was basically traded for a 3rd at best.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets hit rate on their 1st rounders is crazy. Thought this would be the one mediocre pick.
Jets drafting in general has been pretty strong, they've also shipped out so many picks for quick short term fixes it's hard not to think about how much better they could be.
They're pretty on point drafting older players as well. Copp, Hellebuyck, Appleton, and Poolman all went undrafted in their original draft years.

Reactions: RRenegade and hn777
Nov 24, 2006
Imagine if he ended up being the best player in that deal?

I liked him in Winnipeg too, I don't really get why they were in such a rush to move him.
Right or wrong, when Bryan Little went on LTIR and wasn't going to play this year, Roslovic probably legitimately thought he would be the #2C. When the Jets then went and traded for Stastny, that probably was his cue to ask for a trade. As much as I like Stastny, he's 10+ years older than Ros and won't be here next year.

Trading Laine for Dubois was the right thing to do, and I'd do that trade every day as a Jet fan. Roslovic doing so well in Columbus seems like a lost opportunity for the Jets. It looks like he really just needed a new opportunity and he ran with it.

That said, Mason Appleton has effectively replaced Ros on the Jets and is scoring at a pace that Roslovic never did. Looks like Appleton needed an opportunity too.

Reactions: RRenegade

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
10 points in 10 games is cool, but he has carried the play in the games of theirs I have watched.

Saw CBJ fans joking that it will end up Laine for a 3rd in the PLD/Roslovic swap and they could be right as goofy as it sounds. Really well done by Jarmo, it seems.

Laine has 6 goals with 9 points in 8 games...

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Also

Laine's value is higher than PLD

Laine is a way bigger name and has a had a better career than PLD so far.
Jets got fleeced only getting a 3rd pick in return. Terrible

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I never really thought of Roslovic as a throw-in. It was obvious that he did have some value and the Jackets paid him almost $2million, so I think they viewed him as at least a 3rd line option

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Every year there's a bunch of players that would look like night and day if put in a different situation and yet the hf hivemind never seems to catch up, even though Vegas just made a cup contender out of such players.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Wouldn't call it a a break-out season quite yet because he has had similar stretches before (until disappearing), but he is certainly on a good run and hopefully he can keep it up.

Columbus is in a very tough place when it comes to centers, if he doesn't turn out to be a long-term option.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
When the Golden Knights had one of the best teams in the league with a bunch of cap dumps and castoffs, it really did seem like we realized there's a whole lot of talent out there that maybe just isn't in the right system or isn't getting opportunities to succeed, and GMs could really improve their teams by finding those guys for cheap and putting them in the right spots. It's funny that lesson seems to have been totally forgotten, it was actually fairly embarrassing for the rest of the league how good Vegas was. Roslovic's success this year so far is reminding me of that.
Someone just watched Moneyball the other day it seems haha.

The guy has a lot of skill but I still see him better suited as a winger. He is absolutely awful on face offs. He may also be riding an initial surge of adrenalin with playing for his home town team. Lets give it more then 10 games I would say before announcing him the steal of the season .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad