Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So let's assume Elvis continues to play well as does Korpi when he returns. Both are RFA's making peanuts this year. Going to make Jarmo's life a bit more difficult come re-signing time.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So let's assume Elvis continues to play well as does Korpi when he returns. Both are RFA's making peanuts this year. Going to make Jarmo's life a bit more difficult come re-signing time.

What if Matiss Kivlenieks gets a couple of starts and looks really good?

My opinion, and it has been all season, is let’s let the season play out. This board has gone from loving all our young goalies to arguing who is better to deciding Korpisalo and Elvis both suck to deciding Korpisalo is better to loving all our young goalies. In a half a freaking season.

Let’s see what happens when other teams get some tape on the goalies, analyze their tendencies, and change how they attack. Will our guys be able to react?

Does anyone remember Steve Mason?

It is far too early to make any sort of determination of who is good and who is bad and worry about resigning anyone. We have been on a petty good run lately and both guys have played well. I am just enjoying it.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Tarasov's gonna be better than all of them...trade everyone but him for more assets ;)

Both are still RFAs after this season and no way we cannot afford to retain both and let the shared net continue for another season. Really need two NHL goalies in today's game considering how condensed the schedule has been. Plenty of teams are moving towards this model with a somewhat even split of games: Isles, Hawks, Pens, Rangers, Preds, Sens, etc.

Have not looked up this thread to see what's been written but would not be surprised to see Seattle sniff around one of these two guys come expansion draft time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
always with the silver lining

That's me. It could very well be a real issue. Going from a 2 mill combo to a 6mm or so is not a slam dunk. I just don't drink the kool-aid as much as many of the others. Also trying to stimulate some conversation.

Maybe the answer is to trade one of them. How's that for a discussion topic?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Have not looked up this thread to see what's been written but would not be surprised to see Seattle sniff around one of these two guys come expansion draft time.

I was assuming all are exempt. Which would raise an interesting scenario — would we have to sign a veteran goalie at the end of next year just to expose him to Seattle to protect all the young guys?

According to the rules we’ll need to make a goalie available:

* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Or would Kivlenieks count as someone we could expose since he’ll be getting some games on the west coast trip.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's me. It could very well be a real issue. Going from a 2 mill combo to a 6mm or so is not a slam dunk. I just don't drink the kool-aid as much as many of the others. Also trying to stimulate some conversation.

Maybe the answer is to trade one of them. How's that for a discussion topic?

If we're going to not drink the koolaid, maybe we're also going to pump the brakes on either of them being a breakout star that's going to hamstring the cap or require being traded.

Of course, all or none of that is a possibility in the future. Discuss away.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Portzline currently embarrassing himself on Twitter regarding Elvis’ no media policy. Someone take his phone away please
I think Portzy is an idiot but I don’t see anything embarrassing about his tweets this time. He’s giving his opinion on the situation which, as a journalist, is likely going to be different than a fans’. Again he’s a dipshit 99% of the time but I don’t see it this time.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Let Elvis and Korpi do their thing this year, see how the cards land and figure it out in the summer about what to do next year and beyond. There's already been too many early 'hot takes' on both of these guys in the first couple months of the season.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Since October 6th (first starts of Korpi and Elvis excluded):

-Korpisalo: .915 sv%
-Merzlikins: .917 sv%

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
31 games for Korpisalo, 10 for Elvis. You left that out. It would be fair if you said Korpi's last 10 games- .942 save%, Elivis' last 10 games- .917 save%.

I'm not sure what games played has to do with it - I was told Joonas gets better the more he plays. ;)

Since Christmas:
-Korpisalo: 2 games, .939 / 1.87
-Merzlikins: 2 games, .968 / 0.99

It's all mostly irrelevant. Elvis still has to show he can keep this up consistently. But, I think the last two months have shown that the defense has rounded into form. Given Bob's struggles in Florida and both goalies playing about league average this season, it's almost like the goaltending may be a product of the system. Not to the extent the Islanders do it, of course. This also ignores the many breakaways and prime chances Bobrovsky faced while with the Jackets, and there is evidence the team is doing a better job at shot suppression this season - by a startling amount, actually.

Maybe Torts will go 1a/1b a la the Stars or Islanders when Korpi comes back if Elvis continues playing like a starter?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I agree, if Elvis sustains this level of play, he will most likely get more games. Torts may be old school, but he's not stupid. Elvis' attitude when he signed last year and not wanting to help the organization by going to Cleveland, coupled with his shaky start to this season, played a big part of why he found himself not playing. Seeing VV playing well and coming along nicely, plus him sitting, I think he had no choice but to change his mindset. Now that he is getting his chance, you can see his improvement. Korpi should still be the #1 guy when he returns, but Torts won't be afraid to rest him and give Elvis more time.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I believe if Elvis continues to play well there should not be a clearly defined number one. You go 50/50 and ride the hot hand as appropriate.

I don’t think Korpisalo should be Wally Pipp but if you come back to me in February and Elvis is still riding a .93+ save percentage for the month of January I think Korpisalo will need to earn his way back into the lineup and let the chips fall where they may.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I believe if Elvis continues to play well there should not be a clearly defined number one. You go 50/50 and ride the hot hand as appropriate.

I don’t think Korpisalo should be Wally Pipp but if you come back to me in February and Elvis is still riding a .93+ save percentage for the month of January I think Korpisalo will need to earn his way back into the lineup and let the chips fall where they may.
What sucks is that the way this team scores, Elvis could have a 93% save percentage and still have a losing record. VV has a lack of support, 92+ save%, and a top 5 GAA and still has a losing record. These guys need to put the puck in the net.

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Played well again. Hope he can settle in like this when he not getting as much practice time. All the reps definitely helping him.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think all the people in Switzerland and Latvia were fairly convinced he was going to be the NHL starter down the road but to many goalies transitioning to the smaller ice, especially jumping straight into the NHL is tough. Someone like Samsonov had absolutely brutal first half of the season even in the AHL. So I believe this is the true Elvis you are seeing, he will go on to have Hiller-like career.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Shout-out to The Athletic's lead writers for declaring Merzlikins would have "rust" on their December 31st podcast. Shall we pull his sv % and GAA since then?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad