Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
....and back down to Cleveland he goes. It's the right move - learn to play the North American game in the AHL, not the NHL.
Cleveland plays tonight and tomorrow. No way this is a long term decision since they called up Kivleniks. he’ll be back up by the back to back this weekend.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Elvis has played six games in the NHL. And his SV% is pretty much where Korpi's was a week ago.

No, he's not going to win a Vezina this year or next. But can we all stop freaking out about what he's NOT? He's a rookie with six games' experience.

And all his starts have come on the road. I would think he could benefit from a start or two in the building he's most familiar with.

But yeah, he's fine. I don't know that too many people expected him to come in and be a .925 guy right away. The 75/25 start split with Korpi has been odd. From the outside, it seems like they have really botched his first few months in North America. The conspiracy theorists might say this is "payback" for his refusing to sign an AHL PTO last year and forcing the team to burn his ELC.

Reactions: lakai17

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
And all his starts have come on the road. I would think he could benefit from a start or two in the building he's most familiar with.

But yeah, he's fine. I don't know that too many people expected him to come in and be a .925 guy right away. The 75/25 start split with Korpi has been odd. From the outside, it seems like they have really botched his first few months in North America. The conspiracy theorists might say this is "payback" for his refusing to sign an AHL PTO last year and forcing the team to burn his ELC.
I honestly felt like it was going to be a more open competition early on for who would be the guy instead of just handing it to Korpisalo because he’s been here longer. Not that Korpisalo has been bad in his opportunity but Torts made a mistake throwing Elvis to the wolves against Pittsburgh on the road for his first start. Once the entire team sh*t the bed in that game it seems like Torts got scared and decided to fall back to Korpisalo because that is who he was comfortable with.

Every goalie has bad games and Elvis will certainly get even more comfortable with more playing time. I think he’s looked decent more often than not in his limited experience so far.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
BTW, I think Elvis should start at home against Pittsburgh and give Korpisalo the start against the Islanders Saturday since the Isles are the bigger matchup with the tear they’ve been on. Give Elvis a home start against a beatable penguins team without Crosby to give a chance to give some more confidence.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Elvis has played six games in the NHL. And his SV% is pretty much where Korpi's was a week ago.

No, he's not going to win a Vezina this year or next. But can we all stop freaking out about what he's NOT? He's a rookie with six games' experience.

We would all be singing a different tune if that shot didn't hit Savard and bounce right to the other team for a goal.

I applaud his audacity.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I honestly felt like it was going to be a more open competition early on for who would be the guy instead of just handing it to Korpisalo because he’s been here longer. Not that Korpisalo has been bad in his opportunity but Torts made a mistake throwing Elvis to the wolves against Pittsburgh on the road for his first start. Once the entire team sh*t the bed in that game it seems like Torts got scared and decided to fall back to Korpisalo because that is who he was comfortable with.

Every goalie has bad games and Elvis will certainly get even more comfortable with more playing time. I think he’s looked decent more often than not in his limited experience so far.

Wait, what?? Is this gonna be the attempted narrative, because I will not allow it. People (Merzlikins defenders) blame the team, but go back and look at the goals scored in the Pitt game. Most of them are not much different than most of the other goals that have gone past Merzlikins. Much too easy.

Korpisalo has SIGNIFICANTLY outplayed Merzlikins and some of the most extreme things I've said about each guy seem to be actually true.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wait, what?? Is this gonna be the attempted narrative, because I will not allow it. People (Merzlikins defenders) blame the team, but go back and look at the goals scored in the Pitt game. Most of them are not much different than most of the other goals that have gone past Merzlikins. Much too easy.

Korpisalo has SIGNIFICANTLY outplayed Merzlikins and some of the most extreme things I've said about each guy seem to be actually true.
I didn't know I needed your permission. Yes the Pittsburgh game was bad for EVERYONE. Elvis included. Then he played decently considering the team in front of him. Then he was shaky again against Winnipeg.

I stand by what I said. We were fed a narrative by media or otherwise that there would be a competition. Elvis gets thrown to the wolves against a team that owns the CBJ. Has a decent start and then the wheels fell off. Torts then turtled and went into riding Korpisalo mode. Maybe Torts considered Korpisalo the start all along this summer but that information was never reported in the offseason or preseason.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It’s all about the opportunities now. My biggest complaint has been that Elvis never had a chance to get any sort of rhythm going. He’ll certainly be getting that opportunity now.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Really wish we'd call up VV over Matiss. I think VV has a better chance as a backup to Elvis than Matiss, but then again, I don't watch every Monsters game.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It’s all about the opportunities now. My biggest complaint has been that Elvis never had a chance to get any sort of rhythm going. He’ll certainly be getting that opportunity now.

Same complaints were shot down for YEARS involving Korpisalo. The point is that Korpisalo has been a better goalie than he has gotten credit for and deserved MORE starts this year and years past. Much closer to Bob and much farther from Merzlikins than what a lot of people think.

Merzlikins is literally the same age and is literally a MUCH worse goalie. For whatever reasons, I don't really care, he's nowhere near Korpisalo's level. I was trashed not even 2 months ago for saying that, and its absolutely TRUE.

The season is essentially now over with Korpisalo out. AKA its essentially over with Merzlikins as the starter. But the continued "whole CBJ team sucks"....will now hit hyperdrive....whoopeee.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think they give him a week and a half to two weeks to see if he's up to snuff, if he isn't then Vivi gets to try. But calling up Kiv is good as it provides Vivi some uninterrupted playing time, which he wouldn't get here behind Elvis.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Same complaints were shot down for YEARS involving Korpisalo. The point is that Korpisalo has been a better goalie than he has gotten credit for and deserved MORE starts this year and years past. Much closer to Bob and much farther from Merzlikins than what a lot of people think.

Merzlikins is literally the same age and is literally a MUCH worse goalie. For whatever reasons, I don't really care, he's nowhere near Korpisalo's level. I was trashed not even 2 months ago for saying that, and its absolutely TRUE.

The season is essentially now over with Korpisalo out. AKA its essentially over with Merzlikins as the starter. But the continued "whole CBJ team sucks"....will now hit hyperdrive....whoopeee.

The 2014 Jackets survived for weeks with Curits McElhinney, Jeremy Smith, and Mike McKenna is its goalies for a few weeks. I'm not saying we'll survive this since we have an extreme injury issue elsewhere, but we'll see what they're made of.

jacketsnation

Jul 25, 2017
Shouldn't vv get his chance to play in nhl? Top 5 goalie in ahl at the moment on a horrible monster team!! Kiv avg at best! Dont understand the nhl talent evaluations! Elvis looks so shaky in net right now. Not saying he doesn't have the talent but his confidence is not there right now. You can see it every game! Vv has been lights out and has better credentials than elvis at the moment.

Tim Thomas took years to get his chance. binnington was the better option for years and could have won stl the cup earlier in my opinion.

Just odd how such talent gets left in minors

Thoughts?

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->