News Article: The Edmonton Rush moving to Saskatoon

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
his agent appiled for a trademark on it to prevent people from making johnny hockey apparel and making money off his name without his consent. just an agent doing his job. too bad the oilers dont have anyone doing their jobs.

Essentially that's why the Oilers did it. Would you really want some average guy getting the trademark and not allowing the Oilers-Flames, Stamps-Esks to use it?

It's just too bad that the Oilers were ****** about it to another local team. Wonder if there is more to the story, like the Oilers wanting the Rush and now Katz is flexing muscle.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Essentially that's why the Oilers did it. Would you really want some average guy getting the trademark and not allowing the Oilers-Flames, Stamps-Esks to use it?

It's just too bad that the Oilers were ****** about it to another local team. Wonder if there is more to the story, like the Oilers wanting the Rush and now Katz is flexing muscle.

I already linked in the previous page that it was EIG, not Katz, that applied for, and obtained the TM.

So other than invoking it this is nothing new.

Given that its even cited that the Oilers have made the Eskimos ask for permission to use the name the Oilers have actually been reminding teams of this probably on a regular basis.

But due to investigative journalism in this city being what it is the news comes out a dozen years after the fact..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I already linked in the previous page that it was EIG, not Katz, that applied for, and obtained the TM.

Does it really matter who applied for it? Katz is the one using it and it could be for his advantage.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Given that its even cited that the Oilers have made the Eskimos ask for permission to use the name the Oilers have actually been reminding teams of this probably on a regular basis.

But due to investigative journalism in this city being what it is the news comes out a dozen years after the fact..

Ah okay, so really a no story like usual?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Does it really matter who applied for it? Katz is the one using it and it could be for his advantage.

Again the Oilers have used this on an ongoing basis with the eskimos who have been required to ask for permission to use the Battle of Alberta.

This is nothing new, and it was the EIG that set this in motion.

Seems odd to blame Katz for something EIG did.

This is only news now because local investigative journalism is incompetent and because Bruce Urban outed it which the Esks could have and imo should've done.

But then the Esks imo should have spent the 1K it takes to not be beholding to the Oilers for such general use rights.

edit. you already got it.. Its a strange saga in anycase though isn't it?

Also seems as if the EIG were immune to criticism in this city. Rightfully they should have been nailed on this issue a dozen years ago. Never happened.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I will have to educate myself better re copyrighting terms because allowing entities to totally control fairly common terms seems pretty ridiculous if you ask me. The term in question is so generic and so useable by any of a number of entities that it should not be under the control of one team.

In any case, just the Oilers sports empire being themselves. People seem to ignore the fact that they are massively cut throat in almost anything they do.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Again the Oilers have used this on an ongoing basis with the eskimos who have been required to ask for permission to use the Battle of Alberta.

This is nothing new, and it was the EIG that set this in motion.

Seems odd to blame Katz for something EIG did.

This is only news now because local investigative journalism is incompetent and because Bruce Urban outed it which the Esks could have and imo should've done.

But then the Esks imo should have spent the 1K it takes to not be beholding to the Oilers for such general use rights.

edit. you already got it.. Its a strange saga in anycase though isn't it?

Also seems as if the EIG were immune to criticism in this city. Rightfully they should have been nailed on this issue a dozen years ago. Never happened.

The only reason I would blame Katz if I were to blame him is because he's the one enforcing it.

Then again it wouldn't shock me if EIG enforced this all the time and we just never heard of it as they were the saviour to the city.

oiLowe

Jan 14, 2009
Calgree
As if they have the right to use Battle of Alberta exclusively...because it's been anything but a battle in the last 5 years.

This organization gets sillier by the second. Getting really sick and tired of it tbh.

This!

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
as if the BOA is even relevant anymore Oilers. Its more like the Edmonton ass kicking by Calgary. What a joke this team has become. Hey Oiler management, lets focus on more important things, no?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The Battle of Alberta:

tienanmentank-395.jpg

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton

Just because the Oilers trademarked something in 2002 doesn't mean they have to enforce it by sending lawyers onto the Rush for using it. Like you said, it wasn't Katz who did trademarked it, so it would also be his right to not give a crap if the Rush use it without permission.

What's funny is I bet this was originally trademarked to stick it to Calgary and make them ask permission to use that phrase down there, but leave it to Katz' crew to enforce it on his own city's team.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I too wonder if there's something else behind it. Katz doesn't seem to be bothered by the state of his pathetic hockey team but he sure does seem to get upset by the idea of somebody else making a dollar in this city that he isn't a part of. A truly despicable man and it turns my stomach just to think about him.

It was one thing for him to want to put Northlands out of business. Northlands has a lot going on that he could get his greasy little hands on. Many people in this city have had a negative experience with them at some point in their lives so to many the idea was probably funny. Hard to understand why he'd feel the need to go after a guy like Bruce Urban though. The guy is no threat to him unless it's as simple as he wants every nickel of the entertainment industry, product be damned.

Getting harder and harder not to see him as the worst thing that's ever happened to the City of Edmonton.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just because the Oilers trademarked something in 2002 doesn't mean they have to enforce it by sending lawyers onto the Rush for using it. Like you said, it wasn't Katz who did trademarked it, so it would also be his right to not give a crap if the Rush use it without permission.

What's funny is I bet this was originally trademarked to stick it to Calgary and make them ask permission to use that phrase down there, but leave it to Katz' crew to enforce it on his own city's team.

haha.

I thought about the Calgary angle as well. Namely because it riles up the Calgary fanbase even more than this one. Calgary Puck is going ballistic with this lol.

That almost makes it worth it. But what you state may be how things originally went down as more of a in Calgarys face gesture. It is really odd that the Flames would need permission from the Oilers to call the games the same thing that we call them. Understand as well that the Oilers also have rights to any merchandise so inscribed. :laugh:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Embarrassing. Why does Katz insist on being so easy to hate?

Probably because he's blamed for everything whether he has much of anything to do with it or not. As this thread fully illustrates.

People jump to a conclusion first, and don't even worry about the details second. This thread is indication first and foremost that people just want to hate on Katz for any reason.

There would be several valid reasons.

ps not saying anything about the OP. That was just an open ended question.

People could respond to it however they want.

Last edited:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I will have to educate myself better re copyrighting terms because allowing entities to totally control fairly common terms seems pretty ridiculous if you ask me. The term in question is so generic and so useable by any of a number of entities that it should not be under the control of one team.

In any case, just the Oilers sports empire being themselves. People seem to ignore the fact that they are massively cut throat in almost anything they do.

Almost anything can be trademarked

Phrases, symbols, even simple things like colors(UPS has the color brown trademarked for instance)

blobloblaw

Nov 6, 2014
Earth
From my experience, when you register a trademark you generally have to specify it's use. For instance the Oilers can use 'Battle of Alberta' on t-shirts, stickers, or anything else that they specifically have the trademark for. The Esks, Rush, Oil Kings, Flames etc. could theoretically trademark it on items different than what the Oilers specifically trademark it on, but would usually have to give permission during the trademark process. If CIPO or USPTO (Canadian and US Trademark Offices) thought it was too similar on any of it's uses when it was applied for they would most likely disallow it wholly or on specific uses.

For the Rush, using the term in general or promoting it as an event it should be fine unless it's trademarked as an event of course. My guess is that the NHL would have the Winter Classic trademarked to prevent other companies from trying to make money on it, but it might be harder to trademark an somewhat regular occurrence such as Edmonton/Calgary hockey games.

Any term or phrase can have a TM behind it, but that usually means the phrase is being used by a company but not registered. When you apply to CIPO or USPTO any it get's approved, it gets you legal protection and you can use the R in a circle to tell users or imitators that it's registered and can face legal action.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seems cut and dried since it actually was trademarked. Still, it's hilarious any time the concept of the Battle of Alberta is used in the NHL, since there hasn't been any battle worth talking about at all for almost a decade.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I understand the position of the Oilers. They've trademarked the phrase for marketing purposes, and the Rush used it without permission. Seems fairly cut and dry in that regard.

However, why is it that this organization is allergic to good press? Seems like on top of being a joke of an organization on the ice, every once in a while something comes along that makes this organization just look so sleazy in how it runs its operations off the ice.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I understand the position of the Oilers. They've trademarked the phrase for marketing purposes, and the Rush used it without permission. Seems fairly cut and dry in that regard.

However, why is it that this organization is allergic to good press? Seems like on top of being a joke of an organization on the ice, every once in a while something comes along that makes this organization just look so sleazy in how it runs its operations off the ice.

"look sleazy"

We just get the tips of the icebergs.

This org has been bilking fans of its hard earned for decades and just got the city to front all the money for an arena for them.

This org has Laforge in a longterm PR capacity. (about as appropriate as Sammy Hagar delivering church sermons) It has K Lowe and MacT in eternal management.

I would say its somewhat amazing that this org manages to stay out of the limelight as much as it does albeit by that I mean absolute avoidance. Lowe and Laforge sightings are like Groundhog day. MacT draws short straw everytime to go do the nervous pressers because nobody else is willing anymore. Although that's probably wise.

But in short this org is sleazy, virtually everything about it stinks, and so its amazing the stench isn't always there.

fysloc

Dec 23, 2011
You can trade mark anything given context.

In this case, the context is that battle of alberta is to be linked to the hockey match.

An example was given on how trademarks can be given away for common words, and used Apple as an example.

Theres Apple, Apple Manufacturing, Apple Printing, Apple blah and so on, but they all trademarked the word "Apple". So you get 10 different companies owning the trademark on Apple, but it was permitted because it's all in context. Apple computers is not related to Apple Manufacturing and people will not confuse them easily.

If Honda made a car called Apple, Apple the computer company would have nothing on it because the average consumer will not confuse "Honda Apple" for "Apple Computers". However, if Samsung made a new laptop called Apple, then Apple Computers can flex their trademark muscles and go to court because they are now in the same industry and context which can mislead consumers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad