Player Discussion The Eberle Factor

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Last 9 games: 0 goals, 3 points, -6

Eberle is still stapled to McDavid's hip in practice again today whether he plays well or not - and it doesn't seem to matter how long he sucks. They moved Hall off his line when it didn't work, they moved Looch, but they won't move Eberle. What gives?

I think there could be a couple of reasons to look at.

1) It hasn't been long since they pulled Looch off of that line. They may want to see if Eberle-McDavid-Maroon develops chemistry, and that likely won't happen in a couple of games.

2) Lack of right wing depth. Unless they are pulling Drai over to the RW to play with McDavid, who else gets the spot? Pool Party needs more time to adjust before being given the pressure of top line winger. Kassian isn't a top line winger, and I would hate watching McDavid dragging around both Maroon and Kassian.

3) Despite his early season struggle, Eberle is still the teams best shooter in close. If you want someone with great hands with our elite #1C, Eberle is really our best option.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I would not do this on the road where you cannot control the matchups - but at home - I would give Slepyshev a run on McDavid's RW until JP is back. He's got all the right stuff: big, fast, excellent shot, good on the offensive boards. Defensively he's a rookie but Ebs is obviously no Pisani either. Before people say "he hasn't earned this" - what does earn have to do with anything? Putting combinations together that win is all that matters.

I think there could be a couple of reasons to look at.

1) It hasn't been long since they pulled Looch off of that line. They may want to see if Eberle-McDavid-Maroon develops chemistry, and that likely won't happen in a couple of games.

2) Lack of right wing depth. Unless they are pulling Drai over to the RW to play with McDavid, who else gets the spot? Pool Party needs more time to adjust before being given the pressure of top line winger. Kassian isn't a top line winger, and I would hate watching McDavid dragging around both Maroon and Kassian.

3) Despite his early season struggle, Eberle is still the teams best shooter in close. If you want someone with great hands with our elite #1C, Eberle is really our best option.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I would not do this on the road where you cannot control the matchups - but at home - I would give Slepyshev a run on McDavid's RW until JP is back. He's got all the right stuff: big, fast, excellent shot, good on the offensive boards. Defensively he's a rookie but Ebs is obviously no Pisani either. Before people say "he hasn't earned this" - what does earn have to do with anything? Putting combinations together that win is all that matters.

Slepyshev and JP are not in the same realm as Eberle right now, its not even close. You can post all the stats you want, the main one is his shooting percentage was under 9%, so when it all evens out back to 15-20%, he'll be just fine with scoring.

It appears things are looking much better with Maroon on that line.

If Eberle gets 30 this year, it will be just fine.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
15-20%?

No, Eberle will be happy to hit 14.5 like he did last year. He will probably never hit 18.9 like he did in 11-12 ever again.

But if Eberle gets 30 goals this year, it will be just fine.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
What happens if Ebs gets 29?

He should get traded or demoted to third/fourth line. :)
Eberle is not good enough to be playing with McDavid apparently, yet the last generational player has only one winger ( I believe) in the last 7 or 8 years that scored 30 once on his wing.

I am reading Oshie is the man to have, yet St Louis traded him because they couldn't get over the hump with him, and guess what, neither could Washington. Kunitz pops in 17 or 18 goals playing on Crosby's wing.

Its absolute horse hockey when people come on disparaging players because of one game or a 5 game stretch even though they have a history of a different reality. We shipped Petry because he sucked, then we traded Hall for someone who may be slightly better. 5 games ago the same people wanted to ship Nuge out, I hope they are reminded now that Nuge is super important and we would be toast without him this year.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
He should get traded or demoted to third/fourth line. :)
Eberle is not good enough to be playing with McDavid apparently, yet the last generational player has only one winger ( I believe) in the last 7 or 8 years that scored 30 once on his wing.

I am rating Oshie is tree man to have, yet St Louis traded him because they couldn't get over the hump with him, and guess what, neither could Washington. Kunitiz pops in 17 or 18 goals playing on Crosby's wing.

Its absolute horse hockey when people come on disparaging players because of one game or a 5 game stretch even though they have a history of a different reality. We shipped Petry because he sucked, then we traded Hall for someone who may be slightly better. 5 games ago the same people wanted to ship Nuge out, I hope they are reminded now that Nuge is super important and we would be toast without him this year.

Agreed. One other thing about Nuge and Ebs....they'll be very key when we get into the playoffs. Seen these type of players exceed when the **** hits the fan more often than not.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trade him. Get whatever for him. He's done. Brutal year for him and just cost us am important gane

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Trade him. Get whatever for him. He's done. Brutal year for him and just cost us am important gane

Overreaction for sure but I feel the same way. Not sure why people are riding Lucic. While he hasn't been great he also hasn't been Eberle bad.

That game winning goal against was 110% on Eberle and I don't know how ANYONE could make that mental mistake. He didn't need speed or strength just half a brain, and apparently that was asking too much.

His coverage has been unbelievably bad the last However many games. I totally jinxed him. I commented not too long as looking much improved this year to last two way.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eberle giveth and Eberle taketh away - problem is there is always more taketh away. Same as it ever was.

One day I hope all our kids realize that 15 minutes of hard work in the offensive zone can be erased instantly by 2 seconds of not giving a crap. I actually think Ebs has been trying harder in our end this year, so it's a bit encouraging, but obviously he's still not there yet to avoid stuff like what happened last night.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Eberle's the classic score 30, give up 40 kind of player. He'll dazzle you at times with pretty goals and slick moves, but at the end of the day, he usually gets owned in a head-to-head matchup with the other team's best players. Ever since 2012-2013 (lockout), my opinion of him has been consistently dropping. I don't see a player that I would describe as a winner.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
One day I hope all our kids realize that 15 minutes of hard work in the offensive zone can be erased instantly by 2 seconds of not giving a crap. I actually think Ebs has been trying harder in our end this year, so it's a bit encouraging, but obviously he's still not there yet to avoid stuff like what happened last night.

Agreed other than Eberle isnt a kid anymore.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Honestly in the right circumstances I would.
We need a top line right winger and a second/third line tweener right winger. Boom. I take it.

NJ would be stupid to do that. Severson is trending way up right now, plays a crucial position and is 4 years younger than Eberle. Plus, their team is rolling right now.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
You would think all the PTSD of seeing pucks end up in your net would be enough to make him stop gliding on the backcheck, at some point.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Wow Lowetide in full-on "cover Eberle's ass" mode on his blog this morning - slamming anyone with different opinions. I don't read that blog much anymore as it's gotten to be an echo chamber with anyone having different perspectives blocked out. Guess that's what happens when you go mainstream. Too bad - the guy did great work on this site in the early days and he brought a lot of attention to analytics - but it's way too authoritarian over there now for my taste.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad