Player Discussion The Eberle Factor

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
No real reason for this thread other than it is just the off season and it seems we haven't talked that much about Eberle.

The reason I think Eberle is going to be a huge key this year is essentially that he shoots right. Jesse P will be a great winger, and I think eventually stick with McDavid, but he hasn't even made the team yet. I got to think he gets 3rd line time if he does make it, he is just too young. Also Eberle is destine to be on the first unit power play, which should get him lots of points as well. Who knows come camp, but you got to think

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle

is a sure bet to be the first line. Any way, of all the guys on the oilers aside from McDavid, I have to think he bounces back and gets 70- maybe even 80 points.

thoughts.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Rather him on the 2nd line so that we can inflate a little value in Yak and balance our offense... or at least get some production out of Yak even if we can't find a trade partner.

Ebs will produce no matter which line he is on. Yak, not so much.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
No real reason for this thread other than it is just the off season and it seems we haven't talked that much about Eberle.

The reason I think Eberle is going to be a huge key this year is essentially that he shoots right. Jesse P will be a great winger, and I think eventually stick with McDavid, but he hasn't even made the team yet. I got to think he gets 3rd line time if he does make it, he is just too young. Also Eberle is destine to be on the first unit power play, which should get him lots of points as well. Who knows come camp, but you got to think

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle

is a sure bet to be the first line. Any way, of all the guys on the oilers aside from McDavid, I have to think he bounces back and gets 70- maybe even 80 points.

thoughts.

I think he's going to have a good year if he makes it through training camp. I think the injury last year set him back more than just the time lost. I also think his motivation and GAF-level will be at a new high with the changes this summer and the more McDavid, the more better.. could see some new PBs.

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He's going to get the points, but that's not the problem.

The problem is how bad defensively Ebs is at times. So many times he coasts or doesn't bother to back check which leads to goals. Here's to hoping if he plays on the top line with McDavid and Lucic that he will see how hard they work and put in the effort more.

He is going to be traded before season IMO...

He is pretty much the only Oiler left who thinks he can be the captain of the team ahead of McDavid. Others including Lucic and Talbot have accepted McDavid to be their leader despite the age and inexperience.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mclellan-oilers-will-captain-opening-night/

I think you watched a different interview because he never said anything like that or came close to even hinting at it. :huh:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I could see this being Eberle's best season goal scoring wise. He's going to get tons of opportunity as the best (RE: only talented) RH shot on the team.

Though even if he drops 35+ goals, he's likely still going to be trade bait.

If Eberle's not going to be your feature RW offensively, then his values going to fall, and I can see Pulju and even Slepyshev pushing for his spot soon.

Next off season could be a nice "sell high" moment with him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He is going to be traded before season IMO...

He is pretty much the only Oiler left who thinks he can be the captain of the team ahead of McDavid. Others including Lucic and Talbot have accepted McDavid to be their leader despite the age and inexperience.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mclellan-oilers-will-captain-opening-night/
Bet? You think the Oilers are trading their top goal scorer after moving their 2nd best in Hall and their RH shot which is the teams biggest lacking. Not a chance . Besides McDavid seems to love playing with him.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Ebs will be good this year. @ Draiskull, if you're referring to the quote (paraphrase) "whether it be him or me", your's is a bit questionable interpretation wise IMO. It's something I do occasionally as well, when talking about one of my peers that may be better or an equal to you. Sometimes even someone you are mentoring. I use it when there is a commonality to the context of the 2 people being used for comparisons sake.

Hell, for all I know maybe Eberle will be named Captain. He's been an A for a while, and he's mature. For all we know he's part of the glue that holds the locker room together. :dunno:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Hopefully he scores 40, so we can trade him for a player who isn't a lazy floater.

If Yak and JP can show they're ready by the end of next season, sayonara Ebs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
with a better defense behind him, and a better team in general, his shortcomings will be less apparent. If a guy like Gaudreau were on this team these years he would be been the most hated Oiler ever probably

Bangers

May 31, 2006
with a better defense behind him, and a better team in general, his shortcomings will be less apparent. If a guy like Gaudreau were on this team these years he would be been the most hated Oiler ever probably

Gaudreau looks like he actually gives a rat's ***.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Gaudreau looks like he actually gives a rat's ***.

Eberle definitely cares, and he does show it. We'll see that this year with more support around him. If you have more support then your objective is much clearer, especially if you're an offensive player. All our players have looked like they just don't care from time to time, except McDavid that is. Yak was really, really bad for that late last season, as was Hall.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Its amazing how many times I have read the word Yakupov so far in this thread.

Anyways has been consistently our 1st or 2nd best player on this team since he came into the league.

Hilarious people blame him for his defensive play, yet suggest Yak as a replacement? You guys ever watch that guy play defence? It's actually pretty hilarious.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think 30-35 is very reasonable expectation if he is playing on McDavids line most the year and healthy.

Going over the top optimistic potting 40-50 is entirely possible. I thought Ebs was not even remotely his best last year, pretty much a terrible season for him IMO, but still scoring strong with McD.

He ramps it up a notch and the sky is the limit.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm guessing closer to 35 than 40. McDavid will be the bes goal-scoring center Eberle has played with as well. It's not like McDavid is going to always just pass to Ebs, he'll be scoring a lot of goals himself.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Eberle definitely cares, and he does show it. We'll see that this year with more support around him. If you have more support then your objective is much clearer, especially if you're an offensive player. All our players have looked like they just don't care from time to time, except McDavid that is. Yak was really, really bad for that late last season, as was Hall.

I'd love to read an article about how Eberle has devoted himself to fitness and is working with Gary Roberts all offseason to add 15lbs of muscle... Why don't I ever read articles like this? I wouldn't be shocked if Eberle scored some goals, but he'll still be an incomplete player until he devotes himself to Improving.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd love to read an article about how Eberle has devoted himself to fitness and is working with Gary Roberts all offseason to add 15lbs of muscle... Why don't I ever read articles like this? I wouldn't be shocked if Eberle scored some goals, but he'll still be an incomplete player until he devotes himself to Improving.

there was an article posted on these boards about Eberle working with a shooting coach this summer to work on his one-timers. I'm sure he does some kind of training every summer. I don't think he should necessarily add muscle either. A lot of the best offensive players in the league are very lean. I know it's been bad how soft we've been over the years, but we've been adding a lot of big tough guys like Maroon, Kassian, Lucic, and even Puljujarvi and Draisaitl. We can keep a few soft skilled players around, and it's probably a good idea to do so.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Eberle is a better player than Yakupov. I can say that quite easily.

However, for the sake of team balance, I'd start Yakupov with McDavid and Eberle with Nuge. While Ebs is a better overall player than Yak, both have demonstrated roughly the same amount of production with McDavid (either because chemistry is hard to predict or because McDavid is THAT good), whereas Eberle would be able to feast on second pairing opposition playing on a lower line.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hopefully he scores 40, so we can trade him for a player who isn't a lazy floater.

If Yak and JP can show they're ready by the end of next season, sayonara Ebs.

I'll take a lazy floater that scores 40 goals on my team any day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad