Post-Game Talk: The Dwyer/Meier Comedy Revue

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Weird that he didn't even skate in warm ups. Weird that Johnston said flat out he would play this weekend and he didn't. Just plain weird.

I completely get why you would sit him (especially him) if he was on the block. I get why you would sit him if he wasn't playing the way you wanted him too. But this seems like some weird convergence of the two.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I'm pretty sure he's still waiver exempt, I think he was assigned to WBS after his preseason knee injury for a few games. Either way he shouldn't be missing many games now, he's missed so much time due to injury that it's moronic. One game I get, it's ignoring the bigger problems but I get it, this isn't one game.

Bennett became waiver eligible when he hit 81 games (he's currently at 85; regular season AND playoffs count towards waiver status). So sending him to AHL is not an option anymore (outside of conditioning assignment).

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Weird that he didn't even skate in warm ups. Weird that Johnston said flat out he would play this weekend and he didn't. Just plain weird.

I completely get why you would sit him (especially him) if he was on the block. I get why you would sit him if he wasn't playing the way you wanted him too. But this seems like some weird convergence of the two.
That´s not really weird. If you would listen some MJ´s interviews lately, you would know that he plain out lies a lot of times. He´s a liar, that´s a fact, not really a weird fact but a fact.

He did the same thing with Harrington earlier in the year when he was telling us how he´s gonna play and he didn´t for a two months. He did the same with Farnham telling us how great he plays, how important is to draw a penalty every game and then he benched him the next game (and sent him to the WBS). THe thing with Bennett is the same but it´s even worse because he lies (and screws) about an important young player (who´s obviously NHL ready).

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Honestly it's not weird he didnt play against vancouver. At the time I doubt johnston was planning on beating calgary 4-0 and look dominate in the process. Hard to make a lineup change after that game.

That said, unless there's something we dont know about which is a decent possibility; not playing beau bennett is ****ing stupid. Most of the gripes against johnston are unfounded and need to give him time, but this is bull ****.

Michael8771*

Honestly it's not weird he didnt play against vancouver. At the time I doubt johnston was planning on beating calgary 4-0 and look dominate in the process. Hard to make a lineup change after that game.

That said, unless there's something we dont know about which is a decent possibility; not playing beau bennett is ****ing stupid. Most of the gripes against johnston are unfounded and need to give him time, but this is bull ****.
Such as?

Michael8771*

That´s not really weird. If you would listen some MJ´s interviews lately, you would know that he plain out lies a lot of times. He´s a liar, that´s a fact, not really a weird fact but a fact.

He did the same thing with Harrington earlier in the year when he was telling us how he´s gonna play and he didn´t for a two months. He did the same with Farnham telling us how great he plays, how important is to draw a penalty every game and then he benched him the next game (and sent him to the WBS). THe thing with Bennett is the same but it´s even worse because he lies (and screws) about an important young player (who´s obviously NHL ready).
Maybe I'm just hoping on the matter, but didn't that guy who came in here suggest a possible BB and Harrington plus mid rounder for Kane deal? He said this before the road trip I believe. Now, I'm not holding my breath but the way these two are being managed it would make sense. Otherwise none of this makes a lot of sense.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

I think he had every intention of both playing Harrington and Bennett but just ended up not doing so. The reason on Bennett is what's weird to me. If he isn't playing the way you want and are having him do battle drills in practice, ok that doesn't bother me. But how can you tell if its paying off unless you get him back in the lineup. Its not as if there isn't an obvious spot for him to slot into (especially with Comeau still out)

I couldn't care less about Farnham, that's not lying. That sending down a borderline (at best player). Sill aint no better. But 6 of one half dozen of another.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Maybe I'm just hoping on the matter, but didn't that guy who came in here suggest a possible BB and Harrington plus mid rounder for Kane deal? He said this before the road trip I believe. Now, I'm not holding my breath but the way these two are being managed it would make sense. Otherwise none of this makes a lot of sense.
I don´t really know anymore. I´m just accepting the fact that Mike Johnston is an idiot who lies about young players every second time and I´m not listening his interviews anymore. His words hold no weight to me.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
I think he had every intention of both playing Harrington and Bennett but just ended up not doing so. The reason on Bennett is what's weird to me. If he isn't playing the way you want and are having him do battle drills in practice, ok that doesn't bother me. But how can you tell if its paying off unless you get him back in the lineup. Its not as if there isn't an obvious spot for him to slot into (especially with Comeau still out)

I couldn't care less about Farnham, that's not lying. That sending down a borderline (at best player). Sill aint no better. But 6 of one half dozen of another.
It surely was lying with Farnham, especially when we weren´t able to draw penalties at all at that time. He played Ebbett and Rust instead of him, not only Sill. I don´t really care about Farnham though, but it´s just another piece to the puzzle that tells you the truth about Mike Johnston.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It surely was lying with Farnham, especially when we weren´t able to draw penalties at all at that time. He played Ebbett and Rust instead of him, not only Sill. I don´t really care about Farnham though, but it´s just another piece to the puzzle that tells you the truth about Mike Johnston.

That's still not lying, it might not be the right call but saying drawing penalties is important then demoting Farnham isn't lying.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is so weird w/ Beau. I don't know what to believe. It would almost be believable if Beau was hurt but didn't want people to know so him and MJ talked and they decided they could bench him to hide the issue. :laugh: If that odd scenario is the case - then kudos.

It just makes ZERO sense for one guy to be treated a way that nobody else was treated all year. Zero sense what-so-ever. There has to be something out there we do not know. Whether it was a 1 on 1 meeting where Beau got snippy, a trade, an injury, something. I have never seen it where one player was treated so differently than the others. Especially right after MJ talked about how good Beau has been playing.

It seems.... fishy.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That's still not lying, it might not be the right call but saying drawing penalties is important then demoting Farnham isn't lying.
It was like "Bobby Farnham is playing really well for us, has a great attitude and I really like how he´s drawing the penalties for us because we struggle in that regard." Then boom, he´s benched a few hours after that quote. His lies about Harry & Bennett were more "straight-forward" but telling this about Farnham and then benching him is very unfair (and weird) as well. It must frustrate the players so much. They are expecting playing time after the quotes like these and then BOOOM, healthy-scratch again and again. That´s why Johnston´s quotes are pretty much meaningless to me, it´s better to just ignore what he´s saying.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It was like "Bobby Farnham is playing really well for us, has a great attitude and I really like how he´s drawing the penalties for us because we struggle in that regard." Then boom, he´s benched a few hours after that quote. His lies about Harry & Bennett were more "straight-forward" but telling this about Farnham and then benching him is very unfair (and weird) as well. It must frustrate the players so much. They are expecting playing time after the quotes like these and then BOOOM, healthy-scratch again and again. That´s why Johnston´s quotes are pretty much meaningless to me, it´s better to just ignore what he´s saying.

Personally I don't listen to what any coach says (at least not to be taken too seriously), but that is far, FAR from lying. Highlighting a players strengths while scratching him isn't anything to even pay notice to.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Personally I don't listen to what any coach says (at least not to be taken too seriously), but that is far, FAR from lying. Highlighting a players strengths while scratching him isn't anything to even pay notice to.
We can agree to disagree here, I personally don´t like this type of acting but whatever. What´s the purpose of highlighting a single player (even after the bad game from the rest of the team, because that´s what happened with Farnham) and then benching him the next game?? That must be really frustrating but anyways, he definitely IS lying with Bennett now, he was lying about him before (saying how much we need him and how important his creativity is for us) and he was lying about Harrington at least 3 times (like he´s gonna get playing time on this trip, on that trip etc..).

I also hate MJ´s reasoning that this is what Bennett needs. The kid desperately needs to play hockey when he´s healthy, he was waiting for being healthy like forever and then MJ comes and does this. Sorry but this is not defendable, it´s a huge BS.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
This is so weird w/ Beau. I don't know what to believe. It would almost be believable if Beau was hurt but didn't want people to know so him and MJ talked and they decided they could bench him to hide the issue. :laugh: If that odd scenario is the case - then kudos.

It just makes ZERO sense for one guy to be treated a way that nobody else was treated all year. Zero sense what-so-ever. There has to be something out there we do not know. Whether it was a 1 on 1 meeting where Beau got snippy, a trade, an injury, something. I have never seen it where one player was treated so differently than the others. Especially right after MJ talked about how good Beau has been playing.

It seems.... fishy.

The end result is lying to your customers/fans. Not sure that is ever good business practice.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Also, it´s NOT ONLY Farnham, Harrington and Bennett when it comes to MJ´s quotes. He is apparently saying all of the right things but the product on the ice and his in-game decisions are FAR AWAY from that.

Then again, it´s one thing to LIE and it´s another thing to make a TERRIBLE LINEUP DECISION. When making the terrible lineup decision is connected with lying then we have a legitimate reason to criticize this coach (even hate him, I would say).

Michael8771*

Also, it´s NOT ONLY Farnham, Harrington and Bennett when it comes to MJ´s quotes. He is apparently saying all of the right things but the product on the ice and his in-game decisions are FAR AWAY from that.

Then again, it´s one thing to LIE and it´s another thing to make a TERRIBLE LINEUP DECISION. When making the terrible lineup decision is connected with lying then we have a legitimate reason to criticize this coach (even hate him, I would say).
He does lie and he also makes inane personnel decisions on a nightly basis. He's the Craig Adams of the coaching world.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bennett became waiver eligible when he hit 81 games (he's currently at 85; regular season AND playoffs count towards waiver status). So sending him to AHL is not an option anymore (outside of conditioning assignment).

Oh, thanks. Congrats to Bennett for reaching that many games.

Michael8771*

The end result is lying to your customers/fans. Not sure that is ever good business practice.
No, it isn't and it's been going on for quite some time. Which is why when I attend games I won't give this team any of my money, hunney!!! I'll go, sit in one of the suites with some business acquaintances and friends, get some free food, and laugh at this organization. I didn't always feel that way, but over the last couple of years, it became inevitable.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I don't hate MJ. Didn't hate DB either.

It's just hockey after all.

MJ did absolutely lie about BB and I have no idea what's going on there, but he has to be more mindful of speaking in absolutes. He should have said "we will try to get BB into the lineup on this trip" or "we hope to get him back in the lineup on this trip". Even a beat guy like Mackey is now making a subtle call out for him lying and how bizarre this has gotten.

Again, I said this in Sept, but just because he isn't DB, doesn't mean he will do things the opposite of DB or be a better coach. Since the start of the season, I personally have not given him the benefit of the doubt, simply because he isn't DB. That is a skewered perspective.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is superior to DB, but I'm not jumping on this emerging "fire MJ" train either. I'll see how he deals with the roster and how he coaches through the playoffs, then make up my mind.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't hate MJ. Didn't hate DB either.

It's just hockey after all.

MJ did absolutely lie about BB and I have no idea what's going on there, but he has to be more mindful of speaking in absolutes. He should have said "we will try to get BB into the lineup on this trip" or "we hope to get him back in the lineup on this trip". Even a beat guy like Mackey is now making a subtle call out for him lying and how bizarre this has gotten.

Again, I said this in Sept, but just because he isn't DB, doesn't mean he will do things the opposite of DB or be a better coach. Since the start of the season, I personally have not given him the benefit of the doubt, simply because he isn't DB. That is a skewered perspective.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he is superior to DB, but I'm not jumping on this emerging "fire MJ" train either. I'll see how he deals with the roster and how he coaches through the playoffs, then make up my mind.

Even "the plan is to get him back in on this trip" would work.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio

It seems.... fishy.

It really does seem fishy to me as well. So many others could be treated the same way for poor play. Makes me wonder about what you say about attitude or a hidden injury. Nothing else makes much sense but MJ has certainly gone down in my eyes on the expectations of what I thought he would bring to the Pens.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
No, it isn't and it's been going on for quite some time. Which is why when I attend games I won't give this team any of my money, hunney!!! I'll go, sit in one of the suites with some business acquaintances and friends, get some free food, and laugh at this organization. I didn't always feel that way, but over the last couple of years, it became inevitable.

Spoken like a true fan.

L1iiM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad