TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What is his proper position? He played wing his last year OHL and had looked more comfortable LW in the NHL.

I'd love for him to become a #1 NHL center, but his tools don't appear to fit that, so I prefer not trying the square peg in round hole thing.

Ideally they have to add another top 6 forward but they don't grow on trees. Desharnais isn't chopped liver, Pacioretty has put up almost 40 goals a year with him.

Pacioretty also did same in the short period of time without him.

Top 6 forwards don't grow on trees, you need to develop them or find ways to acquire them from other teams. Just like how you need to develop #1 NHL centers or pay big price to get one from another team. Please provide a viable alternative for getting a long term #1C outside of developing Galchenyuk into one?

You are willing to give up on Galchenyuk at C since 'his tools don't appear to fit' when the player himself thinks he's a C, he produced decent without any quality wingers as a C, already pretty decent at faceoffs all in his first fulltime C gig in NHL. I am intrigued to see your answer since IMO every other option much more unrealistic. It's much more easier to find top 6 wingers than a top 6 center.

Real top 6 centers would require a huge return barring them having a major flaw such as nearing end of career/cap. Gomez is an example of MTL overpaying due to their lack of ability to develop top 6 centers and Gainey/Gauthier needing one desperately. If DD was a legit top 6 center, Habs could have flipped him for a legit top 6 winger easily. Alas he is likely just highly overrated by Habs.

Last edited:

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
...how about play him with skill instead of grinders...or play him in his proper position instead of a lesser talent that is also not nearly as important to the team going forward...you know, what most head coaches would do with a blossoming talent...

Just curious, which skill players on this team would you play him with. Can you set forth your Top 6?
I want MT fired but what does he really have to work with?

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I wonder if the Bolts would do a deal to save some crap and the Habs take on some risk

Emelin
Scherbak
2nd round pick'16(MIN)

Drouin
Carle - 500k retained to bring his salary to 5mill, Habs then only have 900k difference between Emelin and his salary.

Carle is usually good for 25-35pts. He doesn't have any points this year which is oddly strange. I think he is still a solid choic for a #4 dman and could be placed there and has a bit more offensive touch than Emelin.

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher
Drouin Galchenyuk Eller
Fleischmann Desharnais Weise
Byron Mitchell Flynn
Smith-Pelly

Beaulieu Subban
Carle Petry
Markov Gilbert
Barberio Pateryn

I find that there could be real potential for offence from all 3 D pairings and Drouin could be a threat with Galchenyuk.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
In regards to Galchenyuk at centre, that is actually one of the reasons I'd be really happy with Drouin, because he'd be able to feed Alex the puck. I think Galchenyuk has developed into a player who looks to shoot as much as he looks to pass, I don't see why that really limits his potential as a centre. But I think if he played with a competent winger for an extended period of time, you would see him move the puck more effectively; Eller for example plays rather poorly without the puck and is rarely in good position for a pass.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Drouin is not coming to Montreal. Haven't you folks listened to Bergevin's "nothing" press conference. He's not doing any big trades any time soon, he's just incapable of doing so...

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I wonder if the Bolts would do a deal to save some crap and the Habs take on some risk

Emelin
Scherbak
2nd round pick'16(MIN)

Drouin
Carle - 500k retained to bring his salary to 5mill, Habs then only have 900k difference between Emelin and his salary.

Carle is usually good for 25-35pts. He doesn't have any points this year which is oddly strange. I think he is still a solid choic for a #4 dman and could be placed there and has a bit more offensive touch than Emelin.

Pacioretty Plekanec Gallagher
Drouin Galchenyuk Eller
Fleischmann Desharnais Weise
Byron Mitchell Flynn
Smith-Pelly

Beaulieu Subban
Carle Petry
Markov Gilbert
Barberio Pateryn

I find that there could be real potential for offence from all 3 D pairings and Drouin could be a threat with Galchenyuk.

Why do you think Carle will bounce back? He is on the decline of his career. There is no renaissance for players for players who show signs of decline. It will stay indefinitely. The current Matt Carle is the Matt Carle we will get. And a zero point defenseman is not worth 5 million.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
In regards to Galchenyuk at centre, that is actually one of the reasons I'd be really happy with Drouin, because he'd be able to feed Alex the puck. I think Galchenyuk has developed into a player who looks to shoot as much as he looks to pass, I don't see why that really limits his potential as a centre. But I think if he played with a competent winger for an extended period of time, you would see him move the puck more effectively; Eller for example plays rather poorly without the puck and is rarely in good position for a pass.

As long as club continues to generate major profits I doubt any major moves

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
Drouin is not coming to Montreal. Haven't you folks listened to Bergevin's "nothing" press conference. He's not doing any big trades any time soon, he's just incapable of doing so...

That's just managing expectations IMO.

mrcontractor*

Surprised this wasn't mentioned, and take it with a grain of salt, but Reway had a picture of him and Drouin on his Instagram last night saying he heard rumours he was maybe involved in a trade. Saw this on Twitter as well.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Why so much? If anything at this point the price should be going DOWN. Significantly

First, this isn't a lot for Drouin.

Second, if anything, his price is going up, not down. Yzerman doesn't need Drouin right now, he's not playing and they're winning... also, if you read anything about the situation, it's to the Lightning benefit that Drouin is being suspended. If it last long, they could actually gain a year of ELC...

Thrid, waiting for the price to go down is using MB's tactics (look how dumb it is)... we aren't looking for a bargain, we are looking to improve the team and get the guy...

Delat

Oct 9, 2006
Surprised this wasn't mentioned, and take it with a grain of salt, but Reway had a picture of him and Drouin on his Instagram last night saying he heard rumours he was maybe involved in a trade. Saw this on Twitter as well.

Reway is just special. I think it's more him trolling/acting without thinking rather than anything serious. But yeah, it's weird.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014

dude, where? i just look'd up everything and there's no mention of any of that on twitter or his instagram.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Beaulieu for Drouin is realistic and fair value considering everything that has gone on. If Tampa doesn't want defense (which I think they do) then you look at one of the A prospects and a 2nd.

The 2nd will be replaced by moves at the deadline when he's selling off (hopefully not just hopeful wishing). The forward corps will won't be all that great this year, but retooling for next year could be good.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Drouin-Plekanec-XX

Or you could put Drouin at 3C if you project him better at that position. Work him up that way, but obviously you have to move Eller and Desharnais at some point before next season to open up the spot for him. This would also require a new coach.

OR hehe

Montreal wins 3rd pick in the lottery, takes Patrik Laine and goes into next season with this 2nd line (would also require a new coach).

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Laine

/drool

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
Beaulieu for Drouin is realistic and fair value considering everything that has gone on. If Tampa doesn't want defense (which I think they do) then you look at one of the A prospects and a 2nd.

The 2nd will be replaced by moves at the deadline when he's selling off (hopefully not just hopeful wishing). The forward corps will won't be all that great this year, but retooling for next year could be good.

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Drouin-Plekanec-XX

Or you could put Drouin at 3C if you project him better at that position. Work him up that way, but obviously you have to move Eller and Desharnais at some point before next season to open up the spot for him. This would also require a new coach.

OR hehe

Montreal wins 3rd pick in the lottery, takes Patrik Laine and goes into next season with this 2nd line (would also require a new coach).

Drouin-Galchenyuk-Laine

/drool

Drouin was putrid defensively at centre in Jr. He's a much much better winger, he focusses his talents better there. he can dangle in a tight space and create offence....just look up "the shift". I was at the game with my son that night and was in awe at his talent.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I bet that everyone will be surprise at how low Drouin value will be when traded.

Beaulieu value is also really underrated here, damn.

No one is going to give up a Aprospect + 1st pick calm your ******* boys

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Drouin was putrid defensively at centre in Jr. He's a much much better winger, he focusses his talents better there. he can dangle in a tight space and create offence....just look up "the shift". I was at the game with my son that night and was in awe at his talent.

I'm not denying that. I was only saying that there could be a possibility that if the Montreal Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin, they could see him as a centre. That would require development and playing time at the position. That's why I mentioned it.

Once again though, this would be dependent on a new coach. I just can't see Therrien giving this kid what he needs to succeed. He'd be on the 4th line as a winger, and then in the pressbox if he scores a couple goals. But, with a good developmental coach, he would be the 3C and getting lay up minutes to help him find his groove at the the pro level. Honestly, you can teach defense so I don't think there's an issue there. What he brings offensively is something you can't though, that's natural given talent that might be best fit in the middle of the ice. Who knows though.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I bet that everyone will be surprise at how low Drouin value will be when traded.

Beaulieu value is also really underrated here, damn.

No one is going to give up a Aprospect + 1st pick calm your ******* boys

I said A prospect and a 2nd. Plus, Beaulieu is a #3 defender, let's be honest. I love the kid. He has amazing wheels, he's tough as nails and has turned into a reliable defender. But he has his flaws, a lot of which I think could actually be solved with using a longer stick funny enough, but they are there.

I think for Tampa, he could be what they wanted Carle to be and what Stralman is right now.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015
I'm not denying that. I was only saying that there could be a possibility that if the Montreal Canadiens acquire Jonathan Drouin, they could see him as a centre. That would require development and playing time at the position. That's why I mentioned it.

Once again though, this would be dependent on a new coach. I just can't see Therrien giving this kid what he needs to succeed. He'd be on the 4th line as a winger, and then in the pressbox if he scores a couple goals. But, with a good developmental coach, he would be the 3C and getting lay up minutes to help him find his groove at the the pro level. Honestly, you can teach defense so I don't think there's an issue there. What he brings offensively is something you can't though, that's natural given talent that might be best fit in the middle of the ice. Who knows though.

I can only think NHL execs would want this kid on the wing, where he can focus more on his offence. On wing, defensively there isn't much to it other than skating back and playing his pointman while using his speed to provide outlet options to the D. And with a talent his age, you need to live with a few errors.....which seems to be an issue for a certain un-named head coach in a Quebec based NHL market.

As for coaching, I had no issues with MT's hiring back in the day, I always felt they needed a diciplinarian coach to put the team on track, but MT's effectivness is about 3-4 seasons.....and he seems to have hit a brickwall at 3.5 seasons

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Judging from Bergevin's latest PC, Drouin is the type of player MB will try to acquire (long term help). Furthermore, Beaulieu is the type of player he would be unwilling to part with. Not sure what his offer was to Stevie Y, can't see how Bergevin can make this deal work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad