TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
He doesn't want to risk injury in the AHL, but ready for the NHL where the players are meaner and bigger?

Pretty sure he said that because he's not planning to suit up for the Bolts in any capacity (NHL or AHL)

Just waiting to be traded

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
He doesn't want to risk injury in the AHL, but ready for the NHL where the players are meaner and bigger?

SY "Go to the AHL Drouin and prove to us you won't get injured before we take a chance on you in the NHL"

It's not that he was afraid of getting injured and that he's a wuss that he said that...it's that getting injured would be a huge stumbling block as far as him getting traded.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The frustrating thing about this kid is if you go by a lot of entitled superstar prospects in the past, there's nothing to indicate he can't be a superstar in the NHL. There's not even anything to indicate he can't be a captain or Conn Smythe winner some day. Some of the best players the past 30 years were brats and even a few so-called legends were headcases.

But 1 point in 6 AHL games doesn't show me a damn thing. He wants to sit, Stevie Y starts getting calls with a lot of 'conditional this, conditional that' because they're scared he's a flake. I saw a Ho-Sang plus for Drouin proposal and that might be the best TB gets right now.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Don't know if this was posted before:

"Should the 20-year-old forward remain suspended for the rest of the season, the Lightning could seek to have his contract tolled. If successful, that would leave Drouin with two years of entry-level remaining and make him an even more valuable commodity.

Of course, that action would have to be upheld by a partial arbitrator, and with no precedent to lean on, it's impossible to predict what outcome might come from a grievance.

Another potential consequence of this situation is that Drouin won't register an accrued season if he doesn't spend two more games on a NHL roster by mid-April -- which, as GeneralFanager pointed out on Twitter, means that he wouldn't be eligible for unrestricted free agency until July 2022 rather than one year earlier.

Now Drouin isn't being paid and he's got nowhere to play. There's every possibility the Lightning will leave him in limbo beyond the Feb. 29 trade deadline.

We've never seen a player with so little leverage step out on a limb like this before. And with the stances hardening there's no guarantee that this standoff will end anytime soon."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jonathan-drouins-ugly-situation-unlike-any-in-history/

By extending, that could screw up Drouin even worse. Looks like not showing up is a real dumb move by him now.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I realize many argue he shouldn't be forced to be a TBL player. I get that(obviously, he signed a contract but it's a fair request).

What I don't understand is the justification on why he asked for a trade in the first place. What I don't understand is how he's DEMANDING a trade. I just don't follow that.

Trist and Sea

Oct 1, 2012
Montreal
He can actually be traded after the deadline. The players involved in the trade won't be able to play in the Stanley Cup playoffs though

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
A junior coach who probably has some aspirations of becoming an NHL coach is not ******** on one of his player that made it to the big league? how surprising.

Stan

Mar 20, 2005
The thing is....he's an NHL player. He's currently making about $400 a week in the AHL. He's forfeiting 1 million or more with bonuses by not playing in the NHL. Tampa sent him down 2 games before another year of his entry level contract was absorbed. Most here would not accept that. He may not have handled this well....but most here wouldn't accept that in their own lives

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I wouldn't figure a tremendous difference, no...Scherbak is closer to the show so that might make him more valuable depending on a team's needs.

Key phrase being "if they're willing to pay". If no one's willing to pay (and nobody has yet) then Yzerman either sits on him forever and drags this out and drives Drouin's value further down...or lowers his ask.

I feel like if Brodin or even Beaulieu were on the table, the deal would already be done. Well especially in light of what went down yesterday. I really don't see Yzerman getting better than a young top 4 D-man in a Drouin trade now. But we'll see. These kinds of deals are impossible to predict.

My guess is Yzerman wanted Galchenyuk when Bergevin inquired. And likely has sought an equivalent piece, which is why a trade hasn't happened. He's valuing Drouin based on what he might become instead of what he currently is. That's just my theory though.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The thing is....he's an NHL player. He's currently making about $400 a week in the AHL. He's forfeiting 1 million or more with bonuses by not playing in the NHL. Tampa sent him down 2 games before another year of his entry level contract was absorbed. Most here would not accept that. He may not have handled this well....but most here wouldn't accept that in their own lives

Only a moron would throw away an opportunity to play in the NHL playoffs when that's their dream.

I'd shut my mouth and do whatever it took for the next few years, in the big league or the minors, rather than risk being traded to a place that might not make the playoffs for years.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

He signed his contract. Maybe he should abide by it?

Maybe if he did right by Tampa, they would have done right by him. Instead, he tried to use leverage he didn't have and now it's coming back to haunt him. Cry me a river :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad