TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Andy, Jan 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walsy37

walsy37 Registered User

of course I do but I don't have a guaranteed contract. People who are employees at will can't act like petulant children or their boss will fire them. There are pros and cons to having a NHL contract. You get your money as long as you show up but you can't just leave. Being a professional in any job means just that being professional. Acting all hurt and insulted is not professional.

2. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    As of now, I concur that the union cannot do much.

This said, if Drouin says something like "I'm back" (whether he really wants to is another thing, but let's just say he's doing that for the sake of doing it), and that StevieY keeps him suspended, THEN the union might have something to say about it.

3. walsy37

walsy37 Registered User

Absolutely, as long as he is willing to play and show up, Stevie Y cannot keep him suspended without a union fight. They might be able to keep him suspended if they were paying him (and they would probably be able to reinstate him and just not play him - see Terrell Owens case with the Philadelphia Eagles), but in either of these scenarios, it would still likely be a fight. It is why even if a team really felt that a player was dogging it, they would still pay him. So difficult to prove and would likely lose that

4. Justin11

Justin11 Registered User

To a certain extend, you are right. However, rest assured that the players union will apply a lot of pressure. Yzerman can elect to do whatever he wants. In the long run, this will create a bigger mess and unnecessary distraction to the team.

For the record, I do not agree with Walsh going public and Drouin walking away from the team. Walsh may rub people the wrong way with how he conducts his business, but he is no stupid man. This will be resolved sooner than later.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. Bob b smith

Bob b smith Registered User

If the price is palatable, I really hope we can get something done.

6. ValorJames

ValorJames Registered User

I agree in most part but there are always exceptions to this rule and I believe Martin St. Louis was correct in his feelings at the time.

Again my english is letting me down. I am not trying to say Martin St. Louis and Drouin situation are the same. My main point was to say I don't think Yzerman is as respected as most people think he is in the TB locker room....which could be the cause of Stamkos wanting out. As for Drouin I don't really understand but it could be some what related to my point that Yzerman is not respected in the TB locker room. :dunno:

7. ValorJames

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong but they asked for a trade in November and nothing was done for 2 months before Walsh went public to put pressure on nothing happening.
    I think they gave Yzerman enough time to make a deal.

Drouin sitting out doesn't look good in the public eye but we don't really know the whole story either.

8. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

I honestly believe the best offers are in the Eastern Conference and Yzerman fearing losing his job if Drouin comes back to bite them, instead of trying to make his team better; is the reason he hasn't been moved.

9. MXD

MXD Original #4

Dead
    If MB is interested in Drouin, he could work it out with a middle man.
    Good connection with Anaheim.. and our man in Arizona owes us one :)

10. Justin11

Justin11 Registered User

Correct. But go for a minute into Yzerman's shoes and try trading your 20 year old, 3rd overall pick with high upside that has not proven anything yet at the NHL level.

Not an easy task.

11. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

No one is saying it's easy, but he has a built in excuse. "He refused to play here so I got what I could." - End of story.

12. Justin11

Justin11 Registered User

I was referring to the time when Drouin initially requested a trade back in November. But yeah, now things have changed.

13. ValorJames

I think you might be right.

I don't think Stamkos is coming back so he could super package the 2 and get amazing great value back if he has the balls. But to do this he would have to open to trade with all 29 teams no matter what division they play in.

Plus answer to all the TB fans why he traded away maybe the 2 best players TB has now and in the future :laugh:

14. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

Oh yeah. I'm sure it was tough because he probably believed in the back of his mind that in time things would calm down and he would keep him in Tampa. You gotta think Yzerman believed he would still be an impact player for his club and the whole thing would blow over.

I'm willing to bet he didn't really try to move him. Probably put out the word that he's available but for a very steep price that no one was willing to pay. However, if someone was, then great, but doubting anyone would and hoping they would work things out. Once Walsh went public though, it blew everything apart.

15. Burke the Legend

Burke the Legend Registered User

Yzerman and Cooper remind me of 1990s Habs front office. They think they are bigger than the players, that they are the hockey club.

Yzerman carries the arrogance of being a winning player himself, thinks he is better than his players and doesn't have to put up with prima donna behaviour. Cooper is a lawyer who probably thinks all the players are just a bunch of uneducated dumbasses. If the owner Jeff Vinik shares these attitudes and endorses the hardball approach, we're going to see more of this.

The reality is that even though a lot of players often are dumb prima donnas (that's how it goes for elite athletes), that's who the people want to see entertain them. It's management's job to get the most out of the players even if it means coddling them and pretending to respect them, not assert dominance over them through hardball battles.

16. KotkaSpicy

KotkaSpicy Getting Schwifty

Juulsen or Scherbak
    2nd 2016 (MTL)
    2nd 2016 (Minny)

Get it done Bargainbin.

17. Paul Dipietro

Paul Dipietro Registered User

And now it's compounded by the fact that he's suspended, and fitness/game shape becomes another factor

18. Habsawce

Habsawce Registered User

Maybe he can train in Brossard with Carey Price :naughty:

19. ValorJames

Oh I agree this is not a good situation for sure.

I don't have no way to prove it but I really believe this problem all started with the handling of Martin St. Louis...and next Stamkos and now Drouin.

I will call it my trickle down theory :laugh:

20. Justin11

Justin11 Registered User

I agree. I also think Yzerman quietly shopped him around but the asking price was probably like you said very steep.

Now, I believe that Yzerman is not doing himself any favours by not moving him for the best offer. I'm sure Yzerman has received a ton of offers from the 9-12 teams that are interested. With current situation, I don't see any GM doing Yzerman any favours, unless there is desperate one out there willing to pay the steep price Yzerman is seeking for.

21. Burke the Legend

Burke the Legend Registered User

No one is ever going to be desperate for a prospect.

22. Justin11

Justin11 Registered User

I have seen stranger things, but yeah, not a wise thing to do.

23. checkerdome

checkerdome Registered User

Do you feel Quebec fans and media are harder on a Quebecois player?

24. Gary320

Gary320 Registered User

Besides David Desharnais and Darche.. yes.

Latendresse, Ribeiro, Theodore. I'd say 2/3 might have been well deserved.

25. checkerdome

checkerdome Registered User

Did that contribute to Vincent Lecavalier and Daniel Briere avoiding Mtl as free agents?

(I know that Briere signed with the Habs eventually; but only after he chose to play his better years out as a Flyer first when he was a free agent the first time around.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.