TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Re: Drouin

Bergevin will try to package three pieces of silver for a piece of gold.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
I said A prospect and a 2nd. Plus, Beaulieu is a #3 defender, let's be honest. I love the kid. He has amazing wheels, he's tough as nails and has turned into a reliable defender. But he has his flaws, a lot of which I think could actually be solved with using a longer stick funny enough, but they are there.

I think for Tampa, he could be what they wanted Carle to be and what Stralman is right now.

I'm just gonna say that Beaulieu is actually a #3, in his first NHL full year. Of course he has his flaws, but don't forget that Drouin has more and he's not even able to crack Tampa's line up who had a lot of injury this year.

How is Drouin worth anywhere near Beaulieu's value. Plus, we have no one to play Beaulieu's spot longterm.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm just gonna say that Beaulieu is actually a #3, in his first NHL full year. Of course he has his flaws, but don't forget that Drouin has more and he's not even able to crack Tampa's line up who had a lot of injury this year.

How is Drouin worth anywhere near Beaulieu's value. Plus, we have no one to play Beaulieu's spot longterm.

Well the team isn't challenging for squat this year. So he has time to find a solution for that in the off-season. Drouin has all-world talent in his hands, I don't see how anyone can deny this, whether or not he's done anything at the NHL level or not. It's worth the risk, but let's be serious; there's no way in a vacuum that Beaulieu is on par value wise with Drouin, so trading him for Drouin is a no-brainer.

Seriously, talent wins. Think about Pat Kane, that guy does nothing but cause problems in the off-season, but he's an all-world talent so you deal with it and be happy for what he brings on the ice. The same can be for Drouin.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Drouin and Walsh are trying to force Yzerman's hand. The way I see it, Yzerman will have no choice but to move him asap. This is a depreciating asset. Drouin's value will be dropping by the day, as he has elected to stay home.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Drouin and Walsh are trying to force Yzerman's hand. The way I see it, Yzerman will have no choice but to move him asap. This is a depreciating asset. Drouin's value will be dropping by the day, as he has elected to stay home.

Actually, I think just the opposite. Yzerman can't trade him right now. He can't set the precedent of allowing a player to pull something like this. Coupled with the Lightning playing well right now, Yzerman can leave Drouin rotting.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Actually, I think just the opposite. Yzerman can't trade him right now. He can't set the precedent of allowing a player to pull something like this. Coupled with the Lightning playing well right now, Yzerman can leave Drouin rotting.

If I'm a Tampa fan, I sure hope Stamkos and Drouin aren't friends or close at all.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

This is not going to sit well with the players union.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Its so weird....

I can remember players not being happy like Kane and ROR but straight up leave and go back home ?

Something must be really wrong with the Tampa org.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Its so weird....

I can remember players not being happy like Kane and ROR but straight up leave and go back home ?

Something must be really wrong with the Tampa org.

Well...
Kirk Muller did it.

And Drouin... well, in a way, left the team, but only after being suspended.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
If I'm a Tampa fan, I sure hope Stamkos and Drouin aren't friends or close at all.

I really believe Yzerman lost the respect of his club when he didn't stand up for Martin St. Louis when he was the GM of Team Canada. All the TB players seen this unfold and must of thought if Yzerman is doing this to St. Louis he doesn't give a crap about any of his players.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I really believe Yzerman lost the respect of his club when he didn't stand up for Martin St. Louis when he was the GM of Team Canada. All the TB players seen this unfold and must of thought if Yzerman is doing this to St. Louis he doesn't give a crap about any of his players.

I don't think it's that extreme, personally. But I do believe in the players brotherhood and I don't think this will sit well. They all know what it's like to fight for their career and living, but I also think a lot of them still believe in putting in their time before making demands.

This is a hard one to handicap really. I can see it going both ways, where players are looking at this hoping that Drouin can set an example where players get more power earlier in their careers; or, sitting there saying "I had to put my time in and earn what I have, why does this kid think he deserves it already?"

Very interesting to watch unfold.

Just to be clear, this isn't on Yzerman. This is more of a big picture thing with a player trying to change the way ELC and young players are treated in terms of getting leverage and power.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

You think he lost respect because he didn't stand up for Marty acting like a petulant brat? Drouin wasn't even part of the team when that happened..doubt very much anyone besides Stamkos on that team gives a flying flip about that.

Don't know if you're aware of this but Yzerman remains one of the most respected men in hockey.

President XD

Apr 30, 2014
Didn't Yashin pull something similar in the middle of a contract because he thought he wasn't getting paid enough. If memory serves me right Ottawa suspended him for quite a while, close to a full season it think until they finally traded him to the Islanders.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
This is not going to sit well with the players union.

Nothing the union can do. Just because a player is unhappy and makes a trade request does not mean squat. The team can say no. Or the team can say yes. Or the team can say maybe later. Players have contracts and the their options are play for the team or not play for that team. Now, often teams will grant requests because they don't want an unhappy player dragging down the team - but they don't have to. Here, not only is it Tampa's right to say no, they can and did send him down. The union has no legal leg and cannot force the team to do anything.

As an aside, it has always bothered me when players demand a trade, especially publicly. It clearly lowers their value and puts the team in a bad position. The player doesn't care - he just wants out, but I almost believe that included in contracts should be a covenant that prohibits public trade demands. It bothers me even more when a player with a NTC/NMC makes the demand but then picks 2 or 3 teams that he wants to be traded to. No way to maximize value. If I am a GM and such a player wants out, I say only if you fully waive the clause and keep the demand private.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
You think he lost respect because he didn't stand up for Marty acting like a petulant brat? Drouin wasn't even part of the team when that happened..doubt very much anyone besides Stamkos on that team gives a flying flip about that.

Don't know if you're aware of this but Yzerman remains one of the most respected men in hockey.

Don't know if people remember but Stamkos had got hurt months before Canada selected there team. TB continued to win lead by the NHL leading scorer Martin St. Louis.
Most people had Martin St. Louis on there mock draft so it was a surprise he was left off the team especial since his GM was also Canada GM.
It was after Yzerman didn't fight to have his own player on Team Canada that Martin rightfully flipped out imho.
Your right Drouin was not there but players talk and express there feelings about there bosses all the time.

As far as Yzerman being respected I could care less. If he can't stand up for his own players that was gifted and would not have hurt Team Canada he looses my respect.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Didn't Yashin pull something similar in the middle of a contract because he thought he wasn't getting paid enough. If memory serves me right Ottawa suspended him for quite a while, close to a full season it think until they finally traded him to the Islanders.

He was a proven 40 goals and 1 ppg NHL player though. He did 44/92 and 40/88 before the conflict between him and the sens.

While Drouin did relatively well for a 20 years old guy not playing much he has not proven anything at the NHL level yet.

The longer he stays home not developing the less value he might have.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Don't know if people remember but Stamkos had got hurt months before Canada selected there team. TB continued to win lead by the NHL leading scorer Martin St. Louis.
Most people had Martin St. Louis on there mock draft so it was a surprise he was left off the team especial since his GM was also Canada GM.
It was after Yzerman didn't fight to have his own player on Team Canada that Martin rightfully flipped out imho.
Your right Drouin was not there but players talk and express there feelings about there bosses all the time.

Huh, not being given an honor gives you the right to flip out? As it was he barely played and had minimal contributions. Perhaps the coaches felt someone else would add more. No excuse to act like a petulant child to the organization that gave you a chance.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
He was a proven 40 goals and 1 ppg NHL player though. He did 44/92 and 40/88 before the conflict between him and the sens.

While Drouin did relatively well for a 20 years old guy not playing much he has not proven anything at the NHL level yet.

The longer he stays home not developing the less value he might have.

Yashin had a year left on his contract with the Sens and decided the Sens should renegotiate his contract and pay him more money given his production. There were stupid NHL teams actually doing that. Paying guys their contract when they under performed and opening up their deals when they were delivering. Sens said no and Yashin refused to play for them . Went to court and Sens won, Yashin owed them a year.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Huh, not being given an honor gives you the right to flip out? As it was he barely played and had minimal contributions. Perhaps the coaches felt someone else would add more. No excuse to act like a petulant child to the organization that gave you a chance.

Oh no doubt the coaches didn't want him. He played more as the tournament went on.
Canada was so deep that the 13 forward could have been 12 different guys. But since your the GM of TB he could have fought for him and this was big news when it happened. The media questioned Yzerman thinking and wondered why he didn't stick up for his guy.

Hey if you can't get angry at your boss and want to move on that would be crazy. We do live in a democracy.
Your going to tell my you don't flip out at times?....or other poster don't flip out on here?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Plus it's not good for public health, rotting corpses spread disease!:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->