Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
The Jets have had 5 games in December tied at the end of regulation time:

Dec 1: Scheifele unassisted game winning goal in OT @ NJD. Scheifele’s winner was his 2nd goal of the game.

Dec 2: Scheifele shootout winner @ NYR (Lundqvist). Scheifele kicked off the Jets 3-goal 3rd period comeback with a PPG.

Dec 13: Morrissey GWG in OT vs EDM, Scheifele gets the primary assist. Scheifele also scored to tie the game midway through the 3rd period.

Dec 14: Scheifele GWG in OT @ CHI. Scheifele had 2 goals and an assist on the night.

Dec 16: Scheifele GWG in OT vs TBL. Scheifele also had 2 assists on the night, the primary assists on Ehlers’ goals tying the game at 3-3 then at 4-4.

Just in those 5 games, Scheifele had 11 points (7 G, 4 A), including 3 game winning OT goals, a primary assist on a GWG in OT, a game tying goal that sent a game to OT, a primary assist on a game tying goal that sent a game to OT, and a shootout winner.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
The Jets have had 5 games in December tied at the end of regulation time:

Dec 1: Scheifele unassisted game winning goal in OT @ NJD. Scheifele’s winner was his 2nd goal of the game.

Dec 2: Scheifele shootout winner @ NYR (Lundqvist). Scheifele kicked off the Jets 3-goal 3rd period comeback with a PPG.

Dec 13: Morrissey GWG in OT vs EDM, Scheifele gets the primary assist. Scheifele also scored to tie the game midway through the 3rd period.

Dec 14: Scheifele GWG in OT @ CHI. Scheifele had 2 goals and an assist on the night.

Dec 16: Scheifele GWG in OT vs TBL. Scheifele also had 2 assists on the night, the primary assists on Ehlers’ goals tying the game at 3-3 then at 4-4.

Just in those 5 games, Scheifele had 11 points (7 G, 4 A), including 3 game winning OT goals, a primary assist on a GWG in OT, a game tying goal that sent a game to OT, a primary assist on a game tying goal that sent a game to OT, and a shootout winner.
Also stood up for Morrisey when he got banged on Devils game. That goal was also so great from him. 55 playing unreal hockey.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I was reading the top 10 players posting on the main boards as well and it brought up a question.(in my mind)Could one of the analytics people on here tell me how important or ,accurate the turnover stats are? Do they give a pretty good overview of a players ability to drive possession? It seems to rarely be discussed and certainly wasn't taken into consideration much on that list.I am just not an analytics guy so don't get all technical or I will just fade out

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I was reading the top 10 players posting on the main boards as well and it brought up a question.(in my mind)Could one of the analytics people on here tell me how important or ,accurate the turnover stats are? Do they give a pretty good overview of a players ability to drive possession? It seems to rarely be discussed and certainly wasn't taken into consideration much on that list.I am just not an analytics guy so don't get all technical or I will just fade out

If I remember correctly, logging of turnovers is really venue dependent and not very standardized - not sure how accurate these stats are for anything other than surface level evaluations.

Reactions: Duke749 and pictman

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
TB fan - Scheifele is my nominee for most underrated player in the league, guy is just a solid player all around and has the personality of a pure fan of hockey off the ice. Guy is definitely Captain material.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I can't believe I was mad that we took him over Couturier.

Granted there were a lot of people on the 'Shoulda Picked Couturier' train. Most fans just go by the draft board and trust central scouting. Also, Scheif's skating was terrible in his first couple of years; neither fast, nor agile, and he'd get knocked over by a breeze...was lots of hand-wringing by fans.

Now - heck of a strong skater, with shooting and playmaking skills among the best.

Reactions: irunthepeg

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Scheifele just gets better and better. He's in full beast mode right now. The "Bambi" quotes I remember from my first days reading this board seem so far away. I used to be somewhat indifferent to him but I can't help loving this guy. I love his character and work ethic and how that combines with skill to make such an awesome player!

AnonoJet

Jul 22, 2013
TB fan - Scheifele is my nominee for most underrated player in the league, guy is just a solid player all around and has the personality of a pure fan of hockey off the ice. Guy is definitely Captain material.

I am enjoying the interaction with Bolts fans. Usually, fan bases are at each other’s throats. Not so here. Awesome. And this is after a Bolt’s loss. Classy.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Guessing that, if the 2011 draft was redone today, Scheifele would be first overall?
Can't really say no to Kucherov, but I'd take Scheif over Gaudreau. That's a formidable top three to say the least.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
He'd be on McDavid's wing again.

He will. Mark my words.
Just for fun, I'd think team Canada would probably stack up something like this. Hardest part about the lines is there are too many good players

Marchand - McDavid - Mackinnon
Tavares - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - Scheifele - Marner
O'Reilly - Bergeron - Getzlaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad