Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Stats are a product of on ice play, you can't feel stats. But you can feel the moment, its all about the feelings of moments.

Just like how ill feel when my first tee shot at Kildonan is in the parking lot

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Do people just say things without checking? The jets have scored 4 EN goals this year. Care to guess who scored them? How many 'free pluses' do you think Wheeler and Scheifele got?
4EN, Appleton with 2 leading Wheeler and Scheifele with 1 each.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Do people just say things without checking? The jets have scored 4 EN goals this year. Care to guess who scored them? How many 'free pluses' do you think Wheeler and Scheifele got?

I was more talking about last year as the it completed already and the fancy stats where not in progress.....................

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Mark Scheifele, third highest scoring center in the league, ahead of guys like Crosby, Barkov, Matthews. Only McJesus and the Great German ahead of him. 5th overal in NHL scoring.

I think he may have become one of the most underrated players even amongst Jets fans. What a beauty.

Of course he's gotta do something about his GA but I'd bet if we tweaked his linemates and upgraded our D a bit that would become far less of an issue.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Mark Scheifele, third highest scoring center in the league, ahead of guys like Crosby, Barkov, Matthews. Only McJesus and the Great German ahead of him. 5th overal in NHL scoring.

I think he may have become one of the most underrated players even amongst Jets fans. What a beauty.

Of course he's gotta do something about his GA but I'd bet if we tweaked his linemates and upgraded our D a bit that would become far less of an issue.

Last two games he’s been in the defensive zone more then I’ve seen last few seasons.

I personally don’t care if he isn’t that good at defensive play. I just want to not see him float at the red line while we get scored on.

Can’t harp on a player for trying his best IMO

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like Scheifele , great player that worked his ass off to get to the level he is at. I still remember Bambi when he first became a Jet and now he's a top 10 center in the league. Glad he's a Winnipeg Jet and i hope he plays his entire career as one.:nod:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Wheeler is 'elite' in empty net situations. Looks like ~ top 5 in NHL history adjusted for games played. I don't know about Scheif. Empty net goals aren't free by any stretch of the imagination. But we have to admit, it's a good time to be on the ice for a forward who wants to put points up.

Who Has The Most Career Empty Net Goals | StatMuse

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: DeepFrickinValue

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Last two games he’s been in the defensive zone more then I’ve seen last few seasons.

I personally don’t care if he isn’t that good at defensive play. I just want to not see him float at the red line while we get scored on.

Can’t harp on a player for trying his best IMO
I'd love to see some video proof of that.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I wish I could say 'Empty net-gate' was peak HFJets but sadly we'd need to involve Frolik's wife or Trouba's dad for that to be the case. Anybody reach out to get their takes on "free pluses"?

Reactions: Imcanadianeh

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Wheeler is 'elite' in empty net situations. Looks like ~ top 5 in NHL history adjusted for games played. I don't know about Scheif. Empty net goals aren't free by any stretch of the imagination. But we have to admit, it's a good time to be on the ice for a forward who wants to put points up.

Who Has The Most Career Empty Net Goals | StatMuse
I've seen you post this before, a total strawman. Could it be Wheeler is out there with an EN because he's so good at capitalizing on them? It's not like its a foregone conclusion a team will score with an EN.

If you subtracted every point that Scheifele and Wheeler ever got on empty nets, they would still have first line level scoring statistics.

This seems like a huge reach to try and discredit players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Why are you loling? I'm serious. You are making an assertion that our best player just coasts around the redline when we get scored on. I call bullshit on that.

Oh I thought you meant video proof of him being in our end.

look up the two on one with drai and mcdavid. I don’t know how to post videos they one he didn’t even try to skate back he was on the other side of the red line.

game before that he took a lap almost around the oilers net after losing the puck on a break. Mcdavid scored his second goal on that one.

both of those were benchable by a lot of coaches in the nhl.

My post was trying to be positive though. I hope he continues his efforts tonight

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

4EN, Appleton with 2 leading Wheeler and Scheifele with 1 each.

Speaking of saying things without checking...

The Jets have 7 empty net goals this year.

Three Jets are tied will 2 empty net goals each, Scheifele, Copp & Appleton. Wheeler has 1.

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 3.49.14 PM.png

EDIT: Please disregard my sarcasm & accept my apologies for responding to a post from 19 days ago.

In all likelihood back on March 7th the OP was factual.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I've seen you post this before, a total strawman. Could it be Wheeler is out there with an EN because he's so good at capitalizing on them? It's not like its a foregone conclusion a team will score with an EN.

If you subtracted every point that Scheifele and Wheeler ever got on empty nets, they would still have first line level scoring statistics.

This seems like a huge reach to try and discredit players.

How could my saying that Wheeler is elite in empty net situations be a straw man when I said it and provided the stats to back it up? He is ~ top 5 in NHL history (games adjusted). If top 5 in the history of the league is not elite, what is?

Discredit? I am saying he is elite in this area.

I could be wrong but I feel like you actually agree with me on this point, but want to find a way to disagree with me anyway.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How could my saying that Wheeler is elite in empty net situations be a straw man when I said it and provided the stats to back it up? He is ~ top 5 in NHL history (games adjusted). If top 5 in the history of the league is not elite, what is?

Discredit? I am saying he is elite in this area.

I could be wrong but I feel like you actually agree with me on this point, but want to find a way to disagree with me anyway.
I like you, bud. I guess I'm just hyper sensitive about the shit piled on 55 and 26 sometimes. On the list of things to fix, they are far down the list imo

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I like you, bud. I guess I'm just hyper sensitive about the shit piled on 55 and 26 sometimes. On the list of things to fix, they are far down the list imo

55 can work on bringing his 2 way game every night if you ask me. He doesnt all the time. But he is a big part of this team, on a team friendly contract - lots of value there. Cant complain too much about that.

This isnt the Wheeler thread so I wont say much here, just a quick comment that for me it's his 5v5 game that is not what it was. But by now his utilization and ice time is on Maurice, not him. Recently he gave a great interview where he basically said team first, he'll play wherever the coach says is best for the team. Solid leadership there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad