Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Don't talk analytics around Chef...

WFP- " I don't have much time for analytics. I don't pay any attention to it. Any analytic, I could go watch a game and tell you how a guy played and I don't think... I really don't have any time. I don't understand them. I'd rather just watch a game and tell you whether a guy played well or not. The analytics is a bunch of hogwash in my mind"

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The shift length for 55 to me is emblematic as a guy who doesn’t play much in transition...it’s either going well and they are set up in the O zone or they are buried in the D zone and can’t get across the blue line.
That's a pretty astute assumption. If your shift requires skating up and down the ice you're probably not going to want more than about 45 seconds.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

WFP- " I don't have much time for analytics. I don't pay any attention to it. Any analytic, I could go watch a game and tell you how a guy played and I don't think... I really don't have any time. I don't understand them. I'd rather just watch a game and tell you whether a guy played well or not. The analytics is a bunch of hogwash in my mind"

Rather closed minded point of view honestly.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005

For a guy so in to the game, I am surprised to be honest that this is his take on the analytics aspect of things. Especially with the amount of organizations (including our own according to Maurice) who uses the analytics. It's a tool, and you would be ignorant to not acknowledge it at this point.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes

Yeah. I can understand the players not liking them because they can show a lot more negative things about a player than was available in the past, but I don't see how anyone could outright want nothing to do with them or acknowledge them. The next contract Chef has to sign no matter for what team, I can guarantee the team will be using those hogwash numbers in those negotiations. You may not like them, but you should understand them.

It's just information.

Reactions: ps241

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
For a guy so in to the game, I am surprised to be honest that this is his take on the analytics aspect of things. Especially with the amount of organizations (including our own according to Maurice) who uses the analytics. It's a tool, and you would be ignorant to not acknowledge it at this point.

Yeah you really don’t expect someone in their 20s playing at the highest level to be so dismissive. You can understand people who grew up before them but not Scheifele.

Reactions: Guerzy

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

I wholeheartedly agree, but I'mma just pretend that I didn't read this and let Chef keep dominating.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Yeah you really don’t expect someone in their 20s playing at the highest level to be so dismissive. You can understand people who grew up before them but not Scheifele.

To me the issue is that the "analytics" community provides things that are measures or metrics but not truly predictive or prescriptive analytics. They truly are just metrics at this point.

For those that need the explanation a measure is just a count of things. ie. scored 1 goal. But knowing that the player scored 1 goal doesn't tell you much. If they had 1 shift, with 1 scoring chance, took 1 shot and scored 1 goal that's good. If they played 100 games and had 10 back door tap in attempts per game but only converted 1 time that's bad.

So by turning any measure into a percentage or ratio to help provide context you turn it into a metric. Goals per game, Goals per minute, Goals per shot attempt for example. Then you have a metric, but that alone doesn't really help you predict the future it only shows what happened in the past. You can try to do some trend analysis to see if something is an extreme outlier but mostly you're just comparing a player to their historical performance but it's missing a lot of context so correlation isn't necessarily causation.

What I mean by that is measures and metrics don't provide all the context. I.e. Corsi is just shot attempts but it doesn't tell you how dangerous that shot was, who took the shot from where, was the shooter pressured, was there a cross ice or low to high pass involved, was there traffic in front screening the goalie, did the shooter hit their target or not, how fast was the shot, was the goalie set when the shot came or not, was it a backhand shot, was the defender on the play left handed or right handed, where was the defenders stick, was the defender in the correct position or not, was the defender fatigued or not, was the attacking player fatigued or not, what was the score in the game, how much time was left in the game, who was the goalie, who were the defenders, who were the linemates, where were they positioned, etc.

All these things and more need to be considered when evaluating that shot that led to that 1 goal. Only by having accurately collected and accounted for all this information can you build a model that would show the likelihood of that 1 play resulting in a goal or not.

Given that most publicly available data models don't address or even contemplate these variables, how much stock should be put in the results if more than half the inputs in arriving at the result are missing? When shot location is registered, is it from where the player was or where the puck came off their stick?

So it's not that there's no value to the "Analytics" but they aren't nearly as predictive or prescriptive as people may like to have you think. What I mean by that is say you're driving towards a traffic light and it turns yellow. A predictive analytic would show you that the traffic light is yellow so it's about to turn red. Expected Goals doesn't necessarily tell you that the traffic light is yellow, it could still be green if all the variables were properly accounted for and just because it might be yellow doesn't mean that it's going to be red next.

Prescriptive analytics are the best and that would be that you're driving towards the traffic light, it has turned yellow so you need to stop the car because it's going to be red. They tell you what you should do based on the situation. i.e. should the player have shot that puck or not? Did shooting that puck help increase the odds of winning that game or not? With a prescriptive analytic you could show if the shot attempt was the optimal play or not and arrive at some sort of commentary about a players decision making and ability by looking at the results compared to what the model said the results should be.

I just don't think the data that is being consumed by the models is the quality that is needed to make any sort of definitive decision based on it. I think most analytics backers would tell you it's just 1 tool, not the only tool, because they also realize the limitations. Garbage in means garbage out.

(steps down off soapbox)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Love you Scheif but to not understanding something while calling it hogwash reminds me of.....

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Not saying you have to agree with analytics but the quote sounds so much like veteran hockey announcers and personalities who either lack capacity or don't take the time to grasp the basics while arrogantly dismissing .....then comically using their preferred analytics + - stats, face off %, hits, blocked shots.

Once again Mark doesn't need to like them or agree with them but if he admittedly doesn't understand them just leave it at that.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Clearly Wheeler and Scheifele are bottom 5 players in the league.

Read my post again pal. I didn’t say that.

sheif is well above a ppg with a plus 4 and wheeler is a ppg with a minus 4. Usually players so points have higher plus minus. I don’t beleive in fancy stats either but maybe the crappy stats are why they have mediocre plus minus when they score so much points ?

Reactions: hn777

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015

sheif is well above a ppg with a plus 4 and wheeler is a ppg with a minus 4. Usually players so points have higher plus minus. I don’t beleive in fancy stats either but maybe the crappy stats are why they have mediocre plus minus when they score so much points ?
I never said you did buddy.

but clearly Scheifele and wheeler aren’t bottom 5 in the league like their “advanced” stats say they are.

Reactions: jokesondee

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
I can see where Mark is coming from. The thing about players using analytics is it can sometime make you overthink the game and make you worry too much about certain aspects of the game. A lot of hockey is muscle memory and quick natural responses. How many times have we heard of a slumping player being told he’s overthinking the game and to just go out and play your game. I think analytics can be a great tool to use for coaches that can introduce small changes at a time to players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Love you Scheif but to not understanding something while calling it hogwash reminds me of.....

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Not saying you have to agree with analytics but the quote sounds so much like veteran hockey announcers and personalities who either lack capacity or don't take the time to grasp the basics while arrogantly dismissing .....then comically using their preferred analytics + - stats, face off %, hits, blocked shots.

Once again Mark doesn't need to like them or agree with them but if he admittedly doesn't understand them just leave it at that.

Like I said before it sounds like someone who knows he is bottom 5 in the NHL at these hogwash stats. Acknowledging them would bring accountability which is something that’s pretty foreign to a few players and coaches around here

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

He said that? :laugh:

But Chevy and coach looks into it to fit the best 3 players into a line together.

Seriously.
Should be balance for both eye test and analytic.
As analytic cannot factor many things.
Though it can provide stats that you might be able to improve upon.
It should not be the main factor to determine how good a player is.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

Actually, I can understand players (and some coaches) looking at "effort" or "skill" measures, because that's something tangible at the individual level. A team has a particular culture and ethos, and commitment and effort is something that you want to inculcate. Obviously, some players will have the skill / knack to achieve results (including adjusted shot metrics) without being in as fit, or expend as much effort as other players. But you still want an esprit-de-corps type of attitude on a team, because most players need the effort and unselfishness to contribute to results that matter.

Regarding analytics, the truth is that most players and fans and reporters, and many coaches, probably don't understand them well enough to use them effectively in evaluations or play adjustments. In fact, untrained consumption of statistics can lead to bad decisions by players and coaches, if they undermine some of the other system and individual play aspects that a team needs to succeed.

I think the solution is to have a process of consistent and productive interactions between data scientists and hockey personnel, with high quality tools to illustrate (like data visualizations), with back and forth questioning and testing of the data and systems. That doesn't happen in social media or in the media in general, which is probably why the discussions are so toxic and unproductive.

Reactions: ps241

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The truth is schief probably doesn’t need stats he knows the game so well. Analytics is how we understand it and try to break it down so we feel like we have something useful to say because we aren’t the players we aren’t in the locker room or video room. This place is is pretty much an analytics fan fest.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Powerplay goals don't count as a plus. One of many issues with the +/- stat.

Reactions: Jets 31

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If you believe in analytics that means Player A who gets traded from Team A to Team B should have the same analytics ... right?
If you say no then you are proving my point.
You have 12 players and 4 officials on ice ... throw in the schedule from travel time to time zone to having 5 game in 7 nights ... throw in the person who keeps track of the stats which varies from team to team to me that's way too many variables to get a true reading.
Another example like Maurice said if a team gives up 5 breakaways and the player doesn't get a shot off that does not show up in the stats but in reality if your defense gives up 5 breakaway you are playing terrible.
Remember winning face offs is not that important according to analytics because there's so many faceoffs in a game the percentage are very low that a goal will be scored but how many times have we seen a last minute important faceoff win turn into a goal?
PLD did not have a great game but scored the winner so what's more important his bad analytics or his game winning goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad