The disgraceful oversight of Nick Backstrom

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
Always rated him.

Would be more appreciated if he wasn't with a generational talent like Ovy.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
He is 1 of the best players in the NHL over the last ~8 years. You don't go ~PPG over 700 games just by "riding shotgun" to Ovechkin. It actually takes a pretty damn special player to keep up with a generational player like Ovechkin. Not only is he a basic PPG lock, he is an elite defensive player. He wins FOs and kills penalties for 1 of the best PK units in the NHL. He gets matched up and shuts down other top Cs like Crosby and Giroux. Or maybe he was riding shotgun to OV for that too? Add into all of that, he's on a sweetheart contract. Caps fans don't care if he's underrated or not. We know what we have and that's 1 of the top 5 Cs in the NHL and we wouldn't trade him for anyone (unless you're sending back McDavid or Crosby).

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
The reason he gets "overlooked" is that the only skill that he is a top 5 player in the league is passing and there is no award for that so he never ends up a finalist for any of the awards in year end voting.

Nobody in their right mind would describe Backstrom as anything less than a very good to great player. But he is just a notch below the competition for the Ross and Selke trophies so he never gets any year end recognition. Being a consistent top 10 scorer and top 10-15 defensive forward is praiseworthy though.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It would be insane if an unassuming, super under the radar guy like Backstrom snuck up and stole MdDavid or Crosby's Art Ross right out from under their noses.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
It would be insane if an unassuming, super under the radar guy like Backstrom snuck up and stole MdDavid or Crosby's Art Ross right out from under their noses.

Would be great.

If Marchand was a bit less of the kind of player he is, I'd probably cheer for him too.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I'm confused. They were attacking you because they think Eichel is the most underrated player or because they think Eichel is a better player of the two?

I got attacked because I said Backstrom is the most underrated player in the league especially in comparison to Eichel. Also, Backstrom is the better player currently between the two, and is often an afterthought when thinking about Washington.

People attacked me saying Backstrom is not underrated, and is also not nearly as good as Eichel. People were claiming Eichel is the much better player, and gave me a good lecture on how wrong I was to believe Backstrom is better and also more underrated.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I think he meant that he can praise Bäckström as better than Eichel in a Bäckström thread, without getting argued against so much, because there is less Eichel fans here and more Bäckström fans.

You are correct. Perhaps my original post wasn't worded correctly, but you are right in your assumption.

I got attacked in an "Is Eichel the most underrated player?" thread, when I mentioned "No, Backstrom is. Not only is he better than Eichel, but is often a huge afterthought in Washington". I was lectured pretty good for how wrong I was and that Eichel is in fact the better player and more deserving of the underrated title.

Can't even express my opinions without being criticized in that thread. So I came here to say my opinion that, yes; Backstrom is the most underrated player.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
While Ovechkin has clearly dropped from being a top point producer in the league, Bäckström has retained a consistent PPG pace in this league.

It stands to reason that no, he's not a product of Ovechkin. In fact he's the better point producer than Ovie at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Been the most underrated player in the league for a long time, in my eyes. Absolutely love his game.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I got attacked because I said Backstrom is the most underrated player in the league especially in comparison to Eichel. Also, Backstrom is the better player currently between the two, and is often an afterthought when thinking about Washington.

People attacked me saying Backstrom is not underrated, and is also not nearly as good as Eichel. People were claiming Eichel is the much better player, and gave me a good lecture on how wrong I was to believe Backstrom is better and also more underrated.

In which universe is Eichel a better player than Backstrom? It just doesn't compute with me.

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
As much as we all love Backstrom, he needs to step it up in the playoffs. Ovi gets blame for Washington's shortcomings there, but Backstrom has never really stepped up when they needed him to

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
While Ovechkin has clearly dropped from being a top point producer in the league, Bäckström has retained a consistent PPG pace in this league.

It stands to reason that no, he's not a product of Ovechkin. In fact he's the better point producer than Ovie at this point.

Welp now you've gone and done it. ;)

If by "at this point" you mean game 55 of the '16-'17 season than yes you would be correct. He has produced SEVEN more points than Ovechkin (who is still in the top 15 in scoring in the league) has this season. However, never in Backstrom's nine full seasons in the NHL has he outproduced Ovechkin in points.

Maybe this will be the first year it happens and that would be great. I just wanted to correct another misconception people may have about Ovechkin.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
He is this generation's Patrick Elias.

He is almost no one's absolute favorite player
He's never a true Art Ross threat, but is consistently among the league leaders in points
He's never nominated (a finalist) for awards people care about

I think most players that you can apply those 3 things to, are underappreciated.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Welp now you've gone and done it. ;)

If by "at this point" you mean game 55 of the '16-'17 season than yes you would be correct. He has produced SEVEN more points than Ovechkin (who is still in the top 15 in scoring in the league) has this season. However, never in Backstrom's nine full seasons in the NHL has he outproduced Ovechkin in points.

Maybe this will be the first year it happens and that would be great. I just wanted to correct another misconception people may have about Ovechkin.

Well Bäckström outpaced Ovechkin last year as well. Of course Ovechkin is notable for never missing games, so that's a plus for him.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well Bäckström outpaced Ovechkin last year as well. Of course Ovechkin is notable for never missing games, so that's a plus for him.

You said "outproduced" not "outpaced", something Backstrom has never done to Ovie.

If you meant PPG, my apologies, as for one year, you would be correct (a whopping .93 to .90). Again though as you said, all Ovechkin does EVERY YEAR is show up and play.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
In which universe is Eichel a better player than Backstrom? It just doesn't compute with me.

Given a choice between the 2 players, I'm sure many people would pick Eichel. Backstrom is a good player but fails to elevate his game come playoff time when everything becomes harder to do. Whether it's the increased physicality or the pressure of playoffs, his game slips when it matters the most. If that wasn't the case, the caps would probably have a cup or two.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Given a choice between the 2 players, I'm sure many people would pick Eichel. Backstrom is a good player but fails to elevate his game come playoff time when everything becomes harder to do. Whether it's the increased physicality or the pressure of playoffs, his game slips when it matters the most. If that wasn't the case, the caps would probably have a cup or two.

I think last year Caps biggest problem was the Penguins rather than Bäckis play. Course the pens got a real winner for Captain.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario

Can you elaborate as to when Eichel has done this? He is a 65 point player, lets not overrate Eichel and turn him into something he's not.

He is a budding star, but thus far there is no indication that he is on par with Backstrom.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He's a great player, but he's been outperformed against Stepan/Other Ranger centers in the playoffs. He will get more respect when his team advances past the 2nd round.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
He deserves more recognition on points alone, but, I've never seen Backstrom really dominate play. He is not dynamic in any way, there is no beast mode. You never get the sense that he can put a team on his back -- and people sort of expect it from superstars, in some form. Of course, there have been plenty of players in the same boat that still got the All-Star nods, so in that sense he's been unlucky. But given Ovi's shadow, it's not surprising -- same type of story as Malkin getting shafted from Top-100.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad