The disgraceful oversight of Nick Backstrom

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Backstrom is a terrific player that rides the coatails of Ovechkin. I really don't think Ovechkin would be near as productive over his career if he wasn't riding next to Backstrom.

Reminds me of the Laine/Scheifle duo. Laine is putting up terrific numbers, but it has a lot to do with Scheifle.

these two statements kind of contradict each other.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Really? Tavares, MAYBE, not because he is better but because he is two years younger. Giroux is not a better player than Backstrom no matter what metric you use.

Uhh....Since 09/10 Giroux has the same level of per game production as Backstrom in the regular season and a clearly better playoff resume while not playing with a GOAT goalscorer.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
If his name was Nicolas and not Nicklas, maybe he would get more attention from the media:naughty:

He has just 1 selection in the TOP 10 for the Selke. It's a crime.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Really? Tavares, MAYBE, not because he is better but because he is two years younger. Giroux is not a better player than Backstrom no matter what metric you use.

did you read the post I responded to? I never said Giroux was better than Backstrom.

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Early in Backstrom's career Datsyuk ruled the Selke voting, and young guys like Toews, Richards, Kesler, Staal, Bergeron, Kopitar, Backes were all considered better defensively.

In the recent past Bergeron has ruled the Selke voting, while veterans like Datsyuk and Hossa still garnered votes and Toews, Kopitar, Kesler are still considered better. And now a younger crop of guys like Barkov, Coutourier, etc are slipping in ahead of him as well.

Being a fringe top 10 Selke pick is not a slight. It is actually probably an accurate assessment of Backstrom's value.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Backstrom with 3 points today... 57 Pts in 54 games this season!

#Underrated!

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Ovechkin was a 50 goal scorer playing with Chris Clark and Jeff Halpern, while Backstrom was playing junior hockey in Sweden. He won his first Rocket on a line with Viktor Kozlov and Sergei Fedorov.

A generational goalscorer is a generational goalscorer regardless of the line mates.

Bingo. Very lucky to have been riding shotgun to one of the greatest goalscorers of all time.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
these two statements kind of contradict each other.

Think he/she is trying to indicate there is a reciprocity. Backstrom is a sure fire first line center, prob wouldn't have as many points if not playing with Ovechkin his whole career though. Still, he is also a great match for Ovechkin and bumps his play up a bit as well.

Backstrom certainly the greater beneficiary if you single them but really it is all about chemistry and what players you have. They're a great duo for the Caps to have.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Without Ovechkin, the Caps would have different top wingers. It not like Backstrom would go from skating with Ovechkin to Tom Wilson or Winnik. There would be up to 10mil in cap space to use on a sniper if needed.

Backstrom is an elite playmaker, and when not playing with Ov he's a little more selfish with his shot. He's not a bad goal scorer in his own right. I'm not so sure his point totals would have been much less if at all. Look at this recent tear the Caps have been on. Ovechkin only has a few goals (more assists) in this stretch and Backstrom has still been racking up the points.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
If backstrom can turn it up a little he has a shot a scoring title. Fully expect Crosby to win it but as of right now Crosby leading at 60 and Backstrom has 57. Its possible

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Bingo. Very lucky to have been riding shotgun to one of the greatest goalscorers of all time.

1. Ov scored 50 with Clark. He scored 65 with Backstrom
2. Explain Oshie, please. Oshie's pre Backstrom career best was 21. Oshie had 26 in his first season and has 22 already this season. That is Backstrom.

Come on.

But yea, If he wins the scoring title, we can call him lucky and give the trophy to Crosby, I like it

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
...but #1 in secondary assists.

He's assessed fairly as a mid-range #1

Would love to know how many of those secondary assists are one player removed from an Ovechkin PP goal. Backstrom passes to [insert Caps D-man here] passes to OV for the one-timer.

This has been talked about earlier in this thread, but not all secondary assists are made equal. Some are of the "he passed it to the guy who made a sweet pass" variety. Others are in and of themselves the sweet pass or extremely heady play; Backstrom's PP secondary assists are typically of the latter variety.

Backstrom is an upper level #1. Rated even as a mid-range #1 is missing the point with this player.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
I can come to this thread without getting attacked. I definitely think he is the most underrated player on these boards. He is consistently a PPG player and the top center on one of the best teams in the league. WIthout a doubt he is a top 20 offensive player in this league (or better), and yet people treat him like an afterthought.

I mentioned in the Eichel thread that is on the main boards that Backstrom is the most underrated player and not Eichel and I got attached to pieces because people are claiming Backstrom can only hope to be compared to Eichel. It baffles my mind.

Maybe one day when Backstrom lifts the cup people will recognize him for how good he actually is.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I can come to this thread without getting attacked. I definitely think he is the most underrated player on these boards. He is consistently a PPG player and the top center on one of the best teams in the league. WIthout a doubt he is a top 20 offensive player in this league (or better), and yet people treat him like an afterthought.

I mentioned in the Eichel thread that is on the main boards that Backstrom is the most underrated player and not Eichel and I got attached to pieces because people are claiming Backstrom can only hope to be compared to Eichel. It baffles my mind.

Maybe one day when Backstrom lifts the cup people will recognize him for how good he actually is.

I'm confused. They were attacking you because they think Eichel is the most underrated player or because they think Eichel is a better player of the two?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I'm confused. They were attacking you because they think Eichel is the most underrated player or because they think Eichel is a better player of the two?

I think he meant that he can praise Bäckström as better than Eichel in a Bäckström thread, without getting argued against so much, because there is less Eichel fans here and more Bäckström fans.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The guy is 5th in scoring this year and 7th in scoring since he entered the league, with above average defense, and some don't think he's underrated when he's commonly described as a "top 10 center"?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad