The disgraceful oversight of Nick Backstrom

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There still have been other threads regarding this topic recently, regardless of what fanbase starts it.

Yes is underrated, mostly due to having Ovi and for recently Kuzy on the same team

Just like there are constant Toews threads going the other way. As for Backstrom, he doesn't want the spot light. So, being underrated is partly his desire. Adam Oates is in the Hall of Fame for feeding pucks to elite scorers. Having Ov there shouldn't take credit from his skill level.

I do think that its fair to point out that Backstrom's defensive game is significantly underplayed. Trotz likes his match up of Backstrom against any first line center driven line in the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think people here give him a ton of respect. Especially fans of teams in the Metro.

You read smack talk about every player on the Caps but most leave Backstrom alone.

They leave Backstrom alone because he is low profile. I don't think most Metro division fans would place Backstrom in the top 5 centers in the division. Much less the league.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They leave Backstrom alone because he is low profile. I don't think most Metro division fans would place Backstrom in the top 5 centers in the division. Much less the league.
What? Who are those fans? Crosby, Malkin and then Bäckström. Who would put anyone ahead of Bäckström in the #3 spot in the metro division?

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Might have something to do with Alexander Ovechkin scoring his 550th goal......

:help:

The headline went something like "Ovechkin powers Capitals..." - which is strange when for once other guys powered the Capitals past their oponent and not Ovechkin. That "milestone" was not mentioned with one word in the headline.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Is the Backstrom more disgraceful then the Malkin oversight?

Backstrom is a terrific player that rides the coatails of Ovechkin. I really don't think Ovechkin would be near as productive over his career if he wasn't riding next to Backstrom.

Reminds me of the Laine/Scheifle duo. Laine is putting up terrific numbers, but it has a lot to do with Scheifle.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There's no oversight. Backstrom's a great playmaker and defensive center, but he hasn't been slighted for any awards. He simply hasn't deserved them.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Quiet guy overshadowed by Ovie. There's also subtlities to his game (defense etc) that aren't as flashy as Ovie or other forwards. But anyone who knows the game knows and appreciates the guy.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Is the Backstrom more disgraceful then the Malkin oversight?

No but it's a similar situation (Crosby in the spotlight over Malkin, Ovechkin over Backstrom). Crosby and Ovechkin are the Captains, the Crosby vs Ovechkin rivalry touted by the media, the fact they really are the two best of this generation, the fact Malkin and Backstrom are just quieter in the media generally.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Most people that watch him enough can appreciate his game. I have him as a top 5 centre.

Crosby, Malkin, and Kopitar are the only three clearly ahead in my books.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Most underrated(edited instead of overrated oops) the NHL.

I think he probably gets the "the one who feeds Ovi" tag, but he also is a good player on his own.

Pascal Dupuis got a similar treatment playing with Crosby.

Anyway Backstrom is elite.

Last edited:

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Most overrated in the NHL.

I think he probably gets the "the one who feeds Ovi" tag, but he also is a good player on his own.

Did you mean under-rated? Overrated means he gets more credit than he deserves, and you continue to say how he is elite. Quite a confusing post.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Most overrated in the NHL.

This post has me thoroughly confused

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
What? Who are those fans? Crosby, Malkin and then Bäckström. Who would put anyone ahead of Bäckström in the #3 spot in the metro division?

I think many would say Tavares and Giroux ahead of Nick, and a lot of that would have to do with how much the league markets those 2 in comparison with Backstrom.

As for the thread, I'll just leave this quote from a Washington Post article today.

Since Backstrom entered the league in 2007-08, only six players have scored more points. Those players have combined for eight Hart Trophies as the league’s MVP, 15 first-team All-NHL nods, seven second-team All-NHL appearances, and 29 invitations to the NHL All-Star Game.

Backstrom’s baubles over that time: one NHL All-Star Game, which came last year. Oh, and he once came in 10th in the voting for the Selke Trophy as his league’s top defensive forward.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...87d6e6a3e7c_story.html?utm_term=.8e7f9e13db6c

Backstrom is easily the Capitals MVP so far this season, IMO.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Backy has 54 Pts in 54 NHL games this season... Exactly a PPG player. It's just usual for him.

#Underrated!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Very good but not amazing player. He was never able to get out from under Ovechkin's shadow. He was never at the same level as the top defensive centers in the league.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Very good but not amazing player. He was never able to get out from under Ovechkin's shadow. He was never at the same level as the top defensive centers in the league.

Well, he is an incredible playmaker with amazing passing & vision... and plays solid D.

That's not enough? 54 Pts in 54 GP... PPG. Not Crosby of course but still good.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Well, he is an incredible playmaker with amazing passing & vision... and plays solid D.

That's not enough? 54 Pts in 54 GP... PPG. Not Crosby of course but still good.

Do you think his point totals have been inflated by playing with one of the GOAT goalscorers for ten years or do you think his playmaking has inflated OV's goal totals?

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

He's 10th in overall PPG since entering the league and is solid defensively. And the margins are pretty slim on that list past the Big Three:

Crosby 1.33
Ovechkin 1.18
Malkin 1.12

St. Louis 1.03
Datsyuk 1.01
Thornton 1.00
Kane 1.00
Kovalchuk 1.00
Savard 1.00
Backstrom 0.99
Stamkos 0.99

Everyone's favorite defensive centers are:
Kopitar 0.88
Toews 0.86
Bergeron 0.74

It would be one thing if he were more of a one-sided player in the mold of Stamkos, but he's solid defensively in his own right and produces with or without Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad