The Devils are now 16-27-5 since John Hynes was given a multi-year extension on January 3rd. Only th

KinCornKarn

Oct 2, 2003
Extensions don't really matter that much since a coach can be fired any time. At this point I would say the coaching staff is a big part of the problem. Can someone please tell me what kind of system he actually runs? It always seems like it is open hockey in New Jersey.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Idiot's are gonna come piling in here saying Scheider sucks , Jack Hughes is a bust or that Subban is overrated etc. The fact is John Hynes and his staff have implemented terrible systems. Hynes line juggling act is the worse we have seen of any devils coach in the last decade. He's playing our small highly skilled players (Gusev and Bratt) with an AHL caliber player as there center that you have never heard of.

Reactions: Devils Army

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Much like the Panthers, a lot of the folks overrated the Devils going into this year.

They may benefit from a fairly weak division but what did they really do to improve their team?

They added Subban who should improve their PP but that's about it. Gusev was a nice snag but again, not fixing any of their core issues.

Their team is extremely thin and depth is what they are really lacking in all areas. Forwards, defense and goaltending are all thin and their depth probably doesn't intimidate too many teams out there.

Many here have mentioned their goaltending is still barely NHL caliber which is tough to disagree with although Schneider has shown some improvement lately, behind that defense his comeback is likely never to its true fruition.

Systems are very important and it sounds like Hynes doesn't really have any, but if the team is icing 5-6 "unknowns" a night than its a recipe for disaster.

With that said, they will likely stomp Florida on Monday and right the ship haha

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Extensions don't really matter that much since a coach can be fired any time. At this point I would say the coaching staff is a big part of the problem. Can someone please tell me what kind of system he actually runs? It always seems like it is open hockey in New Jersey.

There is no system.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This encompasses last year too yeah? For a .897 to be bright things must be pretty dim.
Save percentage after 3 games really doesn't mean much, but overall I STRONGLY agree with you on Schneider. He has sucked for 3 years and will likely be a .905%-.908% goalie again this year, if I had to guess. For the fourth year in a row. In Blackwood's 3 games he's looked almost as bad as Schneider did in the first 9 games he played last year. And the biggest hope for me for Schneider playing league average or better this year was if his games played was lessened and if Blackwood could take the job from him and put him on the bench more often, but with Blackwood looking like a random dude off the street in his first 3 games, I don't think the chances of Schneider playing less games is very high. I do look for the Devils to possibly demote Blackwood to the AHL if he has a few more bad outings (likely a last ditch effort before opting to fire Hynes) and trade for one of the guys off of waivers recently to platoon with Schneider or even possibly put him on the bench as the backup, but the only guy that I think might be capable of that from the recent waiver batch is Casey DeSmith. Domingue, Copley, Sparks, etc, are all TRASH and are barely NHL caliber backups.

The goalie situation was always going to be a weakness and was always going to be a huge reason why the team wasn't competing/making the playoffs, if they weren't competing. But the team should also be scoring more goals.

Even John Hynes most staunch critics have often times mislabeled him as an ''Offensive minded head coach'' and will say this when vouching for a more ''Defensive minded head coach'', but here's what I wanna know. If John Hynes is such an ''Offensive minded head coach'', then how come the Devils don't score more goals under this guy? Because I'm sure the team is bottom 5 or maybe even bottom 3 in goals scored since Hynes has been here. Maybe 17-18 brings it up enough to be bottom 5 and not bottom 3.

I know his rosters have been crappy for a lot of his time here, but the team really hasn't shown any improvement (save for the Hall Hart Trophy season) since he's gotten here. Not in terms of actual goals scored or actual shots/chances generated. So if Hynes is this good offensive wizard, do you mean to tell me that if the team didn't have an offensive minded guru like him that they'd be 31st in the league in goal scoring by a wide margin since the year he took over?

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This encompasses last year too yeah? For a .897 to be bright things must be pretty dim.
He actually has been decent. He has a .917 sv% 5on5, but .750 sv% on the penalty kill. Our penalty kill has been embarrassingly bad, and he's not getting much help there. He could be a bit better, but he's not been terrible like the start of last season.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Much like the Panthers, a lot of the folks overrated the Devils going into this year.

They may benefit from a fairly weak division but what did they really do to improve their team?
How many teams did do better than adding Gusev and Subban? This is a strange narrative.

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad