The Devils are now 16-27-5 since John Hynes was given a multi-year extension on January 3rd. Only th

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
This is what happens when you don't have any defenseman who can actually, you know, defend.

Subban
Severson
Vatanen
Butcher
Carrick
Tennyson

is the D group we sent out tonight...
Butcher had a great game, Vatanen wasn't that bad either. The rest...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's kind of hard to succeed with this kind of goaltending that he's had for going on 4 years now. but Schneider's play in 15-16 probably bought him at least one more year than he would have had.

He's really not a good head coach at all. I'm sure if he inherited a stacked roster he could make the playoffs and maybe even win some rounds, but he doesn't do anything to help you at all.

I've always thought he sucked as a head coach in the NHL, but my absolute breaking point came when he was quoted as saying that Kevin Rooney gets the puck out of the D-zone very quickly or something like that.

That tells me he's a coach that doesn't really value puck possession or scoring chances. That was an absolutely unnecessary comment to make. It's not like he just gave a generic comment to try to say this player was good. That shows me he really believes that and he's even dumber than I ever thought he was.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
keep blaming goaltending and schneider? okay...they have blackwood who played much better than that sieve last year, why isn't he starting?

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I was told that the Devils were going to be cup contenders, Gusev was the next Panarin, Subban is still a number 1 D, and Hughes was McDavid tier.

giphy.gif

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
There’s a ton of blame to go around

1) Hynes and his staff are atrocious, especially Kowalsky(runs the electric o/18 PP we have)

2) Defense as a whole is terrible; Greene is way past it, Subban is a shell of his former self, Severson has no clue how to play defense, Carrick/Mueller aren’t NHL players. Vatanen and Butcher are the only decent ones and Butcher really isn’t great in his own zone.

3) Goalies just aren’t good, Schneider can still have a good game here and there but injuries have taken their toll. Blackwood stinks.

4) Top guys up front have not shown up at all. Hall has been mostly terrible, Nico has been a complete no-show, Palmieri disappears periods at a time. Hughes has gotten better each game but wasn’t ready to be a center imo.

Crazy that the season started 10 days ago and it’s practically over already. They’re going to get hammered by the Rags on Thursday and if nothing happens after that than Shero might as well get his marching orders too.

and yeah it’s easy to change the coach instead of blaming the guys on the ice but I haven’t seen a team look so lost and uninspired since the MacLean nightmare of 2010.

Last edited:

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
I am of the opinion that you have to fight for your season here and remove the head coach. I'm not a hockey student to identify definitively how much of this falls on Hynes but I suspect its alot and even if it isnt, changing nothing and letting this team slide into obscurity is not acceptable after the 7 years they have had and the summer that they had. Not ok to be done by Halloween all that considered. My hope for this year was a playoff berth and a feeling that this team is rising. My minimum requirement was meaningful games in March. Thats really the bottom line for me.

As for replacements, I know its random, but would Ken Hitchcock make sense? I'm just thinking about a guy with some gravitas in the NHL coming in and being able to swing a big stick, even if it is entirely interim.

Promoting assistants or an AHL coach does not seem to be a good option here.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
For your consideration: 2 of the last 8 Stanley Cup Champions have won the trophy with interim head coaches after initial head coaches were fired for poor performance during the season (2019 St Louis & 2012 Los Angeles).

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
There’s a ton of blame to go around

1) Hughes

2) Hughes.

3) Hughes

4)Hy- Sorry, Hughes
Crazy that the season started 10 days ago and it’s practically over already. They’re going to get hammered by the Rags on Thursday and if nothing happens after that than Shero might as well get his marching orders too.

and yeah it’s easy to change the coach instead of blaming the guys on the ice but I haven’t seen a team look so lost and uninspired since the MacLean nightmare of 2010.
Fixed this for you..

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Seems like the coaching isn’t helping at all.

But people also had too high expectations for them. They weren’t good last year and since then they added nice names but every one has some serious question marks. People assumed all the questions would be answered positively and now it turns out they’re not.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We are a team loaded to overflowing with high risk/high reward 'talent' guys. We just don't have any hockey players... and specifically, anyone who can play defense.

We'll surprisingly go on a streak or two, winning games 5-3 and such - but we'll lose to any team that knows how to be patient and wait for our D to implode and desperation cross-ice-passitis to set in.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Yeah, but they’re 0-4-2 with Jack Hughes in the lineup.

Which begs the question, who’s the real problem?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Seems like the coaching isn’t helping at all.

But people also had too high expectations for them. They weren’t good last year and since then they added nice names but every one has some serious question marks. People assumed all the questions would be answered positively and now it turns out they’re not.
They had a ton of injuries to key players and historically terrible goaltending last year as well. They may very well have been overhyped here, but their roster should be better than how they have performed so far. Not just in wins/losses either, their performance overall has been atrocious in most games.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I have no doubt that coaching is a large issue, but their roster construction has a few issues as others have pointed out. Left side defence is very weak as well as the lack of two way defensemen. Leads to a lot of goals against especially when their goaltending is less than ideal. I think it’s going to be another rough season for them, hopefully they can get going a bit and get some value out of Hall, Vatanen, Greene, and Simmonds around the trade deadline.

On the bright side they are still young. Hughes, Hischier, and Smith should be long term building blocks for the team. They are going to have a ton of cap room this offseason. Hopefully they can find a Marleau and a 1st type trade to use the cap space wisely. Their are going to be a ton of teams in a cap crunch so it’ll be a good time to try and collect some more talent.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
We are a team loaded to overflowing with high risk/high reward 'talent' guys. We just don't have any hockey players... and specifically, anyone who can play defense.

We'll surprisingly go on a streak or two, winning games 5-3 and such - but we'll lose to any team that knows how to be patient and wait for our D to implode and desperation cross-ice-passitis to set in.

This x10000000.

When we traded Larsson that was the last of our defenseman that could actually shut down the opposition's stars.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm calling it right now, Bruce Boudreau is the next coach of the New Jersey Devils after Hynes is fired and BB is fired by the Minnesota Wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad