The Devils are now 16-27-5 since John Hynes was given a multi-year extension on January 3rd. Only th

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm calling it right now, Bruce Boudreau is the next coach of the New Jersey Devils after Hynes is fired and BB is fired by the Minnesota Wild.

If you need to fix stuff in the regular season then Boudreau is definitely your man.

For your consideration: 2 of the last 8 Stanley Cup Champions have won the trophy with interim head coaches after initial head coaches were fired for poor performance during the season (2019 St Louis & 2012 Los Angeles).

Actually if you go back to Bylsma in 2009 it's FOUR of the last eleven teams.
Penguins
Kings
Penguins
Blues

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
When will people on this site stop penciling in teams for 30 point increases and forget that young unproven teams need transition years to gel and learn how to win at the very least?

There's plenty wrong with the Devils, but nothing surprising. They've lost games that they were leading which isn't surprising for a team learning how to win. Had they won those games they'd be close to NHL 500, which is what I expected.

People are playing fantasy hockey on paper here... that's your problem. The expectations. Picking the Devils to be last in preseason ranking threads and gasp... behind teams that had over 100 points last year was met with harsh criticism. This board will always overvalue picks, prospects, and a few names on paper rather than an entire team playing well instead of as individuals.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
When will people on this site stop penciling in teams for 30 point increases and forget that young unproven teams need transition years to gel and learn how to win at the very least?

There's plenty wrong with the Devils, but nothing surprising. They've lost games that they were leading which isn't surprising for a team learning how to win. Had they won those games they'd be close to NHL 500, which is what I expected.

People are playing fantasy hockey on paper here... that's your problem. The expectations. Picking the Devils to be last in preseason ranking threads and gasp... behind teams that had over 100 points last year was met with harsh criticism. This board will always overvalue picks, prospects, and a few names on paper rather than an entire team playing well instead of as individuals.
People are ignoring last season because half the team was injured for most of the season and the goaltending was putrid. Most people, including myself, thought they could be better or atleast equal what they did two seasons ago with a far less talented team which isn't crazy at all. It's very easy for all the "I told you so" crowd to be puffing their chests 6 games in. They look absolutely horrendous but I still believe they are far better than the way they've played so far and with a new coaching staff could possibly right the ship.

I see people bumping old Devils prediction threads and laughing at some of the posts. Again it's 6 games in. Wait until atleast Christmas before doing that because you could look really foolish if things turn around.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
People are ignoring last season because half the team was injured for most of the season and the goaltending was putrid. Most people, including myself, thought they could be better or atleast equal what they did two seasons ago with a far less talented team which isn't crazy at all. It's very easy for all the "I told you so" crowd to be puffing their chests 6 games in. They look absolutely horrendous but I still believe they are far better than the way they've played so far and with a new coaching staff could possibly right the ship.

I see people bumping old Devils prediction threads and laughing at some of the posts. Again it's 6 games in. Wait until at least Christmas before doing that because you could look really foolish if things turn around.

I don't disagree, and I never said I was drawing conclusions from 6 games. In fact, I said that if they kept a couple of leads, they would be right where I expect them for the year -- which is NHL 500. That's insinuating the same thing as you; that this is a tiny sample size and over enough time that'll even out.

My point was I think that evens out to a team on the outside looking in, as opposed to most people who saw 3 names on paper and had them as a shoo-in for the playoffs with a 30-point increase over last year. They were 31-41-10. I had them as a 5-10 game increase, which I think is still reasonable. The point of my post is that no one ever takes into consideration the transition years.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->