LeBrun: "The Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich" and Blackwood is on the trade market

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I like Shangovich a lot, he's solid, but after the Bratt contract yesterday all I heard from Devils fans was that they have the most amazing cap situation in the league, so I'm a bit puzzled how they are experiencing cap casualties already
Not a cap casualty, he just straight up lost his spot. He was a healthy scratch for most of the end of this season. With some prospects climbing the ladder there isn’t really any more room for him.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I like Shangovich a lot, he's solid, but after the Bratt contract yesterday all I heard from Devils fans was that they have the most amazing cap situation in the league, so I'm a bit puzzled how they are experiencing cap casualties already
Having that roster and bringing in Luke Hughes and Nemec is a pretty nice spot to be in. They bet on Hughes at just the right time.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
There is just no place to put him .He isn’t an upgrade on anyone in the top 6 . And he isn’t the best fit in the bottom 6 due to his style of game and what we need more of . He is a streaky 25 goal scorer. Has a pretty good shot ( release is very odd but effective ) . Is decent -good on the PK . Wasn’t really given a good chance on the PP . He has good size but doesn’t utilize it . Decent defensively . We just need more players in the bottom 6 that play a very fast , relentless forecheck , interior forward that can hit and win more board battles . Plus we have similar or possibly better options than him that will be cheaper in Holtz , Boqvist , Foote , Thompson , Clarke.
I like Shara but just not a great fit or need so may as well try to gain assets or a player that better fills a specific role - veteran RHD that’s like a Gudas type or a good winger like a Fast or Hathaway type

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The biggest issue with Sharangovich from a Devils perspective is they need a better compliment to their core. While I wouldn’t call him a soft player, he’s far from physical or imposing.

Devils are at the point where they need to start making the team harder to play against outside their core. Guys like Sharangovich/Tatar need to be swapped out for Palat/Haula types.

Rather than commit 3-4 million to Sharangovich, that’s better off going to someone else.
Very well said . Nothing wrong with Shara . He is a “ good” player but we need a different type player to compliment our core

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Sharangovich is mediocre at even strength, but he has a great shot and is a solid PKer. He can play on the 2nd line when needed. It is very strange that he got no PP time this year as that figures to be an area he could excel.

It's weird to frame it as a cap crunch when it's really more of a "this guy is probably going to be a healthy scratch half the time" crunch. The Devils need to make room for Foote and Holtz to sink or swim this year. You figure Foote can slide into Wood's spot on the 4th line, but Holtz is likely taking Sharangovich's spot.

I'd just as soon keep him as insurance in case Holtz doesn't seize an opportunity. He's capable of being a 25-30 goal, 50 point player and seems extremely likeable as a locker room guy. He also had a kid just before the season started so it's very possible the off-ice adjustments weighed him down a little this season.

His shot release (a season or two ago) was close to elite level. Not sure what happened this past season (why he couldn't bury it like before) but things were not working out. I agree with you assessment.

I'd like to keep him but the question is does NJ want to chance him again, and if it fails put him in the 3rd and eventually depth role where he ended up by seasons end... where he is somewhat wasted (IMO). Also, Jesper Boqvist is coming into his own and is by all means comparable replacement (and currently cheaper) and somewhat faster and a bit more intriguing for a permanent spot holder.

He rounded into a good PKer and is decent middle 6 player when he is on his game. Most important for him is to keep figuring out that elite shot release and deception. If he had scored more impactfully, NJ may have had an easier playoffs situation. That is his key strength asset, which... If he just buried at a higher rate would have stayed in top 6 no question.

Im generally torn on keeping/losing him.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
His shot release (a season ago and before) was close to elite level. Not sure what happened last season (why he couldn't bury it like before) but things were not working out. I agree with you assessment.

I'd like to keep him but the question is does NJ want to chance him again, and if it fails put him in the 3rd and eventually depth role where he ended up by seasons end. Also Jesper Boqvist is coming into his own and is by all means comparable replacement (and currently cheaper)

He rounded into a good PKer and is decent middle 6 player when he is on his game. Most important for him is to keep figuring out that elite shot release and deception. That is his key strength asset, which... If he just buried at a higher rate would have stayed in top 6.
What happened was a newborn in my view. I'm sure my shot release got worse during that first year of our oldest son's life.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
It's important to get cheap players to your roster when they are playing for the cup for the next decade or so, so I think they could use picks too. Of course, they can use picks as a trade asset.
Agree on moving the picks part
They are top 3 prospect pool, it's time to start playing g meaningful gms. Fitz will keep securing picks I'm sure, or just should not be the 1st thought

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Makes sense, if you can get good value for him and replace him internally, might as well recoup the assets. I just thought he would be one of the guys who stick considering the Devils only have like 5 forwards under contract for next year.

As a casual observer:

Hughes and Hischier with Bratt, Mercer, Palat, Meier, Holtz, don’t really have room for him in a scoring role and he doesn’t really seem like a checking line guy, but does have enough talent to be a decent complimentary middle six offensive winger. Their bottom lines will have McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist and Lazar. That’s 11 forwards. They could just run Sharangovich in there as the 12th but he’d just end up kind of without a role and his upside is probably a bit better than what he’ll end up getting to be in NJ.

I don’t know that it’s a cap issue, but for a team that did well last year and has Siegenthaler, Hamilton, Marino, Hughes, Bahl (plus Nemec and Casey) on defense and an okay tandem in Vanacek and Schmid, they’re likely better off using their cap after getting their other guys resigned on adding a defensive stalwart bottom six guy, a veteran D or a goalie upgrade. Sharangovich can carve out a better role for himself on a team with less forward depth, IMO.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If the Islanders can't re-sign Engvall and Varlamov, they could probably plug in Blackwood and Sharangovich.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I posted a month or two back idea of Sharangovich to Hawks for a 2nd and still think that makes a lot of sense.

- Hawks have plenty of 2nd's and could use a good young NHL winger
- Devils have alot of F depth blocking Sharangovich and 2nd is good asset value wise

If he is available and teams are calling, I would hope Hawks would be one of those teams
I think Govie makes a ton of sense for the Hawks, he can put up 25G, maybe more in a top 6 role there

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
As a NJ Devils fan I love Sharangovich & will miss him. Any team who trades for him will be happy if they put him in the position to succeed. He isn't the type of player you play on the 4th line which is why he doesn't fit with NJ anymore. NJ is just stacked with talent. Hughes, Nico, Bratt, Meier, Mercer, Palat, Haula etc. He's automatically pushed out of the top 6. When he had his 20 goal seasons he didn't even see any PP time, it was all even strength goals. Throw him on the top 6 & feed him PP time and he easily gets 30 goals. He can also PK. He may not be an all star but the perfect guy who comes cheap, pots a lot of goals & can play defensively as well as PK.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Would love this kid on Malkin's wing. He would actually work under Sullivan too. I'd go as high as a 2024 2nd.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not really a cap casualty as much as he’s just not that much of a fit anymore

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
As a casual observer:

Hughes and Hischier with Bratt, Mercer, Palat, Meier, Holtz, don’t really have room for him in a scoring role and he doesn’t really seem like a checking line guy, but does have enough talent to be a decent complimentary middle six offensive winger. Their bottom lines will have McLeod, Bastian, Boqvist and Lazar. That’s 11 forwards. They could just run Sharangovich in there as the 12th but he’d just end up kind of without a role and his upside is probably a bit better than what he’ll end up getting to be in NJ.

I don’t know that it’s a cap issue, but for a team that did well last year and has Siegenthaler, Hamilton, Marino, Hughes, Bahl (plus Nemec and Casey) on defense and an okay tandem in Vanacek and Schmid, they’re likely better off using their cap after getting their other guys resigned on adding a defensive stalwart bottom six guy, a veteran D or a goalie upgrade. Sharangovich can carve out a better role for himself on a team with less forward depth, IMO.
This is exactly it. Given the role he’d play with us he’s probably more valuable to another team looking to add some scoring to their top 6.

Reactions: NJ DevLolz

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2