LeBrun: "The Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich" and Blackwood is on the trade market

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
LeBrun: "Meanwhile, the Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich, 25, whose arbitration case might put him in a place that doesn’t make sense within New Jersey’s cap puzzle. That will depend on a few other things the Devils are looking at, too. So it’s possible they move him. They’re also working the trade market on pending RFA netminder MacKenzie Blackwood."

What's your offer for one of them? The Devils could use draft picks, prospects or cheap roster players, such as a third pair (RD) defenseman.
3rd d man yes. Picks no, prospects, depends on what ya got

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Sharangovich is mediocre at even strength, but he has a great shot and is a solid PKer. He can play on the 2nd line when needed. It is very strange that he got no PP time this year as that figures to be an area he could excel.

It's weird to frame it as a cap crunch when it's really more of a "this guy is probably going to be a healthy scratch half the time" crunch. The Devils need to make room for Foote and Holtz to sink or swim this year. You figure Foote can slide into Wood's spot on the 4th line, but Holtz is likely taking Sharangovich's spot.

I'd just as soon keep him as insurance in case Holtz doesn't seize an opportunity. He's capable of being a 25-30 goal, 50 point player and seems extremely likeable as a locker room guy. He also had a kid just before the season started so it's very possible the off-ice adjustments weighed him down a little this season.
Totally agree here with you. Honestly if Holtz isn't ready this year pkg him up for a similar player that is

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Sharangovich did really well in a bigger role last year on the team. This year he had a rough season overall and was jostled around the 3rd/4th line. He's a middle six guy at worst, so I can see him wanting to go somewhere with more opportunity. If holtz/clarke/foote make the team and get slotted ahead of him he's in line for 4th line minutes again which is wasted.

Definitely a roster casualty, would love to keep him ideally. 20+ goals easy, 30 upside for sure. Whoever ends up with him will be pleased. Potential game breaker, dangerous on the PK. People soured on him with his down year this year, but I think he's a really solid 2nd/3rd line guy who can play all situations.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
He's a good middle six player who is good on the PK and can score at least 20+ goals a season. He scores in bunches before not scoring for 15-20 games so he can be frustrating some times.

I believe he and his wife just had a baby this year so I expect that given the hard road of getting to the NHL and having a kid he would probably go for term more then $$$

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Soured in him this year. Streaky scorer with a decent all-around skill set and size but a non-factor physically and much better on the PK than PP despite the appearance that he’s a scorer. If you give him second line ice time or pair him with an all-world center, he will score some points and you’ll continually be wanting an upgrade.

See him much more as a pure third line and PK type than a middle six or second line guy. He’s fine and can definitely help teams with a lack of depth and I suppose if he’s truly the #6 guy in your top six you could do worse but I don’t think the Devils will mis him much.

I also think he’s going to want a contract commensurate with his previous season not this one - if he had term left on his current $2.775 million deal he’d certainly have value - as it is I think this signals he wants considerably more and I think that will negate anything all that terrific coming back to New Jersey.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'm biased, but this screams Colorado. I even mentioned it a few days ago before this rumor broke.

The Avalanche never sign any multiyear UFA contracts, and constantly (Grubauer, Burakovsky, Toews, Lehkonen*, Georgiev) trade for RFA's. They also happen to be in desperate need of a cost effective middle-6 winger.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Decent complimentary winger who can kill penalties. He never saw much PP time with the Devils. Skilled enough to play in the top 6, but maybe not skilled enough to be the driver on his line. Maybe a slight disappointment from a production standpoint this year but I thought the effort was there. Perhaps not coincidentally he and his wife had their first child, so I can only imagine Sharangovich was a bit sleep deprived.

2020-21: 13 even strength goals in 54 games while spending most the year on a line with Travis Zajac and Janne Kuokkanen

2021-22: 20 even strength goals (plus 2 shorthanded). For comparison, William Nylander had 21 even strength goals, Zach Hyman had 21, Mikko Rantanen had 20, Pavel Buchnevich had 20.

2022-23: 11 even strength goals (plus 2 shorthanded) after getting pushed down the lineup.
The biggest issue with Sharangovich from a Devils perspective is they need a better compliment to their core. While I wouldn’t call him a soft player, he’s far from physical or imposing.

Devils are at the point where they need to start making the team harder to play against outside their core. Guys like Sharangovich/Tatar need to be swapped out for Palat/Haula types.

Rather than commit 3-4 million to Sharangovich, that’s better off going to someone else.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I hope we keep Sharangovich FWIW
At sub-$3 million? Definitely.

Just don’t think that’s the commitment he’s going to be asking for. Significantly more than that and the Devils have better ways to use their cap and multiple options, some with potentially more interesting tools to add. IMO.

Reactions: Forge

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm biased, but this screams Colorado. I even mentioned it a few days ago before this rumor broke.

The Avalanche never sign any multiyear UFA contracts, and constantly (Grubauer, Burakovsky, Toews, Lehkonen*, Georgiev) trade for RFA's. They also happen to be in desperate need of a cost effective middle-6 winger.
Yeah my head went there too. I’d rather the Avs focus on more physically involved players for this kind of role and I wouldn’t want to pay Shara any more than Compher makes now for sure but we do need bodies in a bad way especially if Compher and E-Rod are gone. As a middle six gap filler, could do a lot worse.

Reactions: shadow1

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Jets fan here.... Does he play center more, or the wing?

I'm wondering if he'd work as part of a Hellebuyck trade? That could be the "few other things the Devils are looking at" that Lebrun mentioned. Seeing as how our #1 and #2 Cs are possibly both leaving town, I think there would be interest in getting a center back.

A lot of the descriptions of him in here sound like Adam Lowry, though. Can't tell if that's good or bad in terms of his fit with the Jets. If he can play C, he'll likely have either Connor or Ehlers as a winger. Seems like that might unleash his offence a bit...

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

I'm wondering if he'd work as part of a Hellebuyck trade? That could be the "few other things the Devils are looking at" that Lebrun mentioned. Seeing as how our #1 and #2 Cs are possibly both leaving town, I think there would be interest in getting a center back.

A lot of the descriptions of him in here sound like Adam Lowry, though. Can't tell if that's good or bad in terms of his fit with the Jets. If he can play C, he'll likely have either Connor or Ehlers as a winger. Seems like that might unleash his offence a bit...
He's a winger, and Hellebuyck is too expensive for the Devils (especially his next contract).

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

He’s really not a center. He’s played center a few times for NJ, mostly earlier in his career, but he’s a classic case of a decent player that played center at lower levels but really doesn’t belong there in the NHL.

Reactions: hn777

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes