LeBrun: "The Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich" and Blackwood is on the trade market

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
LeBrun: "Meanwhile, the Devils are getting a ton of calls on pending RFA forward Yegor Sharangovich, 25, whose arbitration case might put him in a place that doesn’t make sense within New Jersey’s cap puzzle. That will depend on a few other things the Devils are looking at, too. So it’s possible they move him. They’re also working the trade market on pending RFA netminder MacKenzie Blackwood."

What's your offer for one of them? The Devils could use draft picks, prospects or cheap roster players, such as a third pair (RD) defenseman.

Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Sharangovich will likely be traded in a change of scenery like trade, and Blackwood might get a 6th round pick but is more likely just not given his qualifying offer.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I posted a month or two back idea of Sharangovich to Hawks for a 2nd and still think that makes a lot of sense.

- Hawks have plenty of 2nd's and could use a good young NHL winger
- Devils have alot of F depth blocking Sharangovich and 2nd is good asset value wise

If he is available and teams are calling, I would hope Hawks would be one of those teams

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
What does sharangovich bring to the table? What type of player is he, what mold does he fit into, etc.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I posted a month or two back idea of Sharangovich to Hawks for a 2nd and still think that makes a lot of sense.

- Devils have alot of F depth blocking Sharangovich and 2nd is good asset value wise

If he is available and teams are calling, I would hope Hawks would be one of those teams

I think this is totally fine. I expect a second or early third, or maybe a functional player for player swap

What does sharangovich bring to the table? What type of player is he, what mold does he fit into, etc.

He's just a middle six goal scorer and he kills penalties. Good size, but he's not physical or anything.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think this is totally fine. I expect a second or early third, or maybe a functional player for player swap

He's just a middle six goal scorer and he kills penalties. Good size, but he's not physical or anything.
by goal scorer do you mean he has the ability to score 25+? Or he scores an above average rate for a middle six goal scorer, just don't expect more than 20?

Red wings need a goal scorer who just wants to score goals. Honestly, I could care less about their defensive abilities, but I am sure Yzerman would want that.

Reactions: hn777

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I like Shangovich a lot, he's solid, but after the Bratt contract yesterday all I heard from Devils fans was that they have the most amazing cap situation in the league, so I'm a bit puzzled how they are experiencing cap casualties already
he’s not really a cap casualty. More of a roster casualty. He’s pretty good, but the devils don’t have the space on the wings to put him in the right situation with ice time and linemates.

Team kinda jerked him around all season and it showed in his production.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
he’s not really a cap casualty. More of a roster casualty. He’s pretty good, but the devils don’t have the space on the wings to put him in the right situation with ice time and linemates.
Makes sense, if you can get good value for him and replace him internally, might as well recoup the assets. I just thought he would be one of the guys who stick considering the Devils only have like 5 forwards under contract for next year.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
by goal scorer do you mean he has the ability to score 25+? Or he scores an above average rate for a middle six goal scorer, just don't expect more than 20?

Red wings need a goal scorer who just wants to score goals. Honestly, I could care less about their defensive abilities, but I am sure Yzerman would want that.
He hit 24 two years ago, so I think that he could definitely have the odd good shooting year where he breaks 25, but I think 20 - 25 is probably a safer bet. He had an awful shooting year this year, but I think the norm the next few is probably a 20/20 winger.

Nothing great, but helpful. There's just no spot for him on the devils moving forward most likely. He needs to be in a scoring role.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Done

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I like Shangovich a lot, he's solid, but after the Bratt contract yesterday all I heard from Devils fans was that they have the most amazing cap situation in the league, so I'm a bit puzzled how they are experiencing cap casualties already
He's not a cap casualty as they can easily afford to pay him, it' as matter of whether they should pay him. He was a frequent scratch down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

Sharangovich reminds me of Kubalik. Both have size but they don't use it, and both have a great shot (Sharangovich's wrist shot vs Kubalik's one-timer). Sharangovich is a really good penalty killer, that makes him a more useful player than Kubalik. However, many times you'd wish for more intensity from them.

I think Sharangovich has ability to score 25 goals in a season.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Decent complimentary winger who can kill penalties. He never saw much PP time with the Devils. Skilled enough to play in the top 6, but maybe not skilled enough to be the driver on his line. Maybe a slight disappointment from a production standpoint this year but I thought the effort was there. Perhaps not coincidentally he and his wife had their first child, so I can only imagine Sharangovich was a bit sleep deprived.

2020-21: 13 even strength goals in 54 games while spending most the year on a line with Travis Zajac and Janne Kuokkanen

2021-22: 20 even strength goals (plus 2 shorthanded). For comparison, William Nylander had 21 even strength goals, Zach Hyman had 21, Mikko Rantanen had 20, Pavel Buchnevich had 20.

2022-23: 11 even strength goals (plus 2 shorthanded) after getting pushed down the lineup.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

He absolutely has the ability to score 25+. He put up 24 in 76 games two years ago. However, he needs to play with skilled top 6 guys to feed him the puck. He was given the chance to play top 6 minutes this year, but he didn’t really run with the opportunity and got passed on the depth chart.

He has one of the most unique releases in the league and can cleanly beat goalies from far out, but he also doesn’t use his shot as consistently as he should. I think a lot has to do with confidence, which he didn’t seem to have much of this past year.

Even when not scoring, he can be a useful player. He’s good on the PK, busts his ass, and is responsible defensively. He also seems to have one of the most innocent and endearing personalities. It’s really difficult not to root for the guy.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Sharangovich is mediocre at even strength, but he has a great shot and is a solid PKer. He can play on the 2nd line when needed. It is very strange that he got no PP time this year as that figures to be an area he could excel.

It's weird to frame it as a cap crunch when it's really more of a "this guy is probably going to be a healthy scratch half the time" crunch. The Devils need to make room for Foote and Holtz to sink or swim this year. You figure Foote can slide into Wood's spot on the 4th line, but Holtz is likely taking Sharangovich's spot.

I'd just as soon keep him as insurance in case Holtz doesn't seize an opportunity. He's capable of being a 25-30 goal, 50 point player and seems extremely likeable as a locker room guy. He also had a kid just before the season started so it's very possible the off-ice adjustments weighed him down a little this season.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2