Post-Game Talk: The Deadline is Over - Go(c)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael8771*

Sure didn't. At least Shero improved our bottom 6 some, but not as much as people are suggesting IMO. Goc's shiny toy factor will wear off quick IMO. And he'll fit right into our advanced injury program.
Agreed, it's an upgrade but not what we'd have hoped for.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You know who would look good on our team?

Jarome. Iginla.

Imagine that. After a very slow start, his numbers are right there again. I guess playing the entire season on right wing with the same linemates has worked out nicely for Iggy. Gee, who knew?

Boston's system isn't even ideal for an offensive player, so one could easily surmise that his numbers would be even better had he spent this entire season with Kunitz-Crosby.

Iggy's a UFA again this summer.

Yet another reminder to stop basing roster decisions on Disco Dan.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
You better make that 9 years.

Remember at the beginning of the season, when Shero didn't do **** to fix the top 6, the ISWT crew kept saying "just wait till the deadline...."

Well we waited. Top 6 still ****.

Kind of reminds me of the past 5 drafts or so with Shero habitually passing on talented wing prospects for even more defensemen. People kept screaming that the he had a plan and that the demen would be worth their weight in gold. Well, it would be pretty nice to have one of those cheap young wingers right about now. Saad (among many others) sure would look good in a Pens uniform.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

Jarome. Iginla.

Imagine that. After a very slow start, his numbers are right there again. I guess playing the entire season on right wing with the same linemates has worked out nicely for Iggy. Gee, who knew?

Boston's system isn't even ideal for an offensive player, so one could easily surmise that his numbers would be even better had he spent this entire season with Kunitz-Crosby.

I've never believed that bit about numbers in Boston's system. Nobody's just been good enough to put them up. A brutal PP in recent times hasn't helped.

Fire Shero*

I think it's more that the Pens have a GM who doesn't go after free agents.

But but but he offered Parise a contract.

I'm so sick of Shero, Mario needs to grow a pair and fire RS and DB.

Sid and Geno are wasting their careers here. Any other GM would build around these two world class players. Not Shero.

I still can't believe people like this idiot.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kind of reminds me of the past 5 drafts or so with Shero habitually passing on talented wing prospects for even more defensemen. People kept screaming that the he had a plan and that the demen would be worth their weight in gold. Well, it would be pretty nice to have one of those cheap young wingers right about now. Saad (among many others) sure would look good in a Pens uniform.

Yup. Or how about some of the under-the-radar acquisitions made at the deadline?

Tampa Bay adds Jonathan Marchessault, great AHL scorer. Still young enough to amount to something. Versatile offensive player.

Sebastian Collberg, I LOVE this player. Can really put up points. I think he's going to be a very important Islander fairly soon.

Dalton Smith, another player acquired by the Bolts. A future enforcer, still very young (21). We need size and toughness in the bottom six, that's what's missing badly now.

Anaheim got Andre Pettersson, another gifted Swedish scoring winger. Tiny, but could pan out. Worth a gamble.

This particular aspect of a GM's job, the under-the-radar move, Shero is particularly bad at.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013

Jarome. Iginla.

That was a terrible move by Disco.... we all knew that DB refused to let Iggy get to his "GAME". Shero and Co. decided to look past it though, so nothing we can do now.

You don't take a HOF RW and force feed him LW which he is uncomfortable with then put him 3rd line too. But the past is the past.

As far as your comment on Iggy being a FA after this yr. After he got sent through the ringer by Bylsma i doubt he would consider coming back here.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I get that. And I've been beating this like a drum all year as well. But see, this is why what happened today is good. What we need is to be able to make a HOCKEY trade. How do teams make hockey trades? When they have assets. The more we keep now, the more we'll have, hopefully develop and eventually be able to make more hockey trades.

To continuously overpay for talent will haunt teams, eventually. We have to stop doing that. I'm glad we didn't today. Goc and Stempniak weren't necessarily cheap, but it was about as much as we SHOULD have spent today...

...unless Shero was willing to deal some of the drek on his roster that needs to go, which he so far hasn't really done.

I don't know, Jags. The Kesler deal would have been a hockey trade. He's a better version of Jordan Staal. Kesler is a Hell of a player, and the exact type of guy we need in order to start building back to a playoff powerhouse. Even if he's not a good fit as Sid's RW--which I don't necessarily buy into--he's the best possible guy for our 3rd line center in a shift back to that model (as much as I hate it). I don't know how or why Shero's seemingly been unable, or downright unwilling to find a permanent solution to Sid's wing issue, but if he's going to continue to move forward with Sid carrying an anchor, we need to shift back to a 3C model. If that's the case, again, Kesler is the best guy you could possibly hope for.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I REALLY don't mind that he has blinders on for Pouliot. We will need him. With Letang's situation, I don't see how you could justify trading Pouliot at this time.

Olli and Des.

There, I just justified trading a player 2 years away for a player we've needed for 8 years.

But it's cool. Once DP rounds out his defensive game in the A for a year or two we'll be ****ing golden!

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Yup. Or how about some of the under-the-radar acquisitions made at the deadline?

Tampa Bay adds Jonathan Marchessault, great AHL scorer. Still young enough to amount to something. Versatile offensive player.

Sebastian Collberg, I LOVE this player. Can really put up points. I think he's going to be a very important Islander fairly soon.

Dalton Smith, another player acquired by the Bolts. A future enforcer, still very young (21). We need size and toughness in the bottom six, that's what's missing badly now.

Anaheim got Andre Pettersson, another gifted Swedish scoring winger. Tiny, but could pan out. Worth a gamble.

This particular aspect of a GM's job, the under-the-radar move, Shero is particularly bad at.

Couldn't agree more. It breaks my heart every time I see a promising young forward slip through Shero's fingers when all he had to do was pick up the phone. With our shoddy winger depth, he should be all over those guys.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't know, Jags. The Kesler deal would have been a hockey trade. He's a better version of Jordan Staal. Kesler is a Hell of a player, and the exact type of guy we need in order to start building back to a playoff powerhouse. Even if he's not a good fit as Sid's RW--which I don't necessarily buy into--he's the best possible guy for our 3rd line center in a shift back to that model (as much as I hate it). I don't know how or why Shero's seemingly been unable, or downright unwilling to find a permanent solution to Sid's wing issue, but if he's going to continue to move forward with Sid carrying an anchor, we need to shift back to a 3C model. If that's the case, again, Kesler is the best guy you could possibly hope for.

There is more than ONE WAY to build a team around Crosby and Malkin. Shero knows of only one, and that's where I have a big problem.

Besides, I am not in favor of dealing so many quality assets for a player that plays a 'hard' game. Those guys break down more quickly. Ever wonder why Jagr's still playing? Selanne? Offensive guys last longer. Oh, and they're pretty good too.

You want a power forward? There's one in the draft this year. Go get him. At least you get his best years. And he plays wing, too. Not reluctantly. And he'd be happy playing second banana behind our superstars.

I just never liked the idea of Kesler, just doesn't seem to be a fit to me. On the ice yes, but in terms of chemistry, his ultimate role, etc. Bylsma would play him more than Crosby. I don't know, I just don't like the whole Kesler to Pitt idea.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009

I know I won't remember, but I swear, it would be so much fun to dig this post up in a few years.

If anybody other than Collberg, and even him, from what I've seen has no real top-six upside, has a lengthy career, I'll be shocked.

How about when we got Gibbons, who was exactly what you described Petersson as, but has actually contributed? That wasn't underrated?

Michael8771*

Our biggest help now will come from Martin and Bennett if they can stay healthy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Jarome. Iginla.

I'd love to still have Iggy, but the Bylsma factor is something you can't ignore. Also, Iggy isn't a solution. He's a Guerin-type of guy who is going to be around for a couple of years before the wheels/hands fall off and he's done. Does nothing for us moving forward. And again, that's coming from a guy who was ecstatic when we landed Iggy. Still love the guy, and wish for all the world Bylsma didn't screw that one so badly.

And speaking of Kunitz, how much longer can he hold up? That's another reason we need to continue to look for permanent solutions to the winger issue. Kunitz will be 35 come opening day next season, and he doesn't exactly play the type of game that affords him the option to play for another 5 or 6 years.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
And the quickest way to get there is to develop your own talent surrounding them. The quick fix, band-aid solution does not work.

Kesler would be a band-aid? Okay... :shakehead

If we have to surrender a first rounder every year, we're clearly not doing something properly.

Let's regroup, let's start drafting for EVERY position and let's start developing from within.

Look at how many young players have looked good in spurts this season: Maatta, Despres, Bortuzzo, Gibbons, Megna, Bennett.

Actually, let's start by trading some of that defensive depth for some forward depth.

Imagine how great we'd already be with a coach who had a clue?

We have players, we need to start using the right ones, and we need to start getting rid of those that are hindering our efforts to get back to Cup status.

THAT's what we need.

I agree that the Penguins need a different coach and certain players need to be used differently, but they don't need to blow it up and waste more years of Crosby's and Malkin's prime in a rebuild process.

Michael8771*

Olli and Des.

There, I just justified trading a player 2 years away for a player we've needed for 8 years.

But it's cool. Once DP rounds out his defensive game in the A for a year or two we'll be ****ing golden!
Agreed! Some want to wait for our stars to be in the twilight of their career before we help them.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I hope we do well in the playoffs and although anything can happen i think most of us feel this just isn't our year. Regardless the outcome i really hope Orpik is shown the door, its gotta be this offseason.... Right?

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I know I won't remember, but I swear, it would be so much fun to dig this post up in a few years.

If anybody other than Collberg, and even him, from what I've seen has no real top-six upside, has a lengthy career, I'll be shocked.

How about when we got Gibbons, who was exactly what you described Petersson as, but has actually contributed? That wasn't underrated?

Where's the risk involved in bringing in young forwards like those listed in Jagr68Sid87's post? If we aren't going to draft any, might as well try to pick them up somehow.

Michael8771*

I hope we do well in the playoffs and although anything can happen i think most of us feel this just isn't our year. Regardless the outcome i really hope Orpik is shown the door, its gotta be this offseason.... Right?
I sincerely hope so.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

And what would it cost them if they don't pan out? Pettersson was had for Alex Grant for crying out loud. The Bolts got Marchessault and Smith for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell. Collberg was different because he needs to be an important piece for the Isles in the whole Vanek fiasco, but at least Snow has given himself a shot at a little redemption. I only mentioned Collberg because I was really hoping we'd draft him two years ago. His offensive game is explosive.

With these types of moves, you don't have to pan out all the time. The more you try, the better the odds of nailing something.

I WANT Shero to try and fail a few more times in attempting to pick up under-the-radar talent.

I envy Tampa Bay so much after today. They traded their best player, but their oldest player by far, and got back an NHL captain for now, and potentially two first rounders for the future. And they were already one of the best young teams in the NHL, with a great farm system.

Are the Bolts wasting Stamkos's prime years?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

You think Shero should load up on prospects at the deadline? The ****?

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal
I see Kunitz having one more good year left in him before the wheels fall off.

We need to let guys like Orpik and Niskanan walk this summer so we can plug the young Dmen on cheap contracts in. Then use that Brooks/Nisky money on two wingers.

I fully expect Orpik and Nisky to be resigned though. Cause' thats how we roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad