The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was expecting Lu trade to happen on Sun or Mon, but now I'm not so sure. Might not see any trades for awhile.

Not if they are asking for Gardiner or Rielly, that's for certain. I can see Gillis asking for Vancouver born Rielly, and Nonis laughing, no.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i'm starting to wonder if lands luongo which I believe he will do you think he will then attempt to take grabovski and package him for a guy who has proven he can put up 70+ points like a statsny type?

Yes it would leave us with a hole at #2 center but put a guy like statsny between Lupul and Kessel and he gets 75-85 points in a full season IMO.

plus with the cap space we have going forward and guys like Roy, weiss, Zajac, Ribreio #2 center might not be hard to fill.

Might not be easy but doable IMO

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think we'll begin to find out soon enough, but he also deserves some time. I'm curious to see whether he will be his own man or a puppet for the new ownership. What happens with Luongo might be a strong indicator one way or the other.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I was expecting Lu trade to happen on Sun or Mon, but now I'm not so sure. Might not see any trades for awhile.

We really don't want the Luongo contract, 10 freakin years. If he doesn't play the last 3 we still get the cap hit. Forget it let Vancouver buy him out.

DaveT83*

Nonis's first move will not be to trade any of the following:

1. 2013/2014 1st Round Picks
2. Jake Gardner/Morgan Reilly

If he were to trade any of the above he would instantly be villified. The Circus would continue - and Toronto's Brand as a Premiere Hockey Destination would continue to be tarnished ... Which is bad Business. Bell/Rogers are not about Bad Business - see the Firing of Brian Burke.

I also want to say he'd be foolish to trade Kadri - but truthfully as much as I love the kid - and think he's going to have a bright future - he's redundant on this roster with Grabo holding down the 2C spot.

His first move will be to rid the team of any dead weight: Connolly/Lombardi/Komi/Stekel really have no place playing on this roster - lots of young/hungry kids are knocking at the door - and after witnessing this team play the last 2 seasons a little youthful exuberance might be exactly what they need.

Next should be to make a decision on Kessels future - you either resign him - or you trade him - this should be finalized by next summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Nonis is an over-rated GM, his drafting is horrible during his time with the Canucks and his signing is also not so good, that is why we failed to make the playoffs again in 07-08, his team is full of plug-ins.

To be honest, if i am a leaf fan, i would much rather Nonis to trade away your first round pick, the thought of having Patrick White over David Perron still haunts me today, the thought of having Luc Bourdon (RIP) over Kopitar is mind-numbing, not to mention the entire 07 draft is easily forgettable.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nonis's first move will not be to trade any of the following:

1. 2013/2014 1st Round Picks
2. Jake Gardner/Morgan Reilly

If he were to trade of the above he would instantly be villified. The Circus would continue - and Toronto's Brand as a Premiere Hockey Destination would continue to be tarnished ... Which is bad Business. Bell/Rogers are not about Bad Business - see the Firing of Brian Burke.

I also want to say he'd be foolish to trade Kadri - but truthfully as much as I love the kid - and think he's going to have a bright future - he's redundant on this roster with Grabo holding down the 2C spot.
Kadri is better than our current number 1. Bozak was a Burke free wallet so he was given all the time in the world. I think he started the season one year with 4 points after 20 games. Hopefully Kadri gets the same opportunity. Here!

DaveT83*

Kadri is better than our current number 1. Bozak was a Burke free wallet so he was given all the time in the world. I think he started the season one year with 4 points after 20 games. Hopefully Kadri gets the same opportunity. Here!

I 100% agree.

But running with both Kadri/Grabo down the middle is foolish - if you interested in being competitive that is.

Asking him to play 3rd Line Wing duties is not why he was drafted - and is a waste of potential IMO.
He's a natural play-making Centre.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nonis is an over-rated GM, his drafting is horrible during his time with the Canucks and his signing is also not so good, that is why we failed to make the playoffs again in 07-08, his team is full of plug-ins.

To be honest, if i am a leaf fan, i would much rather Nonis to trade away your first round pick, the thought of having Patrick White over David Perron still haunts me today, the thought of having Luc Bourdon (RIP) over Kopitar is mind-numbing, not to mention the entire 07 draft is easily forgettable.

In hindsight, every GM had questionable picks in their GM's run. Even the god Ken Holland himself.

Fact is, he had some good moves for such an inexperienced GM in Vancouver. He wasn't great but wasn't as bad as you make him out to be. He had some solid picks as well that you seem to not mention, like your #1 goaltender right now.

Hard to say if he's overrated because there isn't much to rate at all.

I have said this much before he was with the Leafs too, by the way, not only because he's the GM here.

We can only hope he's that much experienced and seasoned his 2nd time around. He's got some good pieces to play with and to build with, hopefully he can take us over that mountain we are stuck under.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Boston-area writer here ... cover the Bruins 20 years, watched them since '65 ... big deal ... just to contextualize ...

Because of how Peter Chiarelli changed the Bruins following Mike O'Connell (a Canadian following an American), I couldn't help get curious about Burke vs. Nonis now that the name of the guy with the final say has changed.

I definitely don't agree with anyone who's assumed things aren't going to change and this is why:
When Nonis was Vancouver GM in 06-07, he had a few years to put together his club, and the breakdown of the NHL camp roster was as follows: 26 Canadians, 2 U.S., 6 Swedes, 2 Czechs, 2 Finns and a player from Denmark.
Burke leaves a team with 19 Canadians, 8 U.S., 2 Swedes, and 1 each from Russia, Finland, Germany and Belarus.

The post-lockout O'Connell Bruins of 05-06 had: 19 Canadians, 14 U.S., 2 each from Russia, Sweden, Czech Rep. and one Finn.

Chiarelli's team last year: 22 Canadians, 7 U.S. and 1 each from Khaz., Fin., CR, Slovakia, France and Germany.

It's not the be-all, end-all, but hard to ignore the trend, culture and philosophy.

So while Nonis may keep certain American players he's married to, I expect a Chiarelli-like change over the next few seasons that will crystalize with Canadian dominance and only a half-dozen Swedes if one of them's a Naslund and two of the others are Sedins.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

10 teams missed Kopitar, and Bourdon passed away.

What is wrong with these players that played for the Canucks? Gillis certainly doesn't mind them, nor does he mind The Sedins and Kesler.

Roberto Luongo
Corey Schneider
Alex Edler
Alexandre Burrows Signed
Jannick Hansen
Mason Raymond
Brent Sopel
Willie Mitchell Signed

Prime Minister

Mar 30, 2011
Nunya business
This is me throwing out a random thought, but what if the head guys at MLSE actually know hockey? what if Nonis is a puppet but the guys controlling him know their stuff and can actually turn this team around? This can go either way and its one of those only time will tell type of situations, but as excited as I was with the next free agency and Burke going all out I think that Nonis can do some positive work for this franchise. I think most people that follow hockey are aware that in this generation its really the youngsters that you need to hold on to in order to win a cup. Blackhawks cup run is proof, and I don't think the guys at MLSE are really that stupid and want to trade our Gardiner's for Selanne's. Although I am a little worried based on Nonis track record and some of his decisions back in Vancouver, I think he has the right management team to put it all together. Who knows, maybe Reimer wins the vezina this year?

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009

I fully agreed and lived through the 3 years of Nonis in Vancouver (or however long it was with him at the helm)... My Canuck fan buddies celebrated in the streets when Nonis was fired...and rightfully so. "Team full of plug-ins" is extremely accurate.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This trade deadline is going to be extremely interesting. If we're out of it, I can see a Nonis slashing and burning this roster down. I know Nonis said he wont do that now, but by April he may be ready to pull the plug. Wipe the slate clean.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
This trade deadline is going to be extremely interesting. If we're out of it, I can see a Nonis slashing and burning this roster down. I know Nonis said he wont do that now, but by April he may be ready to pull the plug. Wipe the slate clean.

I see Nonis stock piling picks if that's the case.. Like Grabo for a 1st type deals.

MapleLeafGardens*

Was Nonis the idiot Canucks GM who gave Luongo that ridiculous contract?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
The thing that stood out on HCAN (Hockey Central) was that Nonis said he wants to have size down the middle. Bozak is average, Grabo is small, Steckel is large, Mcclement I think is average could be wrong on that. IMO I think we're about to see an overhaul at centre position, I think a guy like Colborne is going to get a serious look at camp and I also think Nonis is going to inquire into prying a guy like Getzlaf from Anahiem.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
The thing that stood out on HCAN (Hockey Central) was that Nonis said he wants to have size down the middle. Bozak is average, Grabo is small, Steckel is large, Mcclement I think is average could be wrong on that. IMO I think we're about to see an overhaul at centre position, I think a guy like Colborne is going to get a serious look at camp and I also think Nonis is going to inquire into prying a guy like Getzlaf from Anahiem.

Colbourne has sucked for awhile now and did not get an invite to camp this year. Perhaps he's another Luca Caputi. All hype.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Nonis did a great job getting Luongo. And if rumors are true, he deserves a lot of credit for not bringing Richards to Vancouver for Kesler, Schnieder, and Edler.

He was miserable when it came to finding role players, and secondary scorers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad