The Day After - What we can expect from Dave Nonis

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Gillis is an overrated GM. The Ballard trade was horrendous.

He had his core assembled by Burke and Nonis and rode that wave a long ways. I think you'll see a rapid decline over the next few years. Kesler's best years are probably behind him due to injury, the Sedins arent getting any younger, they're trying to chase out the best goalie in franchise history and he signed one hit wonder Jason Garrison to that horrific contract. The Hodgson trade might really bite them, and sooner rather then later.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He had his core assembled by Burke and Nonis and rode that wave a long ways. I think you'll see a rapid decline over the next few years. Kesler's best years are probably behind him due to injury, the Sedins arent getting any younger, they're trying to chase out the best goalie in franchise history and he signed one hit wonder Jason Garrison to that horrific contract. The Hodgson trade might really bite them, and sooner rather then later.

It's biting them now because they are desperate for a 2nd line center due to Kesler's injury.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan

Kassian has the potential to develop into a really good player. The contract Leafs gave to Jason Blake was horrific, or even better Jeff Finger.

Vancouver's window for winning is declining. One aspect of your post I can agree with.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Vancouver will still be competitive for a playoff spot. Additionally couple young guys will get a chance to show what they have. Schroeder and Ebett.

No one said other wise, but the lack of depth might catch up.

Right now, they would have been a lot better off with Hodgson, given the circumstance, which is what I was refering to, not the Canucks success.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
Kassian has the potential to develop into a really good player. The contract Leafs gave to Jason Blake was horrific, or even better Jeff Finger.

Vancouver's window for winning is declining. One aspect of your post I can agree with.

Kassian is nothing special. It was a horrendous trade.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Notice to the Canucks....

"We will not be trading young players off our resource list..." We can deep six all the stupid Luongo rumours now as Dave represents temperance.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

JFJ (3 GMs ago) handed out Blakes contract. Fletcher gave out Fingers (2 GMs ago). Fail to see how that means anything in relation to our current management.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
After taking a night to calm down I feel good about Nonis. The only thing that worries me a bit is that I feel like he's not an Alpha male type like Burke. He lacks that same aggression and confidence imo that Burke carried himself with.

Brian Burke reminds me of a real-life Ron Swanson (from Parks & Recreation) in many ways. Dave Nonis is more of the quiet guy on the side. But I will give him a chance, he seems like a smart man and I bet he's learned a lot from working under Burke too.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
After taking a night to calm down I feel good about Nonis. The only thing that worries me a bit is that I feel like he's not an Alpha male type like Burke. He lacks that same aggression and confidence imo that Burke carried himself with.

Brian Burke reminds me of a real-life Ron Swanson (from Parks & Recreation) in many ways. Dave Nonis is more of the quiet guy on the side. But I will give him a chance, he seems like a smart man and I bet he's learned a lot from working under Burke too.

From what I heard today in various interviews Nonis holds his own quite well in negotiations. Hes not a pushover by any means.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
The only thing that worries me a bit is that I feel like he's not an Alpha male type like Burke. He lacks that same aggression and confidence imo that Burke carried himself with.

Well that type didn't help us to win any games, so hopefully Nonis' will.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Well that type didn't help us to win any games, so hopefully Nonis' will.

We've yet to even see the full extent of Burke's moves. If we make the playoffs this year or next, a lot of will be attributed to him.

From what I heard today in various interviews Nonis holds his own quite well in negotiations. Hes not a pushover by any means.

It's not so much about him being a pushover or "bending over" for others by any means, it's just the fact that he might lack the intestinal fortitude to go after the big-time moves or pull the trigger, kind of like Burke did. Burke needed a wheelbarrow to carry his balls, I don't really see that in Nonis. I am very happy with Nonis in the sense that I know he won't do anything Pejorative Slured a la JFJ or Holmgren, but at the same time, there's such thing as being too safe of a GM. But again, he seems like a reserved intelligent guy, if he can take a professional, Ken Holland type approach to being a GM, I have no complaints. Honestly I don't even know who I would replace Burke with other than him.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I fully agreed and lived through the 3 years of Nonis in Vancouver (or however long it was with him at the helm)... My Canuck fan buddies celebrated in the streets when Nonis was fired...and rightfully so. "Team full of plug-ins" is extremely accurate.

do you really think he's learned NOTHING the past 9 years?? give the guy a chance

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Burke's alpha-maleness probably isn't as big an advantage as you'd think. I think back to that nerd Dean Lombardi smugly drafting Brayden Schenn as a nice example of how people probably have a nice time sticking it to the blow hard.

binop7

Jul 4, 2011
I agree with that 100%, I was just referring to his aggressive personality type

Here's both a negative and positive of Burke that I see. He overvalued his roster. The negative here prevents him for trading Kadri+Kuli for Richards and thinking our team is better than it really is. But, the positive to this side is the sell job he likely can do to other GMs. I.e the Beauch for Lupul+Gardiner. In Burke's head he probably believed Beauchemin was worth that price tag.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Here's both a negative and positive of Burke that I see. He overvalued his roster. The negative here prevents him for trading Kadri+Kuli for Richards and thinking our team is better than it really is. But, the positive to this side is the sell job he likely can do to other GMs. I.e the Beauch for Lupul+Gardiner. In Burke's head he probably believed Beauchemin was worth that price tag.

He didn't trade Kadri and Kulemin for Carter, not Richards. Flyers never got back to him about Richards because they sent him to L.A.

But I agree about his trading skills. Kessel trade may not have worked out the best, but he made some pretty good other trades. Burke was always good at trading, he's in an elite class of his own when it comes to that.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
He didn't trade Kadri and Kulemin for Carter, not Richards. Flyers never got back to him about Richards because they sent him to L.A.

But I agree about his trading skills. Kessel trade may not have worked out the best, but he made some pretty good other trades. Burke was always good at trading, he's in an elite class of his own when it comes to that.

I dont understand why everyone keeps on saying this. Is it denial?

@DarrenDreger

Flyers asked for Kadri and Kulemin from the Leafs for Mike Richards. Toronto said they would consider it, but never heard back from Phi.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

He was worth that price tag. A solid two way Dman, leadership skills, cup ring, to a desperate team at the deadline to boot.

Lupul was a throw in, Burke wanted Beauch for Gardiner, Ducks forced Lupul on him because he was considered a cap dump that would alleviate losing a higher end prospect.

Don't forget that Lupul had played about 40 games in two seasons up to that point. He was an okay acquisition that turned into a fantastic one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->