The Dallas Stars are stacked up front

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Lol love seeing the doubters. I remember seeing some people pick them to get to the finals in the preseason predictions. Good for the stars! One more game to win!

Reactions: Riddum

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I've enjoyed watching them beat the Avalanche in that wildly entertaining series and while I thought Vegas would make short work of them, I'm continuing to enjoy Dallas' style of play and continued success. That said, I they don't seem stacked to me as just firing on all cylinders, next man up type thing.

Reactions: derriko

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Their series win against Vegas seems flukey... Vegas outshot them in 4/5 games, and the fifth they were tied in shots; every win for Dallas was a one goal win also. just seems lucky they won in 5.

Shots counts aren't everything. I would advise you to look at a shot map (try moneypuck.com) and you will see that Vegas was shooting a ton of low percentage shots from the perimeter and from the blueline. Stars system is designed to push teams to the outside and block shooting lanes.

Reactions: Leaves34

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
'Young' is relative....Jagr at 34 was 'young' because he put up 123 points.
None of these guys are even close to him in any way, shape or form. Jagr is a top 5 forward all time in the sport. None of these guys will ever be accused of being the same.

Reactions: Faterson

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Their series win against Vegas seems flukey... Vegas outshot them in 4/5 games, and the fifth they were tied in shots; every win for Dallas was a one goal win also. just seems lucky they won in 5.
Dallas are the kings of 1 goal victories. Nothing was flukey, Dallas just outplayed them regardless of the shot totals.

Reactions: Faterson

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

People keep saying this not realizing that that's Stars hockey. That is how they win games. If they beat Tampa in the finals, that's how they're gonna do it. It's not a "fluke", it's their style of play

Reactions: Saucechucker99

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Were they all higher quality shots than Dallas?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Dallas has been very good at limited the quality of their opponents shots. The other teams are getting lots of shots, but only through limited lanes, that Khudobin is able to watch. What I'm most impressed with is Dallas' patience and discipline. Most teams would open up their collapsing play once down 2-3 goals. Dallas sticks with the game plan and eventually gets goals.

No, they are not stacked up front though. Their leading scorer is a d-man. Their top forwards are Gurianov, Benn, and Pavelski.

Reactions: tellermine

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Their forwards are decent..but their strength is clearly the blue-line. Insanely talented. They and STL are very similarly built. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cup stay in the Central.

Nikki Potnick

Aug 26, 2020
Where the sun don't shine

People keep saying this not realizing that that's Stars hockey. That is how they win games. If they beat Tampa in the finals, that's how they're gonna do it. It's not a "fluke", it's their style of play

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
None of these guys are even close to him in any way, shape or form. Jagr is a top 5 forward all time in the sport. None of these guys will ever be accused of being the same.
Jagr is also a training junkie. That crazy story about him getting the keys to the gym from the janitor as soon as he arrived in a new town, just so he could be there anytime he wanted. His dedication to keeping his body in shape in his late 30s and 40s is incredible and something extremely few athletes have.

Saucechucker99

Feb 10, 2008
They are deep and solid throughout the lineup though I wouldn't say they are stacked. They are really tough team to beat if they score even two goals on you because of their goals against, which comes up big in playoff hockey.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

People need to realize that point shots and muffins into the crest are not hard to stop for a goalie.

Dallas boxes out the front of the net, limits high danger chances, and does not allow shots in the slot. Dallas gives up the perimeter of the ice, gives up the point shots, and allows teams to take as many weak scoring chances as they want. As Vegas found out, and most teams found out this season, you can put up 40 shots.. but you might get 2 goals out of it.

There is a reason Bishop and Khudobin were both top ten in SV% this season. The system.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
People need to realize that point shots and muffins into the crest are not hard to stop for a goalie.

Dallas boxes out the front of the net, limits high danger chances, and does not allow shots in the slot. Dallas gives up the perimeter of the ice, gives up the point shots, and allows teams to take as many weak scoring chances as they want. As Vegas found out, and most teams found out this season, you can put up 40 shots.. but you might get 2 goals out of it.

There is a reason Bishop and Khudobin were both top ten in SV% this season. The system.

Literally Washington's blueprint in 2018. Their Schmorsi was shit too

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Exactly.

And if Dallas can keep players like Point and Kucherov to the perimeters, Tampa (assuming they make through) is going to have a tough go of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad