Recalled/Assigned: The cuts are coming

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
The first one

The Senators made one roster move Saturday afternoon, sending defenceman Jorian Donovan, a fifth-round pick, back to the Ontario Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Right move to sens Tyler to the juniors over the AHL. A lot of missed development to catch up on.

Step 1..boost that offensive confidence by being a regular scoring threat every time you hit the ice.

Also gets the opportunity to showcase at the WJC.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They cut Thomson and kept JBD and Zaitsev. What? I know they have no offensive D men down there and he is going to run the PP but he has quite clearly been better than JBD. All the rest make sense.
Well they weren't going to cut Zaitsev given his contract at this point, that was pretty clear, and they've been playing JBD in tougher mins than Thomson, they seem to trust him more defensively.

I thought Thomson had an alright game but didn't find he really stood out, I'm not surprised he got cut.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well they weren't going to cut Zaitsev given his contract at this point, that was pretty clear, and they've been playing JBD in tougher mins than Thomson, they seem to trust him more defensively.

I thought Thomson had an alright game but didn't find he really stood out, I'm not surprised he got cut.
JBD was horrible on Friday so comparably speaking to Thomsons game I was surprised. Just see way more potential in Thomsom. However that could also be why he was sent down. He would benefit from the minutes more in Bellville as he has much more upside.

Touche about Zaitsev. I just don't want to see him.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JBD was horrible on Friday so comparably speaking to Thomsons game I was surprised. Just see way more potential in Thomsom. However that could also be why he was sent down. He would benefit from the minutes more in Bellville as he has much more upside.

The whole team was horrible on Friday but yeah JBD did struggle his last game while Thomson was fine.

Agree about Zaitsev but regrettably it's wishful thinking.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

I thought Thomson was bad last night as was JBD Friday. I’d start both in Belleville. Zaitsev needs to be waived and then sent down. Keep Larson as the 7th.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought Thomson was bad last night as was JBD Friday. I’d start both in Belleville. Zaitsev needs to be waived and then sent down. Keep Larson as the 7th.
I just found I almost never noticed Thomson, almost forgot he was playing at some points but I wasn't looking for him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't know.... JBD was getting burned and turning over pucks. Thomsom was having a positive impact. Don't think the performances were anything alike. Any specific plays you'd like to point out?

I just found I almost never noticed Thomson, almost forgot he was playing at some points but I wasn't looking for him.
That's a good thing. That's what you want from your depth d men. He jumped into the play and got some shots through.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
His positioning in the defensive zone is questionable and he has trouble reading the play. His mobility helps him and he might survive at the NHL level but he’s not in our top 6.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don't know.... JBD was getting burned and turning over pucks. Thomsom was having a positive impact. Don't think the performances were anything alike. Any specific plays you'd like to point out?

That's a good thing. That's what you want from your depth d men. He jumped into the play and got some shots through.
Honestly I’d need to know how to clip videos but to summarize he winds up in no man’s land a lot, seems to be unsure of where to go and thinks rather than reacts.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Right, which is why I said he looked fine, nothing flashy but no glaring mistakes is a good thing at this stage, but I wasn't really focused on how he was positioned or read the play, so I wouldn't really take any strong sfances on how he played myself.

JBD's first game, I watched him closely and saw him doing a lot of the little things that matter, he was also really effective shutting guys down at the blue line and as they on the rush. He still needs to get stronger but he's improved in that regard compared to last year. In his last game though, the system was constantly breaking down and he struggled as a result.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Right, which is why I said he looked fine, nothing flashy but no glaring mistakes is a good thing at this stage, but I wasn't really focused on how he was positioned or read the play, so I wouldn't really take any strong sfances on how he played myself.

JBD's first game, I watched him closely and saw him doing a lot of the little things that matter, he was also really effective shutting guys down at the blue line and as they on the rush. He still needs to get stronger but he's improved in that regard compared to last year. In his last game though, the system was constantly breaking down and he struggled as a result.
See that's where I think Thomson is much better from a defensive stand point. His gap control is way better mostly due to his mobility. He defends off the rush really well. He is also better at breaking the puck out. Now I think there is an argument that JBD is better at shot blocking and defensive zone positioning. But these are teachable traits. Again maybe another reason Thomson was sent down. The NHL is not a development league so maybe they just feel he needs more coaching and opportunity as a number 1 guy.

The thing about JBD for me is he is small, not fast, borderline slow and isn't strong. How can that skill set be in a shut down role? Too many weaknesses. For example Holden isn't fast, but atleast he is big. So he can close down lanes and win one on one battles with his reach and length. I hope JBD proves me wrong but I just don't see how it works unless he gets faster or stronger.

Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Thomson and JBD are the same height and weight, Thompson chases the puck and gets out of position, JBD seems like a smarter player and in the right position, but neither is ready for full time yet.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
See that's where I think Thomson is much better from a defensive stand point. His gap control is way better mostly due to his mobility. He defends off the rush really well. He is also better at breaking the puck out. Now I think there is an argument that JBD is better at shot blocking and defensive zone positioning. But these are teachable traits. Again maybe another reason Thomson was sent down. The NHL is not a development league so maybe they just feel he needs more coaching and opportunity as a number 1 guy.

The thing about JBD for me is he is small, not fast, borderline slow and isn't strong. How can that skill set be in a shut down role? Too many weaknesses. For example Holden isn't fast, but atleast he is big. So he can close down lanes and win one on one battles with his reach and length. I hope JBD proves me wrong but I just don't see how it works unless he gets faster or stronger.
He's pretty much the same size as Thomson, just a hair taller if anything, and while Thomson is a better skater, JBD is still pretty fluid on his skates with very good lateral mobility and controls the gaps very well, sometimes I feel like we're watching different players as I don't get the sense JBD is borderline slow at all.

Reactions: jbeck5

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He's pretty much the same size as Thomson, just a hair taller if anything, and while Thomson is a better skater, JBD is still pretty fluid on his skates with very good lateral mobility and controls the gaps very well, sometimes I feel like we're watching different players as I don't get the sense JBD is borderline slow at all.
JBD looks smaller and doesn't have the first steps to catch up or separate that Thomson has. Anyway I think that JBD is safer with less upside. It makes sense as to why Thomson was sent down at this point. I don't think their upsides are close.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have been cheering for Sokolov as he seems like a great kid, but there's no sugarcoating it - he has had a dud of a camp. He's not scoring, and his skating hasn't taken the jump you would have hoped. He had better get it together in a hurry in Belleville, as this is a critical year for him. He either starts knocking on the door to be an NHL player, or he starts getting passed on the depth chart...

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Only surprising cut is Crookshank.
He certainly shows some promise. I guess they want to give him more time given his injury last year but I think they have Kelly penned in on that 4th line to start. Hopefully he can have a great start in Belleville. Good prospect.

JBD looks smaller and doesn't have the first steps to catch up or separate that Thomson has. Anyway I think that JBD is safer with less upside. It makes sense as to why Thomson was sent down at this point. I don't think their upsides are close.
They will probably play pretty opposite roles in Belleville. I think its safe to say neither could replace Zub anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad