Recalled/Assigned: The cuts are coming

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't listen to TSN1200. Can't say I'm familiar with whomever they have there. Perhaps its a U.S. versus Canada thing - not sure. Is it just media guys?

I do listen to those Wally & Methot podcasts though. Never heard that, but perhaps I missed a podcast. I've caught every Senators game this offseason. Even though the games are covered by the ESPN+ service, they just rebroadcast the Sportsnet or whomever is the original Canadian broadcaster. I don't recall them saying that JBD has played better, or that he has won the #6 spot so far.

I'm hoping that both players play well and are able to graduate. I don't really have a dog in this fight. From what I've seen, neither player has been super convincing so far, and both have made some mistakes. If anything, I think its Brannstrom that's stepping up and being more noticeable. Having some ELCs on defense (goal, wherever) will help us meet cap next year.

People seem to have their opinions and minds made up it seems here. They formulate an opinion and then look for evidence to support it. Brannstrom in particular is a bit of a lightning rod when it comes to that.
For what it's worth, I think I heard something similar (JBD being ahead of Thomson) on the TSN1200 pregame show. Not sure if it was Lloyd or JR or one of there guests though. That was a few days before Thomson got cut, so perhaps they got that from talking to people in the know.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Tsn 1200...also I think Wally and methot on their last episode. I'll have to double check the latter, but I can't give you a link for radio guys. I may have heard it during an intermission too as it's been multiple times, and it was my first week at a new job, so I've been multi tasking at times and don't exactly remember where. If I find a link though, I'll make sure to send it your way!

For what it's worth, I think I heard something similar (JBD being ahead of Thomson) on the TSN1200 pregame show. Not sure if it was Lloyd or JR or one of there guests though. That was a few days before Thomson got cut, so perhaps they got that from talking to people in the know.
Okay thanks.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
This is how the D should look to start the season:

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Brannstrom - Holden
Larsson

Zaitsev goes to MDZ island.

But in reality, I guess they'll find a way to keep Zaitsev in Ottawa. Besides he's one injury away from being back in the top 7 anyway. JBD and Thomson better hurry up and pass him on the depth chart!

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
This is how the D should look to start the season:

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Brannstrom - Holden
Larsson

Zaitsev goes to MDZ island.

But in reality, I guess they'll find a way to keep Zaitsev in Ottawa. Besides he's one injury away from being back in the top 7 anyway. JBD and Thomson better hurry up and pass him on the depth chart!

JBD and Thomson have passed him skill wise

its because of the contract situations that they wouldnt be playing over zaistev

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't listen to TSN1200. Can't say I'm familiar with whomever they have there. Perhaps its a U.S. versus Canada thing - not sure. Is it just media guys?

I do listen to those Wally & Methot podcasts though. Never heard that, but perhaps I missed a podcast. I've caught every Senators game this offseason. Even though the games are covered by the ESPN+ service, they just rebroadcast the Sportsnet or whomever is the original Canadian broadcaster. I don't recall them saying that JBD has played better, or that he has won the #6 spot so far.

I'm hoping that both players play well and are able to graduate. I don't really have a dog in this fight. From what I've seen, neither player has been super convincing so far, and both have made some mistakes. If anything, I think its Brannstrom that's stepping up and being more noticeable. Having some ELCs on defense (goal, wherever) will help us meet cap next year.

People seem to have their opinions and minds made up it seems here. They formulate an opinion and then look for evidence to support it. Brannstrom in particular is a bit of a lightning rod when it comes to that.

Sorry, I meant to say I heard them saying he's currently leading for the #6 spot...not that he's won it already.

I'd personally give it to brannstrom. That game Saturday was better than either Thomson or JBD are capable of.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sorry, I meant to say I heard them saying he's currently leading for the #6 spot...not that he's won it already.

I'd personally give it to brannstrom. That game Saturday was better than either Thomson or JBD are capable of.

Brannstrom was great but I’m not sure one good performance is enough to lock up the job. It might give him the edge but he has to continue. That said he was playing with a lot of confidence so maybe it’s a turning point where he is able to bring that type of performance with consistency.

Reactions: aragorn

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm more likely to be picked up on waivers than Zaitsev is.
This deserves all the likes. ;-)

I don't think we could get anyone to take Zaitsev even we retained 50%. We'd have to attach a decent pick, and that makes no sense because he is not a cap problem for us at present. All we can do is bury him in Belleville or here in the press box. We'll probably buy him out next summer, not that there are any savings in that due to his signing bonus...

Reactions: DrEasy

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's under contract with the sens which means they loaned him correct?

I'm surprised if turning pro was a big deal for him that they didn't put him in the ECHL like they did with mandolese.

You would think that being the starter for a pro north American team would prep him more than being a backup to a finish pro league.

He's get used to heavier net presence and more action.
Good question as to what might be better for him - ECHL or Liiga. I have heard some question the quality of play in the ECHL at times, and you'll notice that it is awfully rare for a guy to make it out of the ECHL to become an NHL regular. (Last one I remember was Alex Burrows.)

I think at least part of this is making a player happy and doing right by him. A 20 year old Finnish player probably wouldn't be very happy buried in an ECHL city. Now, at least he is happy and close to home, and it's on him to continue his development. Basically, it's a competition between him and Mandolese for the next spot in the organization's goalie depth chart, and currently Mando has a leg up by being in the AHL...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Good question as to what might be better for him - ECHL or Liiga. I have heard some question the quality of play in the ECHL at times, and you'll notice that it is awfully rare for a guy to make it out of the ECHL to become an NHL regular. (Last one I remember was Alex Burrows.)

I think at least part of this is making a player happy and doing right by him. A 20 year old Finnish player probably wouldn't be very happy buried in an ECHL city. Now, at least he is happy and close to home, and it's on him to continue his development. Basically, it's a competition between him and Mandolese for the next spot in the organization's goalie depth chart, and currently Mando has a leg up by being in the AHL...
Different for goalies than players.

A player in the ECHL isn't very often a legit NHL prospect, barring a few guys. Bunting, Liljgren, Clifford all spent time int he ECHL, Verhaghe, F. Gaudreau, Weegar, Marchment are a few guys who spent time in the ECHL before jumping into the NHL recently.

Lots of goalies making the NHL have had stints in the ECHL, as playing time is more important than the leagues.

Vitek Vanecek, Scott Darling, Mike Condon, Garrett Sparkes, Peter Mrazek, Mike Hutchinson, Jack Campbell, Jordan Binnington, Casey Desmith, Cam Talbot, are just a few of the guys in the league who've played games int he ECHL over the past decade or so.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Different for goalies than players.

A player in the ECHL isn't very often a legit NHL prospect, barring a few guys. Bunting, Liljgren, Clifford all spent time int he ECHL, Verhaghe, F. Gaudreau, Weegar, Marchment are a few guys who spent time in the ECHL before jumping into the NHL recently.

Lots of goalies making the NHL have had stints in the ECHL, as playing time is more important than the leagues.

Vitek Vanecek, Scott Darling, Mike Condon, Garrett Sparkes, Peter Mrazek, Mike Hutchinson, Jack Campbell, Jordan Binnington, Casey Desmith, Cam Talbot, are just a few of the guys in the league who've played games int he ECHL over the past decade or so.
Good point on the goalies and the ECHL. I view it the same way for overagers in junior - I think it's OK for a goalie prospect to do an overage year in junior, and in fact I'd like to see the CHL give an exemption to teams that would allow them to use an overage goalie without it counting towards their total. Goalie development is definitely different, and takes longer.

At the end of the day, this is on the player himself. How badly do you want to play in the NHL? Are you willing to do whatever it takes to get there? Only he can answer that one...

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Okay thanks.

Yeah heard it again on tsn1200 this morning where I they thought JBD was ahead last week but then realize he had a poor showing Friday which may have changed things...or I guess evidently not..but you would think brannstroms game gave him the inside track over JBD.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Yeah heard it again on tsn1200 this morning where I they thought JBD was ahead last week but then realize he had a poor showing Friday which may have changed things...or I guess evidently not..but you would think brannstroms game gave him the inside track over JBD.
Haven't really listened to TSN1200 very much other than maybe if there was link in here to a broadcast. Have searched just recently and gave it a listen. Seems mostly like media guys talking which is OK I guess, but doesn't mean as much to me as other sources of info can be. Maybe they are dialed in to good sources within the Sens organization - who knows (I can't comment on that).

Having said all of this, its a moot point now given that Thomson has been returned to the AHL and JBD still hasn't been cut.

Anyhow, I appreciated the feedback. The Senators could use some of their prospects to graduate as ELC salaries will be very helpful to meet the $83.5 m cap next year. So, with this in mind, its not one young player versus another and but hoping that a bunch can graduate. It seems like some haven't really put their heads around the cap situation next year, but that's another topic.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Zaitsev is willing to play in Belleville (I assume he still gets his NHL pay down there), that might be a very good thing for the organization as a whole. While he is barely NHL calibre, he is definitely capable of playing a role in Belleville and solidifying the blueline there. Question is, will he play in Belleville?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If Zaitsev is willing to play in Belleville (I assume he still gets his NHL pay down there), that might be a very good thing for the organization as a whole. While he is barely NHL calibre, he is definitely capable of playing a role in Belleville and solidifying the blueline there. Question is, will he play in Belleville?
He doesn't play in Belleville, he gets suspended and doesn't get paid. That won't happen. Wade Redden swallowed his pride and went to the AHL towards the end of his career to ensure that the $6 million per still arrived in his bank account. Zaitsev will do the same. He could go home to the KHL right away, but he would take massive pay cut to do so. My guess is that he gets bought out next summer, and then heads home to the KHL...

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He doesn't play in Belleville, he gets suspended and doesn't get paid. That won't happen. Wade Redden swallowed his pride and went to the AHL towards the end of his career to ensure that the $6 million per still arrived in his bank account. Zaitsev will do the same. He could go home to the KHL right away, but he would take massive pay cut to do so. My guess is that he gets bought out next summer, and then heads home to the KHL...
There is zero advantage to buying out Zaitsev next summer. It saves about 800K. You move him with a 2nd round pick after his bonus is paid.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario

I wonder if there would be precedent for the team to suspend him without pay if he decided not to play in Belleville...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
There is zero advantage to buying out Zaitsev next summer. It saves about 800K. You move him with a 2nd round pick after his bonus is paid.
I know that there is very little savings due to his bonus situation. I viewed it as an opportunity to just move the player out of the organization and clear the decks. I also don't want to give up a 2nd if we don't have to - that's an asset we need to restock the prospect pool.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Haven't really listened to TSN1200 very much other than maybe if there was link in here to a broadcast. Have searched just recently and gave it a listen. Seems mostly like media guys talking which is OK I guess, but doesn't mean as much to me as other sources of info can be. Maybe they are dialed in to good sources within the Sens organization - who knows (I can't comment on that).

Having said all of this, its a moot point now given that Thomson has been returned to the AHL and JBD still hasn't been cut.

Anyhow, I appreciated the feedback. The Senators could use some of their prospects to graduate as ELC salaries will be very helpful to meet the $83.5 m cap next year. So, with this in mind, its not one young player versus another and but hoping that a bunch can graduate. It seems like some haven't really put their heads around the cap situation next year, but that's another topic.

For sure. That's why I said "experts" in brackets. They're just people being paid to talk about the team. Doesn't mean they're right.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I know that there is very little savings due to his bonus situation. I viewed it as an opportunity to just move the player out of the organization and clear the decks. I also don't want to give up a 2nd if we don't have to - that's an asset we need to restock the prospect pool.
Cap space is at a premium

Reactions: Golden_Jet

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
For sure. That's why I said "experts" in brackets. They're just people being paid to talk about the team. Doesn't mean they're right.
Ah OK. It is a moot point now as I mentioned. Thomson is going back to the AHL while JBD is still on the roster ...... at least, for now.

Reactions: jbeck5

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I've no idea what Zaitsev's status is in Canada but if it's a work permit, he's at risk of been deported if he isn't working and I imagine going back to Russia is not a good idea right now. No way he doesn’t report if he's sent there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad