Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sbisa/Miller/Prust/Vey are literally $13 million in replacement level garbage that could easily be replaced by 4 journeymen making the league minimum. Or young players with upside.

Sutter is at least a useful player, but is again a huge waste of assets and money.

This may be the most mind boggling situation in Vancouver. As you say, 4 NHL journeymen, four of the prospects, or any combination of the two could easily step into these guys' spots. However, the contracts extended to these guys make them roster anchors that no sane NHL GM would even consider dealing for.

Many suggested rosters leaving these guys out look better than what the Canucks will definitely ice. Everyone knows, no matter what they wish, that new talent will not be inserted into the lineup ahead of these guys. How long will Linden stand pat or is he a dimwit and likes this setup as well? If that's true, how long will Aquaman stand for the clown show before he personally blows it up?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Again, the line number is irrelevant. Sutter will get 10-12 minutes even strength and be out there for every kill and probably a bit on PP2.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what happens next if Vey does well with these guys tonight, however low those odds are.

How does that roster help anyone but Linden Vey?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This may be the most mind boggling situation in Vancouver. As you say, 4 NHL journeymen, four of the prospects, or any combination of the two could easily step into these guys' spots. However, the contracts extended to these guys make them roster anchors that no sane NHL GM would even consider dealing for.

Many suggested rosters leaving these guys out look better than what the Canucks will definitely ice. Everyone knows, no matter what they wish, that new talent will not be inserted into the lineup ahead of these guys. How long will Linden stand pat or is he a dimwit and likes this setup as well? If that's true, how long will Aquaman stand for the clown show before he personally blows it up?

It really is utterly astonishing that you can take those four players, who have been targeted acquisitions by this administration over the past year at a cost of $13 million + substantial assets, out of the starting lineup to be replaced by middling prospects and waiver claims/PTOs and our team actually looks better.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Sure, Vey wouldn't be in my top 12 either. But if he is there and the lines end up:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins/replacement-Horvat-Hansen
Baertschi-Vey-Vrbata
Prust-Sutter-Dorsett

Then I don't think it's a big deal. The order I list them is irrelevant, those lines are going to be rolled and the ice time discrepancies will be in who is on the PP and PK units.

Prust-Sutter-Dorsett

Wow! What an incredibly expensive worthless line. No GM in the NHL would ice this line; an offensive nightmare and a defensive cluster ****.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

This is the thing. I can get behind maybe playing players in different spots to where I'd play them if the overall effect is a more effective team. But that typically means you are dealing with nearly equivalent players and just finding spots where everything works best (sounds like the Benning strategy in a way except it doesn't pigeon hole players into a specific role...it's adjustable). Putting line numbers on a line centered by Sutter and one by Horvat may not mean too much because there is some tangible reasons why you may play one over the other. Putting a line number on where Vey plays does mean something because I see few arguments as to why he is anything but a guy you put through waivers and have a call up or is a 13th forward.

Quite frankly with Vey, he ended the year so far behind everyone else in terms of effectiveness the nearly equivalent player thing doesn't fit. Nothing I've read or seen suggests he is a tangibly different player than he was the day the canucks were eliminated.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

I am working under the premise that the team wants Vey in the top 12, don't confuse that with the premise that I want him there. Given that, having him played on a line with skilled players as opposed to Prust/Dorsett makes sense.

Just trying to flesh out the rest of the lineup under the small chance that line is a success. Maybe it's just easier to hope it fails, that seems to be the norm around here.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Worse case scenario Sven-Vey-Vrbata combines for 9 point 3 points each=Horvat fourth line centre confirmed

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is the thing. I can get behind maybe playing players in different spots to where I'd play them if the overall effect is a more effective team. But that typically means you are dealing with nearly equivalent players and just finding spots where everything works best (sounds like the Benning strategy in a way except it doesn't pigeon hole players into a specific role...it's adjustable). Putting line numbers on a line centered by Sutter and one by Horvat may not mean too much because there is some tangible reasons why you may play one over the other. Putting a line number on where Vey plays does mean something because I see few arguments as to why he is anything but a guy you put through waivers and have a call up or is a 13th forward.

Quite frankly with Vey, he ended the year so far behind everyone else in terms of effectiveness the nearly equivalent player thing doesn't fit. Nothing I've read or seen suggests he is a tangibly different player than he was the day the canucks were eliminated.

Absolutely agreed on that last paragraph, which is where I hope we are heading. I cannot figure out why they haven't done something else yet as a center option, whether it's Gaunce, Grenier, Prust.. all of whom have at least a little history there.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Lines from Twitter;

Of note - Sutter not skating with Baertschi and Vrbata. Although Vey is hardly an upgrade.

McCann getting an interesting look on a possible checking line with Sutter and Burrows is also intriguing.

EDIT:

D-Pairs;

I actually like that. At this point, I almost want them to put Vey in the top six to start the season and basically see what he does for 5-10 games. If he falls flat on his face, then bench him and let McCann, Virtanen or Kenins run with their opportunity. While I'm not at all stoked about Vey, we're setting him up to fail if he gets paired with Dorsett and Prust.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
The reason I like the Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen line combo, particularly during the pre-season, is because cycling, and offensive zone awareness overall, is Virtanen's weakest aspect as an offensive player, at least IMO. If there's anyone that can help him improve in that aspect, it's the Sedins. If Virtanen could absorb even a minute fraction of their spatial awareness, he becomes a 10x more effective player. Now, that aspect will probably never be a strength of Virtanen's, but if working and playing with the Sedins can get him to a place where his immense physical gifts aren't hindered, you've got a scary dangerous player.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It really is utterly astonishing that you can take those four players, who have been targeted acquisitions by this administration over the past year at a cost of $13 million + substantial assets, out of the starting lineup to be replaced by middling prospects and waiver claims/PTOs and our team actually looks better.

Actually if you do the math....according to my calculations the 'Nucks have more than $16m a season tied up in Miller, Prust, Dorsett and Sutter...and throw in Sbisa for good measure and the total is almost $20m....how scary is that?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Prust-Sutter-Dorsett

Wow! What an incredibly expensive worthless line. No GM in the NHL would ice this line; an offensive nightmare and a defensive cluster ****.

This is hyperbolic garbage. All of these guys are drastically overpaid, but they are all capable NHLers and would be just fine.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Apparently 120 powerplay minutes weren't enough for Vey last year. Need to get him into more offensive situations than two full games worth of powerplay time (mostly with the first unit). I mean who cares about the other players and their powerplay time, the success of this club lies on the frail back of Linden Vey who must succeed at all costs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I am working under the premise that the team wants Vey in the top 12, don't confuse that with the premise that I want him there. Given that, having him played on a line with skilled players as opposed to Prust/Dorsett makes sense.

Just trying to flesh out the rest of the lineup under the small chance that line is a success. Maybe it's just easier to hope it fails, that seems to be the norm around here.

I get that you're doing that ... but again, that helps nobody but Linden Vey. Literally every other forward on the bottom 3 lines is put in a sub-optimal situation in order to put Vey in a terrific one. If our coaches do this ... I don't even know what to say.

If you put Sbisa with Chris Tanev and played them in soft 2nd/3rd pairing minutes, and gave Sbisa #1 PP time all year, you could probably artificially manipulate a decent-looking 30-point season on paper for him. At the expense of wasting Tanev, destroying our shutdown pairing, and deep-sixing our PP.

Actually if you do the math....according to my calculations the 'Nucks have more than $16m a season tied up in Miller, Prust, Dorsett and Sutter...and throw in Sbisa for good measure and the total is almost $20m....how scary is that?

Dorsett is actually a useful player, if on a poor contract. The 4 I listed are just total garbage with no redeeming value.

But yeah, the amount of waste is mind-boggling.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Funny, all three of those guys are Bennings guys, and either come with a bloated contract or high cost asset wise. What a train wreck of a fourth line they'll be. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I just have a feeling that that will be our fourth line on opening night.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Apparently 120 powerplay minutes weren't enough for Vey last year. Need to get him into more offensive situations than two full games worth of powerplay time (mostly with the first unit). I mean who cares about the other players and their powerplay time, the success of this club lies on the frail back of Linden Vey who must succeed at all costs.

It's pretty hilarious that, after watching him fail with 38 minutes of icetime and scads of PP time in his first two games, their conclusion was 'needs more opportunity!'

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Linden Vey, stop giving this garbage man so many damn chances, he's an absolutely terrible NHL level player, just dump him and give the kids another roster spot to compete for ffs.

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
Baertschi / Horvat / Vrbata
Gaunce / Sutter / Hansen
Kennis / McCann / Virtanen

dorsett, prust and vey need to **** off

Last edited by a moderator:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Linden Vey, stop giving this garbage man so many damn chances, he's an absolutely terrible NHL level player, just dump him and give the kids another roster spot to compete for ffs.

Sedin / Sedin / Burrows
Baertschi / Horvat / Vrbata
Gaunce / Sutter / Hansen
Kennis / McCann / Virtanen

dorsett, prust and vey need to **** off

In theory your line up is a good idea but that line would get eaten up Defensively and we'd ruin are young guns confidence

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This is hyperbolic garbage. All of these guys are drastically overpaid, but they are all capable NHLers and would be just fine.

I'm not buying it. Prust is on his last legs. Sutter hasn't played with anyone that didn't regress. Dorsett is an energy guy who runs around like a chicken with his head cut off wasting his energy and thus often out of position defensively. Prust and Dorsett may each be fine with two other players, but this line together doesn't stack up as a line most teams would seek to put out on the ice together especially at their contract cost to a franchise. Not many (if any) GMs would trade their current 4th lines for this one.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
JESUS ! THAT IS BEAUTIFUL.

Also... McCann best be playing in this game. Put him on the wing as a Higgins replacement with Horvat.

McCann, Horvat, Hansen

McCann, Horvat, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, McCann ... this could be a 2nd line? I mean, if McCann outproduces Baertchi it wouldn't be too crazy.

Supposedly here are the lines via Jon Abbot tweet i have no idea how to make show here properly.

22-33-Virtanen
McCann-21-14/
47-7-17/
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier
D' 2-26/5-6/Hutton-Fedun
G' Markstrom the distance
#Canucks #TSN1040

So

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
McCann-Sutter-Burrows
Baerstchi-Vey-Vrbata (odd line)
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier

Hamhuis-Corrado
Pizza-Weber
Hutton-Fedun

Markstrom for the whole Game.

2nd and 3rd line are pretty odd. I would rather see them trying Vey on the wing than McCann. McCann has the vision and hockey smarts to be a NHL center, Vey not so much.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Supposedly here are the lines via Jon Abbot tweet i have no idea how to make show here properly.

22-33-Virtanen
McCann-21-14/
47-7-17/
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier
D' 2-26/5-6/Hutton-Fedun
G' Markstrom the distance
#Canucks #TSN1040

So

Sedin-Sedin-Virtanen
McCann-Sutter-Burrows
Baerstchi-Vey-Vrbata (odd line)
Kenins-Cracknell-Grenier

Hamhuis-Corrado
Pizza-Weber
Hutton-Fedun

Markstrom for the whole Game.

2nd and 3rd line are pretty odd. I would rather see them trying Vey on the wing than McCann. McCann has the vision and hockey smarts to be a NHL center, Vey not so much.

Maybe they want to see if another offensive minded player on LW doesn't excel with Mr. Sutter.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I get that you're doing that ... but again, that helps nobody but Linden Vey. Literally every other forward on the bottom 3 lines is put in a sub-optimal situation in order to put Vey in a terrific one. If our coaches do this ... I don't even know what to say.

If you put Sbisa with Chris Tanev and played them in soft 2nd/3rd pairing minutes, and gave Sbisa #1 PP time all year, you could probably artificially manipulate a decent-looking 30-point season on paper for him. At the expense of wasting Tanev, destroying our shutdown pairing, and deep-sixing our PP.

The fact they are putting that line out there tonight shows they are considering doing just that though.

It may seem ridiculous, but we are possibly a few hours away from seeing a huge mess develop because if this line works tonight it is going to be a domino effect in the lineup. It's not like they are going to step away from it anytime soon if it works tonight.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
The fact they are putting that line out there tonight shows they are considering doing just that though.

It may seem ridiculous, but we are possibly a few hours away from seeing a huge mess develop because if this line works tonight it is going to be a domino effect in the lineup. It's not like they are going to step away from it anytime soon if it works tonight.

Nope. If it works Slick Willie will have that be the second line no matter what. Vey is his guy to the end. MHT 4life yo.:yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad