The Coyotes have been eliminated. Now what?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
^^If you're tired of watching quality hockey, our 40+ playoffs are going on over at AZ Ice Gilbert tonight :laugh:
Like DOM. He's got a provisional, temporary visitor's pass to deep Gilbert. If he wants permanent resident status, he'll have to change his name to Clean Old Man and reapply during the application window, with a letter of recommendation from a deep Gilbert resident like me.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I happen to know you've never been to deep gilbert. I'd have seen your name on the guest list.

Like DOM. He's got a provisional, temporary visitor's pass to deep Gilbert. If he wants permanent resident status, he'll have to change his name to Clean Old Man and reapply during the application window, with a letter of recommendation from a deep Gilbert resident like me.

TqbIVO6.gif

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Budget will go up regardless if the floor goes up.

We have two ties to Tavares. One, his skating coach is employed by the Coyotes. Two, Barroway, who is sure to have met JT when he previously tried to buy the Isles.

Get the arena sorted before July 1 and I think you could make a case.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida

Would you consider Val Vista and Warner deep Gilbert? I once lived there for 8 years and went to Mesquite High School from 2000 to 2004.

Reactions: CC96

RABBIT

I'd be willing to do 4 x 4 if it meant we were keeping him. If we offered 3.25m for 3-4 years and he said he'd consider it, but will explore other options first, chances are teams like NYI or CAR will beat that offer. I don't want to start over with this goalie search nonsense. We have depth in goaltending right now, don't blow it by being stingy. He's a good goalie and a good teammate.

It's not like we're emulating a Smith contract, and many teams have done worse. 4 x 4 will be an easier pill to swallow than losing him to someone else for 500k-750k where he continues his current success while we scramble and hope Kuemper is really ready to be a number one goalie, potentially putting us in the same position we are now in just a year and a half from now...Or failing miserably and having to start all over. Sign him.

Reactions: rt

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Whoops! Thought we were talking about JVR. Nevermind me.
Lol, I did quote a post from a few days back.

I see your point @RABBIT, I don't want to restart the goalie search either, but I also don't want to pay a goalie who's going to be hurt for half the year for 4 years. 4 a year isn't crippling, but for a team that will always have a budget, it's a lot to potentially waste. I'm not sure signing him is a mistake necessarily, but I'd hate to get out of a bad goalie contract only to get into another one. I'd love to re-sign him for less term and a little more $, but if that's not an option it's a really tough call

Reactions: RABBIT

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
4 x 4 will be an easier pill to swallow than losing him to someone else for 500k-750k where he continues his current success while we scramble and hope Kuemper is really ready to be a number one goalie said:
This is why we should have decided what he was worth and signed him or traded him so we wouldn't be in this spot. We're now in a position of being pressured to pay more just so we don't fail completely. Dumb to put us there.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Damn. I gotta remember to fix my doorbell camera. It’s supposed to point OUT, not in.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Lol, I did quote a post from a few days back.

I see your point @RABBIT, I don't want to restart the goalie search either, but I also don't want to pay a goalie who's going to be hurt for half the year for 4 years. 4 a year isn't crippling, but for a team that will always have a budget, it's a lot to potentially waste. I'm not sure signing him is a mistake necessarily, but I'd hate to get out of a bad goalie contract only to get into another one. I'd love to re-sign him for less term and a little more $, but if that's not an option it's a really tough call

I see your point about injury concerns, and yeah it's concerning to me too. But 4 million dollars is a a risk I'm willing to take as far as injury possibility. He's your starting goaltender, he's going to require a decent paycheck. At that point we just kind of have to hope for the best, if it doesn't work out and we have to bite the bullet on the 4 million. I think even for a budget team, that's doable. Plus it seems we will have one of the better backups in the league to fall back on if it ever does come to that.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the Coyotes budget will go up next year, based upon the statements of both Chayka and Barroway. Both say that we are building towards a perennial contender. They know that to make the step into the playoffs they will need to pay for higher end talent.

I believe we are only about $3 mil over the floor. If the cap increases $4-5 mil does the floor automatically go up as well?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I'd be willing to do 4 x 4 if it meant we were keeping him. If we offered 3.25m for 3-4 years and he said he'd consider it, but will explore other options first, chances are teams like NYI or CAR will beat that offer. I don't want to start over with this goalie search nonsense. We have depth in goaltending right now, don't blow it by being stingy. He's a good goalie and a good teammate.

It's not like we're emulating a Smith contract, and many teams have done worse. 4 x 4 will be an easier pill to swallow than losing him to someone else for 500k-750k where he continues his current success while we scramble and hope Kuemper is really ready to be a number one goalie, potentially putting us in the same position we are now in just a year and a half from now...Or failing miserably and having to start all over. Sign him.
For goalies, we have had the Bulin wall/Burke/Bryz/Smith/Griess/Duby/Raanta. It seems like picking up good goal tenders has not been a problem. I like Raanta but its not the end of the world if we don't sign him. We just have to pay market value, no need to negotiate out of fear or over pay. 4 by 4 is an over payment in term for sure, we won't have to do that at that rate, and nobody else will either.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I see your point about injury concerns, and yeah it's concerning to me too. But 4 million dollars is a a risk I'm willing to take as far as injury possibility. He's your starting goaltender, he's going to require a decent paycheck. At that point we just kind of have to hope for the best, if it doesn't work out and we have to bite the bullet on the 4 million. I think even for a budget team, that's doable. Plus it seems we will have one of the better backups in the league to fall back on if it ever does come to that.
Yeah at 4 it's not awful, I'm just really hesitant after our last big goalie deal. I really do like Raanta though.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah at 4 it's not awful, I'm just really hesitant after our last big goalie deal. I really do like Raanta though.

The only thing I'm scared of with contracts is NTC/NMC. That's the big gamble and worry, not the term or the cost, and that's what hamstrung us with Smith and Ribeiro. It may even end up being an issue with Goligoski and Demers, depending on their health and production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad