The Coyotes have been eliminated. Now what?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The "Tragic Number" has hit zero. There will be no Whiteout in Glendale for 2018. Consider this the "unofficial" premature off-season speculation thread. What should the Desert Dogs do to make the 2018-19 season better?
Sign OEL, Raanta. Win a lottery. Trade for top 2 C depth. Work with kids on training (make sure it's not all about bulking up). get Dylan Strome in figure skating (this will help with his power skating coach / I go back to a tv show they did where they paired ex hockey players with figure skaters on CBC and some interviews I caught after and they all said to a man that they couldn't believe how learning their edges improved their skating). Get Domi a shooting coach if he isn't moved to address C depth.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Domi has developed a mental issue regarding his shot. He’s like a pitcher who suddenly goes wild and can’t throw strikes anymore ala Rick Ankiel. He’s so sure that he’s going to blow a shot that he’s passing up great opportunities for illadvised passes. When there’s no pass, he’s squeezing his stick so damned hard when he does get a shot off that it’s high and wide every damn time. He needs a sports psychologist more than anything. Haha.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sign Raanta, extend OEL, keep the top 5 D core together. This will give us stability on the back end. As for a C, we need to pick up somebody better then Richardson. It would be great to grab an RNH, but I think that level player will be expensive. We would have to give up a Domi/Perlini or Fischer as part of a package maybe more to get a good C. Do we do that or hope DVO/Strome improve?

I actually think we keep most of the same roster and wait for our youth to improve outside of picking up a decent C. We get stability and improvement from within. All the changes last year hurt our continuity.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sign OEL, Raanta. Win a lottery. Trade for top 2 C depth. Work with kids on training (make sure it's not all about bulking up). get Dylan Strome in figure skating (this will help with his power skating coach / I go back to a tv show they did where they paired ex hockey players with figure skaters on CBC and some interviews I caught after and they all said to a man that they couldn't believe how learning their edges improved their skating). Get Domi a shooting coach if he isn't moved to address C depth.
If you’re trading for a top two C, where does Strome fit? Stepan cost a fortune to acquire. Not sure I have any appetite for paying those prices again, just so we can mothball a now figure skating Strome in the AHL until he demands a trade between double axels.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If you’re trading for a top two C, where does Strome fit? Stepan cost a fortune to acquire. Not sure I have any appetite for paying those prices again, just so we can mothball a now figure skating Strome in the AHL until he demands a trade between double axels.
Gives you options on how you roll him in. If it's easier to start him on the wing then u can do so. Truthfully the better question is what if Dvorak is ready to be that 2C next year. My viewpoint is you can't bank on Strome being that guy. If you do and he's not we have another wasted year and no shot at the playoffs if someone goes down for any extended period. The bandaid of using Domi at C this year was a prime example on why we need to strengthen this position.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sign Raanta, extend OEL, keep the top 5 D core together. This will give us stability on the back end. As for a C, we need to pick up somebody better then Richardson. It would be great to grab an RNH, but I think that level player will be expensive. We would have to give up a Domi/Perlini or Fischer as part of a package maybe more to get a good C. Do we do that or hope DVO/Strome improve?

I actually think we keep most of the same roster and wait for our youth to improve outside of picking up a decent C. We get stability and improvement from within. All the changes last year hurt our continuity.

Why would we give up Domi/Perlini/Fischer to pick up a 2C? That renders Strome pointless. If you want to trade for a 2C instead of a 3C, then Strome has to be part of the package going back.

The problem is Strome’s value is in the tank. Flip a coin on whether this is as low as it will ever go or whether it’s just going to get lower every single day until he’s a full blown bust.

We have two options to solve our C problem:

1. Trade secondary assets for a relatively cheap 3C as “Strome insurance”.

2. Trade Strome as part of a package as a full blow “Strome replacement/upgrade”.

I don’t think there’s a third option. You can’t do nothing and simply pencil Strome in again. That hasn’t worked out and we need to hedge our bets. You also can’t hang onto Strome and then trade a big pile of assets for a replacement. What’s the point of keeping Strome if you have Stepan, another Stepan level C, and Dvorak?

I suppose there is a thir, very convoluted “option”, which would be trade a big pile of assets for a Stepan level center in a Stepan like trade and then move Strome for a RD. That could work I suppose. A ton of stars would have to align.

rt

May 13, 2004
Gives you options on how you roll him in. If it's easier to start him on the wing then u can do so. Truthfully the better question is what if Dvorak is ready to be that 2C next year. My viewpoint is you can't bank on Strome being that guy. If you do and he's not we have another wasted year and no shot at the playoffs if someone goes down for any extended period. The bandaid of using Domi at C this year was a prime example on why we need to strengthen this position.
I agree the C problem needs addressed. Either pick up a Zack Smith style versatile bottom six C (kicking a field goal followed by an onside kick) or pick up a real upgrade but dump Strome in the process (Hail Mary fourth and goal).

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This organization can't afford to do anything of significance. Either the youth improves, or it's more of the same.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I agree. I just read an article about the Red Wings and Holland and how he preached that a rebuild takes patience and you build thru the draft. I know why we traded for Stepan, but losing that pick I believe will come back and haunt us for years.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. I just read an article about the Red Wings and Holland and how he preached that a rebuild takes patience and you build thru the draft. I know why we traded for Stepan, but losing that pick I believe will come back and haunt us for years.
If it was a stronger draft I would agree. There was no clear cut player at 7 though that is going to emerge as an impact player. Good players yes. Potentially as good as Stepan. What I saw was a list of 10 interchangeable names; many who were 2/3 tweeners. Given that we acquired a 1C (for us) and a 1G I understood the trade.

My biggest concern though is this years first given the strength of the D available and the status of our current blue line (assuming OEL extends). I see us doing a similar type Stepan move the lower our pick falls as we pass teams in final 10 games and lose lotteries.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree the C problem needs addressed. Either pick up a Zack Smith style versatile bottom six C (kicking a field goal followed by an onside kick) or pick up a real upgrade but dump Strome in the process (Hail Mary fourth and goal).

We need more top end talent not more bottom six. The kids have to improve in order for us to continue this rebuild. That's what a rebuild is.

This organization can't afford to do anything of significance. Either the youth improves, or it's more of the same.
Exactly. We traded our 7 OA last year for Stepan, and we are still in last place.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If it was a stronger draft I would agree. There was no clear cut player at 7 though that is going to emerge as an impact player. Good players yes. Potentially as good as Stepan. What I saw was a list of 10 interchangeable names; many who were 2/3 tweeners. Given that we acquired a 1C (for us) and a 1G I understood the trade.

My biggest concern though is this years first given the strength of the D available and the status of our current blue line (assuming OEL extends). I see us doing a similar type Stepan move the lower our pick falls as we pass teams in final 10 games and lose lotteries.
The Rangers took us to the cleaners again on that trade. They already had a rebuild planed for their team before the season started. If we were contending I see the trade as perfect sense, but for a rebuilding team, we need picks, especially high end picks, and more the better. We always won't be picking top ten. If Chayka trades our first round pick this year that will show panic and stupidity in my view.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The Rangers took us to the cleaners again on that trade. They already had a rebuild planed for their team before the season started. If we were contending I see the trade as perfect sense, but for a rebuilding team, we need picks, especially high end picks, and more the better. We always won't be picking top ten. If Chayka trades our first round pick this year that will show panic and stupidity in my view.
I think we did very well in that deal. Depends if we extend Raanta though.

Reactions: SniperHF

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If the Coyotes win the lottery and get Dahlin then the D is stacked and gives some freedom to potentially trade someone for help on O (Goligoski or a prospect like Dineen or Capobianco).

When the Coyotes miss out on the lottery to draft 4th or 5th (or 6th?) the player they select likely wont be ready to join the NHL roster. D stays largely intact but Chayka then needs to figure a way to land an impact forward. Maybe 2.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Daymond Langkow 2.0?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Daymond Langkow 2.0?

Can't compare trading the pick in potentially the greatest draft in terms of depth....ever!...to the draft last season.

2017 could end up being a sneaky good class, but I doubt it comes anywhere near 2003.

Reactions: hbk

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Who are the teams with key players coming up for renewal with expensive options as a 2/3 C who would be willing to make a strictly futures move? Tyler Johnson or JT Miller in Tampa? Who else?

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Why would we give up Domi/Perlini/Fischer to pick up a 2C? That renders Strome pointless. If you want to trade for a 2C instead of a 3C, then Strome has to be part of the package going back.

The problem is Strome’s value is in the tank. Flip a coin on whether this is as low as it will ever go or whether it’s just going to get lower every single day until he’s a full blown bust.

We have two options to solve our C problem:

1. Trade secondary assets for a relatively cheap 3C as “Strome insurance”.

2. Trade Strome as part of a package as a full blow “Strome replacement/upgrade”.

I don’t think there’s a third option. You can’t do nothing and simply pencil Strome in again. That hasn’t worked out and we need to hedge our bets. You also can’t hang onto Strome and then trade a big pile of assets for a replacement. What’s the point of keeping Strome if you have Stepan, another Stepan level C, and Dvorak?

I suppose there is a thir, very convoluted “option”, which would be trade a big pile of assets for a Stepan level center in a Stepan like trade and then move Strome for a RD. That could work I suppose. A ton of stars would have to align.
Strome has low value, don't see us getting much for him, we have to ride him out now and hope. I think the 2C would be expensive, and I agree, we need a 3c Strome insurance. We might catch somebody looking to unload cap like the Oilers maybe with RNH. i think he is over paid at 6 mill. I would move Domi straight up for him. That type of move, we move a winger where we have depth and take on an over paid C to fill in at 2C/3C. We moved Murphy for Hammer last year, that type of move might be out there. If it isn't, we get a 3C cheap somewhere.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Strome has low value, don't see us getting much for him, we have to ride him out now and hope. I think the 2C would be expensive, and I agree, we need a 3c Strome insurance. We might catch somebody looking to unload cap like the Oilers maybe with RNH. i think he is over paid at 6 mill. I would move Domi straight up for him. That type of move, we move a winger where we have depth and take on an over paid C to fill in at 2C/3C. We moved Murphy for Hammer last year, that type of move might be out there. If it isn't, we get a 3C cheap somewhere.

Yeah, absolutely hoping the boss-men sees this. Trading Strome now means they would get bust-price or near bust-price for him. It would be absolutely stupid.

I know what a sunk cost is, and that you should ignore it.

But not in this case.

He has upside. The team trading for him wouldn't admit it, but they would partly do it based on that upside. Keep the upside here. He still might be a super player. If he won't be, the payment we get for him won't be anywhere near what a third overall should be worth anyway. Seing him blossom into a top player on another team would be a big negative psycological cost.

Very annoyed to see so many teams competing in being awful. The proxy of using last years standing for which teams deserves the highest picks are flawed when they lose on purpose. Really should remove the last two or three dozens of games from that formula.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Realistically, is there even a chance of swinging a large trade for Matthews?

I know that it is extremely unlikely to occur, yet I also think we need someone who has some sort of depth to Arizona. Doan had it being tenured here for so long, but there is something about having the value of a player that has roots here.

If Domi is truly a player that we are looking to give a fresh start, would Strome, Domi, and the 2018 1st rounder be in the ballpark to get Matthews? We could take back a salary dump since Domi will be an RFA. (Horton?)

I would have no problem going into next year with center depth of:

Matthews
Stepan
Dvorak
Richardson

Left wing could be interesting, but I like what we have with Perlini, Keller, and Martinook (need to pick up a 3rd line LW) and a right side with Fischer, Panik, and Archibald.

The question would be how much would need to be sent back to Toronto to get Matthews. Slim chance of anything like this happening, but if this is truly still a measure of rebuilding next year, maybe we damage the team shirt term to get Matthews back here long term and make him the future ambassador for the team.

Reactions: Lilhoody

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Zero chance on Mathews. Shouldn't even be considered a possibility that Toronto trades him. None. It's never going to happen. U don't deal franchise players at age 20. It doesn't happen.

Reactions: MIG

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I expect we literally don't have the assets to bring him here even in world where Toronto would actually trade him.

We did a similar thought experiment on Eichel a few months ago, and he's worth less than Matthews due to his contract, play, and injuries. And that's a team much more likely(but still incredibly unlikely) to re-think their rebuild than Toronto, who's rebuild is not even underway anymore it's done.

I think for Auston Matthews you're trading #1 overall (not the first, it must be a won lottery). AND Keller. And probably some more crap thrown in too. Stuff that would hurt to give up. You'd essentially be asking them to dismantle a young playoff team for the hell of it.

And Toronto STILL doesn't make the deal even in a world where they hate Matthews' face and want him gone. Why? They need centers. The stuff we have to offer doesn't actually help them become a better team.

And we'd be outbid.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Domi has developed a mental issue regarding his shot. He’s like a pitcher who suddenly goes wild and can’t throw strikes anymore ala Rick Ankiel. He’s so sure that he’s going to blow a shot that he’s passing up great opportunities for illadvised passes. When there’s no pass, he’s squeezing his stick so damned hard when he does get a shot off that it’s high and wide every damn time. He needs a sports psychologist more than anything. Haha.

Looks like he should start taking shots of vodka pregame as well....:sarcasm:

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
What about a guy like Nick Bonino?
He's a little overpaid and I'm not sure how pleased they are with his play this season so maybe he's available for the right trade. It would instantly improve our center depth plus give us another vet with significant playoff experience over his career.

He's owed $4,100,000 annually over the next three years. I know the contract is a little long but it would allow us to slide Strome to the wing if he doesn't work out as a center.

Nashville:
Merkley
2018 MIN 2nd

Arizona;
Bonino @ 20% retained (he'd cost $3,280,000 per year after that)

or, if they don't want to retain;
Nashville:
Merkley
2019 ARZ 3rd

Arizona:
Bonino

Reactions: Lilhoody

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->