The Coyotes have been eliminated. Now what?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
How did you arrive at the 20% figure? Wouldn't the number of games he missed just be the number of games played by the 3rd string goalie in that span?

We would have to look at NHL seasons where he was expected to be the 2nd goalie. Then we would have to look at games where neither the 1st goalie, nor Raanta played in a game in those seasons. Then we would have to look at whether this 3rd goalie played because Raanta was unable due to injury.

Even then, those numbers would be off. If you're backup is hurt, you might be more likely to just keep playing your starter, even when you'd like to rest him, as nobody really wants to start their 3rd stringer if they can help it.
You are right. Damn calculaltor:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wonder what RFAs become available as teams need to maneuver to fit under the cap?
Isn't the cap going to 80 mill. next year? With the cap going up it hurts the Coyotes more than helps.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Craig Button with high praise for the Coyotes on Leaf's Lunch. Discussion around possible destinations for JVR.

Reactions: RABBIT

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I like JVR, but I'm not sure I see a fit here.
He wasn't suggesting them as an ideal landing spot but another team that might want scoring and have Cap Space. The comment after was the stretch the Coyotes have put together and he thinks it's legit and will gain traction.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Question started with would you pick Buffalo or AZ, more favorable than Sabres, Look at record since second half of season, really good, young players trying to find their way. This team has traction and are clearly heading in the right direction. That was some of the soundbites.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Question started with would you pick Buffalo or AZ, more favorable than Sabres, Look at record since second half of season, really good, young players trying to find their way. This team has traction and are clearly heading in the right direction. That was some of the soundbites.

thanks Jamieh! i thought they were potentially floating the idea of JVR to AZ based off subtext, understood now.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
thanks Jamieh! i thought they were potentially floating the idea of JVR to AZ based off subtext, understood now.
Craig was asked about his top 5 destinations. Host suggested Buffalo and asked Craig if he was JVR would he take Buffalo or AZ as a comparison between lower teams I assume? Craig picked AZ instantly and then backed up why. Host mentioned how he thought JVR and Dvorak would be a good fit. IMO if we can't get top line center maybe improving the wings might be something to consider??

Reactions: Mosby and RABBIT

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Correct.
"Daily stated that final numbers will depend on the growth factor that the NHLPA and NHL agree to, but he thinks the cap will rise $4-5 million for next season." NHL’s Bill Daily Comments on Early Salary Cap Projections

Teams like Chicago will be helped immensely with $5 mil more to spend.
Canadian dollar has dropped about 4 cents since they talked about next year's cap. That will negatively impact the figure so either escrow gets raised or the cap comes in lower.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Craig was asked about his top 5 destinations. Host suggested Buffalo and asked Craig if he was JVR would he take Buffalo or AZ as a comparison between lower teams I assume? Craig picked AZ instantly and then backed up why. Host mentioned how he thought JVR and Dvorak would be a good fit. IMO if we can't get top line center maybe improving the wings might be something to consider??
Chayka absolutely has to improve the wings. Neither Perlini (at the moment) nor Panik should be playing top 6. The Coyotes have Keller and Domi. They need 2 more.

That said, the Coyotes cant really afford an expensive winger on a long term deal. Someone will pay JVR a lot for several years because they need goal scorers.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chayka absolutely has to improve the wings. Neither Perlini (at the moment) nor Panik should be playing top 6. The Coyotes have Keller and Domi. They need 2 more.

That said, the Coyotes cant really afford an expensive winger on a long term deal. Someone will pay JVR a lot for several years because they need goal scorers.
One oF those slots could be addressed with our first rounder.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Obviously I’d take JVR. Who are we to say no to a 30-goal scorer? That said, the contract has to make sense, especially term wise, and as a left-shot LW, where would he fit?

JVR – Stepan – Keller
Domi – Zibanejad – Svechnikov
Perlini – Dvorak – Fischer
Martinook – Richardson – Cousins
Crouse

Something like that? Where we draft Svechnikov and trade Strome for Zibanejad?

I’ve also left out Panik…

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm pretty sure that the Coyotes budget will go up next year, based upon the statements of both Chayka and Barroway. Both say that we are building towards a perennial contender. They know that to make the step into the playoffs they will need to pay for higher end talent.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure that the Coyotes budget will go up next year, based upon the statements of both Chayka and Barroway. Both say that we are building towards a perennial contender. They know that to make the step into the playoffs they will need to pay for higher end talent.

That would be nice. Just hope they spend it really wisely.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I’d be okay trading Strome for a RHD and gunning for Tavares. We can start a go fund me to get his salary paid haha
Assuming it's legal, that would actually be a great way to show a high profile player he's wanted here. I wonder if that would sway someone just knowing the length the fans are going through just to have that player play in their city. I'd assume if this wasn't previously a destination option to JT, it would at the very least open the door to considering it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
AB will have to step up to the plate sooner rather than later, but the rumblings are he has no $$$.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad