The Coyotes are terrible and can't score

NYRKing

Mar 12, 2008
Stat watching but Galchenyuk looks like he's under-performing. The team really doesn't have goal scorers outside of Keller and Chucky so I'm not surprised of the lack of offense.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Galchenyuk also missed preseason with an injury so he came into the season a bit rusty. He's just back off another injury, so all in all, he's probably not played at his best yet. Domi also started off so blisteringly hot, which superficially made the comparison look abysmally bad for the Coyotes. It'll probably end up still in Montreal's favor, but you have to think that the giant gap will close somewhat.

As for Chayka's impatience, I think that's his greatest weakness. He traded Domi after an alleged trade request, but Domi didn't really have the leverage to force that. For comparison, look at Trouba on the Jets and his rescinding of a trade request. He just had to play through it. Domi also injured had also injured his hand, so that may have been dragging down his point totals, particularly if you look at his shooting percentage. It might not just have been poor luck, but rather a weakened/affected release.

The second case of Chayka's impatience coming back to bite him was with the Strome trade. Not really sure why Strome never got to play up higher than the 3rd and 4th lines with more talent this year, but unsurprisingly he excelled immediately upon getting the opportunity with Chicago. The book is still out on that though, so maybe Schmaltz will end up a better player than Strome in the end, but it's still dismaying to see a player be judged on the wrong kinds of opportunities - that's on management and coaching, not the player.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Pathetic franchise. They have no pride. This franchise will stay the laughing stock of the league until they eventually relocate.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
What position do you play, OP

As a player, I was a left shooting shutdown defender who preferred the right side. I blocked a lot of shots, made lots of hits (when I was playing checking hockey), killed penalties, and contributed almost nothing offensively. My spirit animal in the NHL is Niklas Hjalmarsson.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
What has happened to Chucky? Is he playing injured?

lol Chucky is Chucky, you must not have seen him play much before. He has good individual talent (good hands, edgework) but he brings his linemates down. He tries to dangle an entire team on his own and just turns the puck over continuously.

There's nothing more infuriating than playing with a selfish linemate that keeps making you skate back to your d-zone all game because he's selfish. He's also very bad defensively as well. Weak ES player in general, production-wise his bread and butter is being fed PP time and 1 timing pucks.

Always had a good laugh when i saw our fans hyping him up w/ their rose colored glasses on.

Reactions: SenzZen

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
lol Chucky is Chucky, you must not have seen him play much before. He has good individual talent (good hands, edgework) but he brings his linemates down. He tries to dangle an entire team on his own and just turns the puck over continuously.

There's nothing more infuriating than playing with a selfish linemate that keeps making you skate back to your d-zone all game because he's selfish. He's also very bad defensively as well. Weak ES player in general, production-wise his bread and butter is being fed PP time and 1 timing pucks.

Always had a good laugh when i saw our fans hyping him up w/ their rose colored glasses on.
This is not what is going on with him at all. He missed almost all of training camp, and all of the preseason. He started off slow and got injured again. He hasn’t looked bad most of the games he’s played, other than a few where he was invisible, and has actually been one of the few coyotes forwards who can win a board battle and make a play in the offensive zone. The points just aren’t there yet.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is not what is going on with him at all. He missed almost all of training camp, and all of the preseason. He started off slow and got injured again. He hasn’t looked bad most of the games he’s played, other than a few where he was invisible, and has actually been one of the few coyotes forwards who can win a board battle and make a play in the offensive zone. The points just aren’t there yet.

Thx for the breakdown but I've watched him play for the past 7 years.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

I don't want to be an ass, but that's pretty much all he's gonna be. Unless something drastically changes in his mind, he's always gonna left you with the impression of being close, very close, but he'll never be anything more than what you've already seen.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
There was a team that was going to get boned in the 2015 draft. That team turned out to be Arizona.

Reactions: rt

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tocchet sucks. I thought Tippett did at the end too, despite the outdated belief that his teams were stifling defensive teams, which wasn't true for most of his Coyotes years, as they were very bad in shots against for years there. 2011-2012 was Mike Smith having by far a career year and it carried over into the playoffs.

But then they went and replaced Tippett with an even worse head coach. The Tocchet hiring was a mistake and I wonder how long it takes Chayka to realize this. His Tampa Bay teams were awful. I know the goalies were really bad there, but he also has had negative shot on goal differentials by at least 175 in his 3 seasons as a head coach before this, (I know he wasn't the head coach there the entire 08-09) though they are currently at a +14 shot on goal differential this year. They did have some bad goalies last year, Wedgewood is horrific, but they did have 47 games of .930% from Raanta to make Tocchet and staff look ''Respectable''.

John MacLean was a very BAD hire and he's running the PP there? He's literally one of the worst coaches in the history of hockey. His 31 or 33 game head coaching tenure was historically bad and he was always a worthless assistant, even in Jersey. He could never run a power play. If John MacLean is handling your power play, it's gonna be worse than it would be with an average guy coaching it. If he has any input over your offensive game at even strength, it's gonna be worse. You're gonna have a low shooting percentage, well below league norms.

I think it's time to consider these hires a net loss and just move on from them. At least at year's end.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good post.

Chayka is clueless. Everybody makes fun of analytics when he is brought up but his moves aren’t those of an analytical genius at all.
This also.

I always read ''Analytics mean shit! Look at Arizona!'' but that's a common misconception that Arizona is a good analytical team that has a bad record.

They have a -665 (all situations) shot on goal differential since Chayka has been there!

Not all of that is Chayka's fault, as he inherited a lot of the garbage and it did improve quite a bit last year, but I'm still waiting for them to turn into analytics darlings, because they're really not. It's one of the biggest misnomers in hockey and biggest fallacies in the league. That the Coyotes are an example of analytics failing. If anything to do with analytics has failed in Arizona, it's that they're currently failing at becoming good at analytics.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This also.

I always read ''Analytics mean ****! Look at Arizona!'' but that's a common misconception that Arizona is a good analytical team that has a bad record.

They have a -665 (all situations) shot on goal differential since Chayka has been there!

Not all of that is Chayka's fault, as he inherited a lot of the garbage and it did improve quite a bit last year, but I'm still waiting for them to turn into analytics darlings, because they're really not. It's one of the biggest misnomers in hockey and biggest fallacies in the league. That the Coyotes are an example of analytics failing. If anything to do with analytics has failed in Arizona, it's that they're currently failing at becoming good at analytics.

Yeah, the only real “analytics” driven move that I can think of was trading for Stepan, who always had strong underlying metrics. But it doesn’t take an analytical genius to tell you that Stepan is not a legit Stanley Cup #1C.

At any rate, Arizona is dead last in the NHL with a 5V5 GF% of 41.74%. 2nd worst is Florida with 44.03%. That’s just god awful and I’m convinced that if you just build a team based off of analytics, you’ll do better than that.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, the only real “analytics” driven move that I can think of was trading for Stepan, who always had strong underlying metrics. But it doesn’t take an analytical genius to tell you that Stepan is not a legit Stanley Cup #1C.

At any rate, Arizona is dead last in the NHL with a 5V5 GF% of 41.74%. 2nd worst is Florida with 44.03%. That’s just god awful and I’m convinced that if you just build a team based off of analytics, you’ll do better than that.

We didn't trade for Stepan to contend. We trade for him to not look like complete idiots.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
When is this team gonna move to Hartford or even Yellowknife so they would have some actual fans.

They are still lucky to have Keller and Raanta in the team. But where the heck are the rest? Trading Domi was also so stupid...

Hockey doesn't belong in the dessert.

Reactions: Ibanezrokr
Nov 24, 2006
When is this team gonna move to Hartford or even Yellowknife so they would have some actual fans.

They are still lucky to have Keller and Raanta in the team. But where the heck are the rest? Trading Domi was also so stupid...

Hockey doesn't belong in the dessert.

5a2bc6ae-782b-4559-92eb-f084b1b170ed.jpg

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

Whats going in with him is whats always been going in with him - he can’t skate at an NHL level. And imo he is getting slower. I’ve watched him play hundreds of full games and from the first I was suprised at how hard it is for him to keep up with the play. Further, he only has one burst - if the puck changes possession a few times he is not able to transition. His conditioning st healthy is suspect - not sure if he is carrying to much weight/muscle but he has 30 good seconds max.

He does have a place and will score goals if you can get him a ton of o zone starts, lots of PP time and get him the puck in space. He is an 80s/90/ one dimensional goal scorer, reminds me of Glen Murray.

I think full camp Galch is a 25/25 guy and that this year is a wash, but he is hard to work into the lineup as he can’t carry a line and needs 60 point linemates to be a 50 point player.

As a Habs fan I never fell in love with him like other guys, he needed our best players to have any level of success. And his skating is painful to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00